Overrated Gear

Pdzoller

WKR
That’s no joke! The kings of overrated.
Just missed the biggest blacktail I’ve ever put my scope on due to a malfunction in the elevation turret of a viper hs. Obviously not the top of the line option but still shouldn’t have happened. I have lost all confidence in it and it will be sent in and then sold.

AkRyan

WKR
My biggest disappointment gear wise that I can recall is the kryptek takur rain gear… complete waste of money, lots of annoying design flaws, and didn’t serve it’s one purpose… keeping me dry

After a few days wearing it, I was getting soaked, they pinhole out with very little exposure to brush… tie for the worst rain gear I have owned which was Sitka downpour.. stormfront lite wasn’t much better, but better than the downpour or takur.

I’m sure there are others, but the takur is fresh on my mind and very disappointing reading a lot of positive reviews on it… I don’t trust any rain gear reviews unless it’s from someone who hunts a lot on the Oregon/Washington coast or SE AK, there aren’t many who beat up rain gear applicable to me
Interesting I've ran mine in the alaskan brush for 2 seasons now. Did you contact them?

Interesting I've ran mine in the alaskan brush for 2 seasons now. Did you contact them?
I didn’t, I didn’t want another set of that gear.

I know many have had good luck with it, but it’s not the right rain gear for me… a little bit of salmonberry and it was all pinholed out.

When it was new, both side zips leaked pretty bad, and the big loud metal zipper pulls were poorly chosen for hunting gear, and other zipper pulls too small to grab with cold or gloved hands… I could get by those annoyances, I cut the loud ones off right away, and could live with the rest, but it was obvious they weren’t designed by someone who hunts in wet weather much… if it wasn’t for the durability, I would have been content with them, but durability is where the rubber meets the road for me, and very few types of rain gear last a season for me… kuiu is the only rain gear I have bought more than once, and by far the most durable out of the bunch I have tried…

I listened to the owner talk about the takur on a podcast and he said it’s not made for wearing all the time in really wet weather or busting brush… I agree with him

I know some value breathability, I don’t, give me bomb proof gear with side zips and pit zips and I’m happy… the kuiu Yukon and kutana are that perfect line for me for comfort walking in it all day and long term durability.

If they are holding up for you where you are hunting, that’s all that matters, my experience is probably not applicable to most, but there just isn’t much that holds up to salmonberry and briars.

The original kuiu chugach was my favorite of all time, since it went to NX it lost durability for me, I think it’s stretch made it more self healing for pinholes… I’m hoping the first lite omen is another good option for me, because I’m not a kuiu fan, but so far, their rain gear and gaiters have been the best option for me

I hope your rain gear keeps impressing you, I know many love it, I had high hopes, it just didn’t hold up and I didn’t care to contact them because I didn’t want them replaced, it would just happen again, and I don’t feel right about making a warranty claim then selling it, so like most things that don’t work for me, I eat the expense and buy something else

dank

FNG
moleskin... the day I learned about leukotape changed my life. Praise the lord for this sticky little wonder!

Seeknelk

WKR
And one more for the black diamond headlight buttons!!!
I have Black diamond and zebralight. Black diamond is straight forward compared to Zebralight. I suppose zebra has neat technology but I miss being able to switch from flood to spot like my OLD black diamond, so with zebra your just picking what kinda beam you want for life. Can't change it. Overrated.

Just missed the biggest blacktail I’ve ever put my scope on due to a malfunction in the elevation turret of a viper hs. Obviously not the top of the line option but still shouldn’t have happened. I have lost all confidence in it and it will be sent in and then sold.
When you get it back, PM me, I an interested in buying it from you.

Tikka - they are the new M700. Accuracy is hit and miss and their customer service sucks. Most people rebarrel and put a new stock and trigger and end up way more than the $700 or $800 they cost. Like I said, they are the new Rem 700’s.

Izzy208

FNG
Any hunting boot that says under armor on it. Only thing they have going is comfort. They leak something crazy and don’t hold up to the rigors of hunting.

Htm84

WKR
As someone who’s far from intelligent it’s crazy to me how many people find headlamp buttons difficult.

Black diamond storm

Big button on/off and hold to brighten or dim

Small button cycles between colors and flood/spot light.
Press it once to cycle between spot/flood/color
when it lands on a color hold it to change colors.
Big button twice is strobe
hold both together til the blue light flashes to lock/unlock.