Out of State Hunting in Texas

Gulfgoose

FNG
Any of you rockslider Texans got some axis deer to hunt? I want to do it in offseason next year but 1) im cheap and 2) I’m torn on the high fence thing

I’ll trade for my Michigan whitetail spots!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Axis can be pretty dang spooky critters. They are also very rangey. They'll come through and not be seen again for a while. If I were you I'd have no reservation about hunting one on a bigger HF place, especially if you prefer spot and stalk. They evolved avoiding tigers so they have dang good senses. We got drawn to hunt a well known state park here for one and he pegged us from 50 yards just from the click of my safety. Feeder hunting for one can be easy, especially if you put out a few alfalfa flakes. Also, most of the areas that have abundant axis are either overrun with whitetails or home to some true giants.

I could be wrong, but would think you not going to find an axis in the wild. unless it just got loose.

You are wrong, 80% of them are LF. They span from Lockhart to far west of rock springs. Basically Majority of Central Texas/hill country has Axis or will have them eventually. They breed year round.

Gulfgoose

FNG
That's what happens when you evolved being eaten by tigers! lol

Nilgai are the same way, Indian game is all cracked out!
Exactly. You'd be spooky too. Nilgai have a couple fatal flaws though. Their latreens and liking to flee in a straight line.