Overrated Gear

sivart

WKR
agree. The Outdoor Edge is much handier than the Havalon. More rigid, and you can actually pry with it a little. I used Havalons for the last 10 years. After I used my buddies OE, I had to get one.

Drenalin

WKR
As someone who’s far from intelligent it’s crazy to me how many people find headlamp buttons difficult.

Black diamond storm

Big button on/off and hold to brighten or dim

Small button cycles between colors and flood/spot light.
Press it once to cycle between spot/flood/color
when it lands on a color hold it to change colors.
Big button twice is strobe
hold both together til the blue light flashes to lock/unlock.
I didn't mind the buttons, but my experience with two of the Spot models is that 50% of them randomly stop working for no obvious reason. Not the battery, no trauma or damage to the light, it just quit. Hard to call a $30 headlamp overrated, but I was glad to discover I couldn't trust them before I was in a position where a light would have been necessary rather than handy.

Drenalin

WKR
Off the top of my head, stuff that doesn't work for me:

Kifaru pack
SG pack
Mystery Ranch pack
Kuiu packs
Kuiu Peloton 97
Kuiu Peloton 240 (specifically the "wind resistance")
Sitka lightweight hoody
Enlightened Equipment quilts
Sea to Summit pads (comfort is fine, not amazing, but warmth and weight suck)
Tyto knives (other replaceable blade knives are fine)
Jetboil (no issues, but no discernable benefit for me over the cheap BRS and a pot)

Kifaru pack
SG pack
Mystery Ranch pack
Kuiu packs
Kuiu Peloton 97
Sitka lightweight hoody
Jetboil (no issues, but no discernable benefit for me over the cheap BRS and a pot)
I've gotta somewhat agree with the principle here.

Running value deals or outta the box solutions..I seem to be the only guy that can carry 5 days gear in an under 3000cuin bag, with room and weight to spare....

.....running coleman, ozark trail, amazon specials and basspro/cabelas (ascend) stuff....

....and in comfort and heat...

Whachya need all them liters and logos for?

what-huh.gif

dank

FNG

Kifaru pack
SG pack
Mystery Ranch pack
Kuiu packs
Kuiu Peloton 97
Sitka lightweight hoody
Peloton 97 is my jam. Saves me 10 oz over my other mid layer options!! Rips easy but who cares. Holes and pilling don’t really reduce its effectiveness.

Drenalin

WKR
I've gotta somewhat agree with the principle here.

Running value deals or outta the box solutions..I seem to be the only guy that can carry 5 days gear in an under 3000cuin bag, with room and weight to spare....

.....running coleman, ozark trail, amazon specials and basspro/cabelas (ascend) stuff....

....and in comfort and heat...

Whachya need all them liters and logos for?

View attachment 472647
Don’t get me wrong, I like expensive gear. But a lot of it is overhyped and turns out to be pretty disappointing when I try it for myself. Some turns out to be outstanding. And lots of folks have the exact opposite experiences as me, so it’s good to have choices.

I will say though, to your point, a lot of us seem to be spending a good chunk of money chasing what turns out to be marginal gains. Attitude is more important than the stuff.

Drenalin

WKR
Peloton 97 is my jam. Saves me 10 oz over my other mid layer options!! Rips easy but who cares. Holes and pilling don’t really reduce its effectiveness.
I’ll be one of the first to admit that we all have preferences and my experiences will not necessarily be everyone else’s. I’m glad it works for you.

I had the hoodie and the bottoms. Durability was poor, but that was way down my list of dislikes. The hood, fit wise, was awful and completely useless. I despised the amount of static electricity it held, which made taking it off and putting it on a PITA. The zip off bottoms were not life changing for me, I strongly prefer not jacking around with my undies and just carry puffy pants now instead. Wasn’t impressed with the warmth enough to offset any of those concerns. I’ll take the weight penalty and stick with Sitka’s heavyweight hoodie for a mid.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ll be one of the first to admit that we all have preferences and my experiences will not necessarily be everyone else’s. I’m glad it works for you.

I had the hoodie and the bottoms. Durability was poor, but that was way down my list of dislikes. The hood, fit wise, was awful and completely useless. I despised the amount of static electricity it held, which made taking it off and putting it on a PITA. The zip off bottoms were not life changing for me, I strongly prefer not jacking around with my undies and just carry puffy pants now instead. Wasn’t impressed with the warmth enough to offset any of those concerns. I’ll take the weight penalty and stick with Sitka’s heavyweight hoodie for a mid.
Interesting. I’ve had the exact opposite experience. In fact I’m a total peloton 97 fan boy.

As someone who’s far from intelligent it’s crazy to me how many people find headlamp buttons difficult.

Black diamond storm

Big button on/off and hold to brighten or dim

Small button cycles between colors and flood/spot light.
Press it once to cycle between spot/flood/color
when it lands on a color hold it to change colors.
Big button twice is strobe
hold both together til the blue light flashes to lock/unlock.
1667965251166.jpeg

TX1

FNG
I'll ruffle some feathers here....TOYOTA.

I bought a 2006 loaded Tacoma TRD because I heard all the hype....What a POS.

Immediately I noticed the rear springs were flat and the 'truck' would bottom out with nothing in the bed, over speed bumps.
Toyota corporate told me I was crazy until some years later when they were forced to issue a recall and then refused my reimbursement request for the springs because I didn't have the dealer diagnose the problem.

Add to that the weakest frame (Tundra, too) of any pickup, body trim that just decided to leave at freeway speeds, rear window rattled out of place on a cobble road, horrible upholstery, fuel door that doesn't even have hinges and rusted off, 'alloy' wheels that corroded and flaked at 60k, six-speed manual that had ratios chosen by first graders,...I could go on and on.
That 5' bed on Tacomas is a pathetic joke.
Just a poorly-engineered and cheaply made POS.

And the fanboy Koolaid keeps them in business.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that feels Vortex and Leupold are in the ranks of overrated.
Had a 2015 POS whistling door seals at 60mph i always wondered why any company would put TRD (turd) on the side of their vehicle

Just threw out my last Black Diamond headlamp. This one made it maybe two or three years. held together with duct tape for the last year as it kept splitting open and batteries would not secure in place.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
Just threw out my last Black Diamond headlamp. This one made it maybe two or three years. held together with duct tape for the last year as it kept splitting open and batteries would not secure in place.
an upgrade I did this year, Peax Headlamp! I'd trade all of my Blackdiamond headlamps for 1 Peax...definite game changer for me. I love the 3 different settings for the redlight(its a spot, not flood!)

dingle

Lil-Rokslider
an upgrade I did this year, Peax Headlamp! I'd trade all of my Blackdiamond headlamps for 1 Peax...definite game changer for me. I love the 3 different settings for the redlight(its a spot, not flood!)
Man, a switch might be long overdue. Recommended models? I'm a red devotee but sometimes it's nice to have a cold white available.