Outfitters banning bergers?!

dkim

FNG
Haven't read every post. Just saw his thread, but my experience with 7mm 168 VLD-H on one elk and one antelope has been great. I have hunted with an outfitter that had an opposite opinion - recommending Bergers.

OMF

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure since I'm not a bad shot...
That's not what SHE said. (Sorry, couldn't resist 8th grade humor.)

This is an interesting thread; lots of opinions and experiences. When I started hunting mule deer and white tail back...in...the...day with my superstore bought rifle and scope combo, the counter guy gave me 150 gr Remington core-lokts. You know, "the deadliest mushroom in the woods." For me they were both accurate out of that gun and very deadly at ~300 yards or less. I used them until I got into hand loading and was able to try new loads and bullet combos.

Today I tend to use Barnes TSX or TTSX (mostly) and other monos with solid success on deer. That's at 300 yards or less that my belly crawlin dirt eatin self will keep shots too. For elk, I'll use the same or any of the better bonded bullets. I believe shot placement is key, and that's on me.

I have a hunting friend who is an elk and mule deer guide. He's also a very good and successful hunter on his own. In his life before he gave up his day job and started guiding, he was a state rifle champ many times over. He was also generous with shooting advice and helping others become better shots. However, on guided hunts he said that wasn't part of his role. His job was to get the client in the right place for the shot; the shooting was up to the client. And "cleanup" was up to him.

KenLee

WKR
I always love the comment about not recovering an animal but was sure it was a good shot….how do they know for sure?

It’s funny, I moved over to Bergers over a decade ago after having a ttsx Barnes pencil through on more than one occasion. To each their own I guess.
Yes sir the stupidity is real. You don't know til you know. I shot at a decent buck yesterday evening running a big doe. 150 yard snap shot freehand. He got back into the thicket before I could send another round.
From 52 deer seasons experience, I would have bet and gave someone really good odds that it was a miss. This based entirely on the deer's lack of reaction. He just continued on at same pace after the doe.
After dark, I slipped out and retrieved the ole lem hunnert from the truck in case i jumped a wounded deer. Buck was only 30 yards out of sight dead as a hammer.
Folks that swear up a good shot without seeing a dead deer are simply delusional.

KenLee

WKR
The early 1990s 30 cal ballistic tips had very thin jackets. Sometimes they would blow up. Nosler made the jackets a little thicker and now there's a risk that they'll pencil through. Three of us took virtually identical shots at 2600 ft per second impact velocity. Several didn't expand and several deer and a couple hundred yards. In a river swamp that's serious doo doo. We all quit using those. Last one used was 4 years ago.

Then we tried match Kings. Those are pretty predictable. They work just like FMJ. The deer died, but not quick or close by. We quit using those immediately

Then we all tried partitions. We didn't like them because other bullets were more accurate. All but one deer out of 10 ended up less than 10 paces from impact.

Then we all tried game Kings, 150s and 165s. We had near 90% within the 10 paces range. I lost one deer with a straight-on shot because the bullet deflected off the sternum and ribs and went under the shoulder. Didn't enter the body cavity. Pretty much blew the shoulder off but I lost it in the swamp. We're close to 100 deer in right now. We still play with stuff, head shots with 65gr 224 game Kings, 130 grain SST. Between 400 and 500 yd the game King is plenty accurate but it's not match accurate anymore at that range.

The main thing is we don't pick bullets because we like them, because they're pretty, because they're accurate. If they don't put 90% of the deer down in 10 pesos we pick a better bullet. None of us have messed with monos. We feel theyre too velocity sensitive.

The main point is with deer, there's just no reason why they should run off. If tracking is needed frequently, my point is something's a little off. I appreciate your comment very much!
Ballistic tip Noslers penciling through?
On what alternate planet does this happen?