Overrated Gear

Let’s face it, we have all been sucked into the hype surrounding a product, only to be disappointed about performance in the field. Nonetheless, failures in performance, function, and durability can become a big issue fast in our pursuit, and they are good to know about. Especially in an environment full of paid promotion.

What overhyped gear has disappointed you or failed on you? What was the shortcoming or failure? How could the product be improved upon? Have you found a better option?

This isn’t meant to be a negative thread, but rather a place to bring to light the flaws in over-hyped products, in hopes of making them better or glorifying superior options. I realize that a lot of this stuff is personal preference, so let’s try not spend time bickering back and forth on who is right or wrong, offer constructive advice on a fix or alternative option or move along.

NDGuy

WKR
Years ago I bought a 1000 yard Leupold laser rangefinder. Spent the extra coin and got the LED (red) reticle. I could never get ranges beyond 650 yards, and over years the reticle degraded and degraded and now only the inner most portions are visible.
Basically all Rangefinder's cut in half whatever range they tout on their marketing.

OP
A piece of gear that I have put through the paces recently that has performed less than perfect for me, is the Outdoor Research Crocodile Gaiters.

Is the fabric durable, yes. Is it waterproof, yes. Is it tear resistant, yes.

My primary, maybe petty complaint is that they sag down and bunch up every time I wear them. It’s uncomfortable, makes them noisier, and robs me of coverage. Does it drive me absolutely nuts, yes.

I bought them to compliment my Kuiu Yukon gaiters, which are still functioning and fully waterproof, but are showing some wear after about 4 seasons of use. The hype convinced me it was time to upgrade. I don’t know why I even bothered to fix something that wasn’t broken. My Yukon’s have taken a lot of abuse, they are more comfortable, more breatheable, quieter, plenty waterproof and they do not sag.

I gave the crocodiles a fair opportunity. I wore the Crocodiles for roughly 20 days worth of my season last year, in a variety of conditions ranging from Alaska caribou hunt to late season Idaho deer hunting and even a couple rainy days during elk season in September. They did ok. They just didn’t perform at the level of the hype.

So far, I have grabbed the old trusty Yukon’s on every trip to the hills, so far this year.

fatlander

WKR
Preference points

The sun is setting on ever drawing a tag in the true preference point schemes.

They’re a cash cow for the states, and it’s going to get uglier before (if) it ever gets better. True random is the only thing that should have ever been instituted but that ship has sailed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jbxl20

WKR
What is the cheap alternative you’d compare it to?
Mine is a sun year. I bought last year on sale for less than $30. The chair is a little heavier but the fabric is thicker and the chair itself sits a little higher and feels a little sturdier. Also holds up to ashes a lot better than a helinox if using it around a campfire

NDGuy

WKR
For me it be a kifaru pack i bought an ran last year for elk hunting. Ill pry get some backlash on this but i could not have been more dissapointed in it. I came home and ordered an Exo pack ; havent used it for elk yet but from testing it ,it feels a lot better.
Packs are really about fit more than anything when you get to the higher brands.

What didn't you like?

BBob

WKR
I also have some Kuiu Alpine pants I never wear because whenever they get wet they absorb water and take a while to dry.
Same but I much improved them with Nikwax TX Direct wash in. I had some other stuff I needed to refresh and threw them in as an experiment.

WoodBow

WKR
Thermarest ultralite cot. I packed it in one time and then sold it. My buddy bought a cheap knock off for a fraction of the cost and it worked just the same. I may have actually slept worse on it. Just one more thing to have to setup and tear down.

Merino for any layer other than next to skin. I don't care what they say, merino is a piss poor insulator compared to synthetic. I about froze to death wearing $1000 of FL merino on an elk hunt. Learned my lesson.

jhm2023

WKR
The rain cover for AGC bino harness. I love my AGC Kodiak max to carry all the stuff I want to always have on my person when I drop my pack without adding a bunch of pouches. I just really wish they would have made it from a waterproof fabric or have a waterproof membrane and waterproof zippers. I purchased one of their rain covers and they sew a big absorbent patch on the front that leaks and needs to be seam sealed. Also the slits in the top for the harness straps stretch open and leak water too. It really just prolongs the inevitable wet bino case and I end up have to wear it under my rain gear anyway, which I hate to do. First world problems I know.

A piece of gear that I have put through the paces recently that has performed less than perfect for me, is the Outdoor Research Crocodile Gaiters.

Is the fabric durable, yes. Is it waterproof, yes. Is it tear resistant, yes.

My primary, maybe petty complaint is that they sag down and bunch up every time I wear them. It’s uncomfortable, makes them noisier, and robs me of coverage. Does it drive me absolutely nuts, yes.

I bought them to compliment my Kuiu Yukon gaiters, which are still functioning and fully waterproof, but are showing some wear after about 4 seasons of use. The hype convinced me it was time to upgrade. I don’t know why I even bothered to fix something that wasn’t broken. My Yukon’s have taken a lot of abuse, they are more comfortable, more breatheable, quieter, plenty waterproof and they do not sag.

I gave the crocodiles a fair opportunity. I wore the Crocodiles for roughly 20 days worth of my season last year, in a variety of conditions ranging from Alaska caribou hunt to late season Idaho deer hunting and even a couple rainy days during elk season in September. They did ok. They just didn’t perform at the level of the hype.

So far, I have grabbed the old trusty Yukon’s on every trip to the hills, so far this year.
May want to check out the peax gaiters if you want a bombproof option to compliment the Yukon… Yukon is tough to beat though

I have peax, kuiu Yukon and kutana (both are great, kutana is more light duty but still tough) still have some really old Sitka flash gaiters too, which I love for dryer weather gaiters that don’t have any Velcro.