Overrated Gear

t_carlson

WKR
Same. My 97 is one of my oldest Kuiu pieces at around 5 years old. It's always in the pack and probably my most worn piece of clothing. It's still totally fine save for some pulls and snags here and there on the sleeves.

Kuiu has improved the durability of some of their pieces. I had an early Peloton 240 that you couldn't hardly look at without getting a snag. A buddy got one a few years later and I mentioned it to him. He said his was pretty much bulletproof. So, I bought another one, and sure enough, very durable now.

I had a 97 when they were first released and it got holes and snags very easily too. Sold it. Haven't tried one since.

Man, a switch might be long overdue. Recommended models? I'm a red devotee but sometimes it's nice to have a cold white available.

Peax has 1 headlamp.

3 white(max 1000lumen!), 3 red settings. USB to micro usb rechargeable and battery lasts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobbyboe

WKR
This may be unpopular, but a tipi and stove! I bought into the hype and got the worst sleep ever! I decided being comfortable, warm, well rested and fed trump any advantage a tipi gave me. I’d rather hike further everyday and be comfortable than suffer/survive in a tipi.

SwiftShot

WKR
Mine was a Jet Boil. Worked just like it should except for the ignition on it. Besides that was what it said it was.
Replaced it for less money with a toaks 650 ml pot a uber small burner from Amazon for 7 dollars. New kit weighs 1/3 of the old kit for less money and works just as well. Oh takes up half the space.

Macchina

Lil-Rokslider
Expensive multi tools. Got a Leatherman Skeletool for ~$80 that I never use.
A cheap walmart multi tool is ~$6, has more tools, weighs only half an ounce more and i don't care if I lose it. Probably not as durable but whatever... I'll replace it if needed without second thought. I'm much more likely to lose it than to break it any way.

I'm sorry, but I think you're way off on this. The Skeletool specifically is an awesome tool to carry in place of a folding knife (it has a pocket clip and one hand opening blade). It's excellent when you're hunting with a lot of equipment (archery or quads). I have gutted and skinned game before with a Skeletool and it worked great.

Chinese pliers rarely grip as well as the sharp teeth you find on USA or Swiss made multitools.

I love Leatherman's and Victorinox multitools. Certain tools work OK on cheap tools, but things like saws, wire cutters, and screwdrivers are worlds different. It sucks to strip out a Phillips screw in the backcountry because your multitool wasn't up to the task. The saw on a multitool has completely replaced a seperate hand saw for me, I am able to cut small branches from a tree I'm sitting in much easier with a multitool saw than swinging my Silky around.

twall13

WKR
I'm sorry, but I think you're way off on this. The Skeletool specifically is an awesome tool to carry in place of a folding knife (it has a pocket clip and one hand opening blade). It's excellent when you're hunting with a lot of equipment (archery or quads). I have gutted and skinned game before with a Skeletool and it worked great.

Chinese pliers rarely grip as well as the sharp teeth you find on USA or Swiss made multitools.

I love Leatherman's and Victorinox multitools. Certain tools work OK on cheap tools, but things like saws, wire cutters, and screwdrivers are worlds different. It sucks to strip out a Phillips screw in the backcountry because your multitool wasn't up to the task. The saw on a multitool has completely replaced a seperate hand saw for me, I am able to cut small branches from a tree I'm sitting in much easier with a multitool saw than swinging my Silky around.
I have to agree with you. My Skeletool is my daily pocket knife. It doesn't have a ton of tools, but it has the tools I use regularly and they work well. Screw drivers, pliers and a knife get me through most of the tasks I need on a daily basis. I have some cheap Cabela's multitools in that $6 range and they just don't work very well when I actually go to use them.

rclouse79

WKR
Ditto. Kuiu would be my answer as well.....
I am sure a lot of their stuff is fine, but the idea that the consumer is getting a better quality/price ratio by cutting out the middleman is laughable. I have had cheap stuff hold up better and have had better customer service experiences with different high quality/expensive gear companies.

Tikka - they are the new M700. Accuracy is hit and miss and their customer service sucks. Most people rebarrel and put a new stock and trigger and end up way more than the $700 or $800 they cost. Like I said, they are the new Rem 700’s.
Blasphemy!!!

I just recently got another tikka, so I have to act offended… I did put it in a new stock before I shot it, but I haven’t swapped the barrel…. Yet😂

Last edited:
I invested heavily in #elkshape, #hushin and #BRO branded merchandise, including exclusive flat brim hats. None of it made me a stone cold killer. What gives? Highly overrated.
None of it matters without gritty, you need some gritty base layers, since that will be your foundation for success… actually growing a rat tail will also show you’re serious and dedicated… assuming you already have a fire bull sticker in your back window

Blasphemy!!!

I just recently got another tikka, so I have to act offended… I did put it in a new stock before I shot it, but I haven’t swapped the barrel…. Yet😂
Lol, I used to have several M700’s. First thing you did is swap the trigger for a timney or TT, and put it in a new stock. If it didn’t shoot, it was off to be rebarreled. 🤷🏻‍♂️

SwiftShot

WKR
Any hunting branded pant. I have KUIU, First Lite and a Sitka. I hunt mostly September Archery. My go too pant is a 19 dollar Costco Stretchy Pant in Tan or Green. They just rock for Early season and for the money. Wow, the remind me of a Hiker pant from REI I had back in the day.

Man, a switch might be long overdue. Recommended models? I'm a red devotee but sometimes it's nice to have a cold white available.

[mention]dingle [/mention] I wear headlamps 4-6 hours every day. I mostly use red light, but occasionally I need white as well. Black Diamond Spot and Storm haven’t worked for me, I don’t like the buttons or the electronic whine.

I have switched every headlamp I own over to the Princeton-Tec Remix Pro. I 100% recommend. I’m also a red devotee; the Remix Pro always starts red, regardless of the last setting. A long-press on the oversized button switches to white. Double press for brighter red/white.

I’ve worn it in the rain and cold and it’s the only headlamp I’ve found that I can easily operate while wearing gloves. I own 3 so far and will keep buying them until I can’t.

[mention]dingle [/mention] I wear headlamps 4-6 hours every day. I mostly use red light, but occasionally I need white as well. Black Diamond Spot and Storm haven’t worked for me, I don’t like the buttons or the electronic whine.

I have switched every headlamp I own over to the Princeton-Tec Remix Pro. I 100% recommend. I’m also a red devotee; the Remix Pro always starts red, regardless of the last setting. A long-press on the oversized button switches to white. Double press for brighter red/white.

I’ve worn it in the rain and cold and it’s the only headlamp I’ve found that I can easily operate while wearing gloves. I own 3 so far and will keep buying them until I can’t.

I’ve fallen in LOVE with my new Peax headlamp! I’d gladly give all of my old Black Diamond headlamps(I think 8,lol) for 1 Peax. 3 settings each on White AND RED, 1000 lumen on high, and what I love the most is that on high, both are a spotlight, not flood!

First Lite product of choice. None of it fits, performs or holds up well, I end up selling if I can manage to guess which size will fit me that isn’t my normal size, otherwise just return and move on. Their products in the early days were nice and solid for the most part. Each of the last 4-5 years they have gone progressively downhill and gotten more expensive at the same time even after going direct to consumer.
You will be far happier all around by going to any of the competitors.

SwiftShot

WKR
I’ve fallen in LOVE with my new Peax headlamp! I’d gladly give all of my old Black Diamond headlamps(I think 8,lol) for 1 Peax. 3 settings each on White AND RED, 1000 lumen on high, and what I love the most is that on high, both are a spotlight, not flood!

I have went through a few headlamps. I jog late, switched to the Fenix HM50R. Love it plus it is rechargeable, for me that is helpful. Running it 4 times a week the rechargeable is awesome.