7PRC/7mm rem over 300 prc

Ajsomp

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
So after carrying and owning my 300 PRC for a few years, and after seeing my hunting partner bring his new 7PRC out to Idaho for our elk/mule deer trip and put down one of each - I’m honestly considering the leap. I’ll preface - I am looking into factory rifle options and factory ammo (for now). After shooting my buddies browning, and seeing the speed SR versions available (as I plan to hunt dedicated suppressed), I’m likely snagging one in either 7mm rem or 7PRC.

The 7PRC is 20”, and the 7 rem mag version is a 22” with 1:8 twist, which should stabilize heavier bullets (if I wanted to get something from UM or copper creek) or stick with factory options. I hate relying on one manufacturer for ammo, and have lived through this with my 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC already. But I’ve seen several recommendations for 7PRC if I don’t already own a 7mm. Should I just snag the prc and hope for more ammo options in the future?

Or am I just short sighted to ditch my 300prc for 7mm?

OP
Ajsomp

Ajsomp

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
So you have a 6.5prc? What advantages do you see in a 7prc over a 6.5prc?
I sold my 6.5 prc a few years back when I couldn’t get ammo other than 147s. I had 300 wm for large game and 308 for anything shorter. Didn’t really see a big need to keep it

Sako300

WKR
The Hornady factory Eldx and Eldms in the 7 PRC will get you about 2800-2850 out of a 20 inch barrel. Do the numbers with the factory 300 PRC and see if those numbers make a big difference, especially past 1000 yards.

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
I just finished helping my buddy out with getting some dope for his 7prc, I threw my chrono on, he was shooting suppressed and he was hovering around 2700fps with factory 180eldms out of a 24” barrel. I wasn’t impressed considering the fact that my 300prc is shooting 220s at 2925fps (hand loads). I get the less recoil but doesn’t seem like a reasonable trade off for me, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just finished helping my buddy out with getting some dope for his 7prc, I threw my chrono on, he was shooting suppressed and he was hovering around 2700fps with factory 180eldms out of a 24” barrel. I wasn’t impressed considering the fact that my 300prc is shooting 220s at 2925fps (hand loads). I get the less recoil but doesn’t seem like a reasonable trade off for me, in my opinion.

He shouldn’t be in the 2700s for long with a 24” barrel. I’m in the high 2800s with a 22” barrel shooting the 175s. And that’s with the slower Hornady Box ammo. Folks are getting close to the 3000 mark with the Federal 175s.

OP
Ajsomp

Ajsomp

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
It produces a good bit less recoil and will kill anything just as dead at the same distances.
That’s kind of what I’m seeing, at least at the distances and animals I’m after. But I’m not sure it’s worth switching calibers to 7 rem or 7 PRC. Though I really want to shorten to 20” and it seems like 7PRC would be easier to push the heavier bullets if I worked up a load with UM for example.

Just have UM build you a "factory" 7PRC on a Tikka action. Unless you need to shoot copper monos I'm not sure why you need more options than ELDM or ELDX? If you're shooting past 800yds you'll probably need to handload for more velocity with a 20" barrel.

If you're comparing apples to apples (similar barrel lengths, bullet types and factory loads), I thought the 7PRC outshined even the 300PRC out past 700ish yds? Comparing someone's hot handloads for 300PRCs against factory 7PRC options isn't really informative.

My Tikka action/Proof Carbon 20" rifle shoots factory Hornady ELD-M's near half MOA at 2720 fps average. Handloads or custom loads would comfortably get you up near 2800fps. This is also a super light setup (sub 9lbs scoped and fully loaded mag) that's very manageable to shoot.

My personal opinion is you should go with 7PRC over the RM. It’s just a more efficient/newer version that lets you shoot heavier and higher BC bullets from the factory. I went through the same process when I was deciding on my first magnum (7RMvsPRC) and just decided that it didn’t make sense to choose a slightly less efficient version of the same round. There’s been plenty of 7PRC available in the big box stores and I think more companies are working on some cool high BC 7PRC options as well. Just a really cool round.

Shooting mine suppressed us really nice as well. Very manageable recoil.

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
Just have UM build you a "factory" 7PRC on a Tikka action. Unless you need to shoot copper monos I'm not sure why you need more options than ELDM or ELDX? If you're shooting past 800yds you'll probably need to handload for more velocity with a 20" barrel.

If you're comparing apples to apples (similar barrel lengths, bullet types and factory loads), I thought the 7PRC outshined even the 300PRC out past 700ish yds? Comparing someone's hot handloads for 300PRCs against factory 7PRC options isn't really informative.

My Tikka action/Proof Carbon 20" rifle shoots factory Hornady ELD-M's near half MOA at 2720 fps average. Handloads or custom loads would comfortably get you up near 2800fps. This is also a super light setup (sub 9lbs scoped and fully loaded mag) that's very manageable to shoot.

I wasn’t meaning for it to be comparable, I was just stating what I have seen. I had UM load some berger 215s as I was around 2800 for my 300prc. I don’t see the benefit over a 7prc other than recoil, and my 300prc is 10.2 lbs scoped and bipod and it’s manageable to shoot, I’ve put 40 rounds through it in a day at the range and was fine. As far as ballistics go, I’m not sure of the 180eldm outshining the 225 eldm last 700 yards? With the 180 having a G7 of .401 and the 225 having a g7 of .391, I don’t think you will see a massive difference, and losing 45 grains of bullet weight. Just my opinion tho. Either round is freakin nasty on animals.

z987k

WKR
I wasn’t meaning for it to be comparable, I was just stating what I have seen. I had UM load some berger 215s as I was around 2800 for my 300prc. I don’t see the benefit over a 7prc other than recoil, and my 300prc is 10.2 lbs scoped and bipod and it’s manageable to shoot, I’ve put 40 rounds through it in a day at the range and was fine. As far as ballistics go, I’m not sure of the 180eldm outshining the 225 eldm last 700 yards? With the 180 having a G7 of .401 and the 225 having a g7 of .391, I don’t think you will see a massive difference, and losing 45 grains of bullet weight. Just my opinion tho. Either round is freakin nasty on animals.

The 300prc is kind of in another class than the 7. The 300 case is 13gr larger.
Just going off Nosler's load data, 9lb gun -
185gr bullet + 65gr of powder = 25.93ft-lbs of recoil.
210gr bullet + 79.5gr powder = 39.82ft-lbs recoil.

That's 35% more recoil. That is a lot. 40ft-lbs of recoil isn't shootable by most people if we're being honest. Even half that with a brake or 60% of it suppressed is above where the average shooter isn't suffering accuracy at a fairly high degree. You really need that 300prc in a 15lb gun to tame it down.
Braked or suppressed at 50-40% the 26lbs of the 7prc is a lot more manageable, still a touch high.

But the 300 isn't going to kill anything better than the 7 will. Both are lethal on everything in N.A. out past 1000yards. Again, lets be honest, who's actually shooting animals at 1000? There's probably a couple dozen people in the country that can ethically do that. Inside 4-500 the 300 has more speed and energy, but they're both hitting like a freight train at those distances. No animal is going to survive either with a half well placed shot.

Based on the ballistic charts on both, again using nosler load data with the ablr, the 300 buys you about another 100 yards of lethal speed and energy, but that 100 yards is so far past where people take shots, who cares.

For me, I look at the recoil and speed at 500 and go, why even a 7prc? Why not something down in the 284win or 7-08 powder capacity with a faster twist rate for the exact same ability to kill the same animal at the same distance a hunter is going to take shots with half again the recoil.

The 300prc is an ultra niche cartridge that almost no one needs. The 7 fills the roll for people that think they need a magnum but don't but can probably still shoot it.

Last edited:
OP
Ajsomp

Ajsomp

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved

I only keep the copper monos in mind as I might have an opportunity for an elk hunt next year in California - so although not my top choice, I’d have to keep that in mind. It’s also not that being limited by bullet choices is bad - but like I said before- I’ve seen what happens when ammo from the one manufacturer becomes scarce. I remember when Mile high was selling 212 eld-x 300 prc for $70+ per box simply because it wasn’t available.

I have no doubt the UM options are fantastic - saw a few they had up for sale recently. I’m just not looking to spend another 3k on a rifle that I use once or twice a year. I’d rather spend the money on tags or a honestly. Especially when most factory guns now are shooting Moa or better with factory ammo.

That's 35% more recoil. That is a lot. 40ft-lbs of recoil isn't shootable by most people if we're being honest. Even half that with a brake or 60% of it suppressed is above where the average shooter isn't suffering accuracy at a fairly high degree. You really need that 300prc in a 15lb gun to tame it down.
Braked or suppressed at 50-40% the 26lbs of the 7prc is a lot more manageable, still a touch high.

But the 300 isn't going to kill anything better than the 7 will. Both are lethal on everything in N.A. out past 1000yards. Again, lets be honest, who's actually shooting animals at 1000? There's probably a couple dozen people in the country that can ethically do that. Inside 4-500 the 300 has more speed and energy, but they're both hitting like a freight train at those distances. No animal is going to survive either with a half well placed shot.

Based on the ballistic charts on both, again using nosler load data with the ablr, the 300 buys you about another 100 yards of lethal speed and energy, but that 100 yards is so far past where people take shots, who cares.

For me, I look at the recoil and speed at 500 and go, why even a 7prc? Why not something down in the 284win or 7-08 powder capacity with a faster twist rate for the exact same ability to kill the same animal at the same distance a hunter is going to take shots with half again the recoil.

The 300prc is an ultra niche cartridge that almost no one needs. The 7 fills the roll or people that think they need a magnum but don't but can probably still shoot it.
I mean at the time I switched from a 300wm Christensen Arms to 300 prc because I was still subscribed to “must have a 30 cal magnum for elk” mantra. I’ve since seen elk killed with 6.5 prc, 7PRC, 300wm, 300 prc and all produced results within reasonable and ethical ranges. I have no intention of shooting an animal over 1000 consistently. Do I have the capability as a shooter - yes. Thankful for my work experience which gave me a good foundation for long range hunting. But to the point of 300 PRC - if I’m hunting ultralight why beat myself up if I’m going to try to keep shots 600 and in? Only reason I considered 7PRC is that browning has the speed sr in 20” which paired with a suppressor makes for a lightweight and capable package. Now, I’m not married to the cartridge or the gun itself - but out the gate it seemed like a decent option that fit my parameters - light, shorter barrel to hunt suppressed, factory option under 1500.

SDHNTR

WKR
Meh

The 300prc is an ultra niche cartridge that almost no one needs. The 7 fills the roll or people that think they need a magnum but don't but can probably still shoot it.
Way too much Nerding out on numbers behind a computer screen and not enough trigger time! My skinny 13yr old shoots my braked 9lb .300 prc with ease.

z987k

WKR
Meh

Way too much Nerding out on numbers behind a computer screen and not enough trigger time! My skinny 13yr old shoots my braked 9lb .300 prc with ease.
Not as accurately as they do a 6cm.

I thought this was rokslide, where we acknowledge virtually no one shoots heavy recoil as well as they shoot low recoil. And bullets in lethal areas are better than cannon balls that miss or hit in the gut.

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
Not as accurately as they do a 6cm.

I thought this was rokslide, where we acknowledge virtually no one shoots heavy recoil as well as they shoot low recoil. And bullets in lethal areas are better than cannon balls that miss or hit in the gut.

But then why not use a .243? Or even a 22 creed? I completely understand that less recoil Usually means more accuracy and fast target acquisition for follow up shots, it’s proven. But, I do not agree that a 300prc is too big of a cartridge and that it’s pointless to own. An experienced shooter should be accurate enough to shoot a 300prc at 500-700 yards, and be accurate enough to send a well placed follow up shot… and if he’s not, he’s probably not as experienced as he says… just my two sense, from a guy that shot his bull at 760 yards with a 300prc, double lung shot, he spun (dead on his feet) shot again, hitting him about 2” lower than the first shot. Not trying to sound conceited but just saying I’ve only been long range shooting for 4 or 5 years now and I was very comfortable with the shot, the follow up shot and the recoil.

Gila

WKR
Only reason I considered 7PRC is that browning has the speed sr in 20” which paired with a suppressor makes for a lightweight and capable package. Now, I’m not married to the cartridge or the gun itself - but out the gate it seemed like a decent option that fit my parameters - light, shorter barrel to hunt suppressed, factory option under 1500.
I think that you have explained your shooting style and what you want to shoot rather well. I beleive that Browning you describe above would do you well in 7 PRC. Certainly nothing wrong with the 7 PRC cartridge. It is just new and eventually the factory ammo will be there. As for me, I don’t shoot suppressed so 22-24” barrel fits my hunting style. The paradigm shift is moving away from long action cartridges to short action cartridges for the most obvious of reasons. I have “down-sized” literally. I switched barrels on my 300 win mag and now it is a 6.8 Western. That is my “heavy hitter” now. As the years roll by, my packs get lighter and so do my rifles.