OTC Archery Colorado

4rcgoat

WKR
I'm a rookie so I'll tell you my experience so far and maybe it'll help. Last year I threw a dart at a map and went, like svivian said above and I got my ass handed to me. I'm in superb shape. I shoot my butt off. I practiced calling and how/why/when to call for months. I got absolutely WHIPPED in an OTC hunt. Pressure, competition, lack of understanding of how thermals REALLY work as well as how elk move on the landscape, what elevation they're at during a given timeframe...just LOCATING elk did me in.

I still don't have anything close to all the answers. But now I have my feet wet (or damp, maybe). So this season I'm going OTC but I'm paying an outfitter to pack me in. I made friends with a vastly more experienced elk hunter and he's given me some great mentorship. I took last year's trouncing as an experience building time and just rolled on with it.

Out of state hunters are typically not very well thought of on RS because a few have whined about tag prices and access. DO NOT GET DRAGGED. Do your research, learn to love a map app, figure out odds in a unit you feel like you can successfully navigate and hunt in safely where you feel like opportunity is a possibility. That's the BEST case scenario in my opinion. Good luck.
I'm a resident of Wyoming......still get my ass kicked every year!

LFC911

WKR
Save your money and your retirement and buy beef...LOL

JMO but my advise after 5-6 years of hiking/chasing elk, stay away from OTC. I would take a 0-1 PP second choice tag over OTC, as it is just a little bit better than OTC. Apply/build points in every state you can afford. Eventually you'll should be able to draw a decent tag in those states and go on a quality hunt. Cheers

dtrkyman

WKR
Boy how times have changed. Lot's of info on a google search to get you started. I would imagine the pressure is getting a bit crazy.

However my last OTC hunt there I found elk close to some major trail heads and camps, they just happened to be in a basin that required either a really long loop to access or a steep nasty climb over some scree for the last 1/4 mile of a short steep 1.25 mile trek.

Research some units on CO. website and just go!

EVD

FNG
Another good one would be High Pressure Elk hunting by Mike Lapinski. I remember thinking that was great back in the day, might ought to reread it. But I wonder just how pressured the elk were 30 years ago?
I love Lapinski's videos and re-watch them every season. Such enthusiasm and passion and some good advice that still works today.

def90

WKR
As others have said throw a dart and pick a spot. Watch some of the online e-scouting videos.

Keep in mind, Colorado elk hunting has been blown up. OTC is unlimited licenses, CPW will sell as many tags as people want to buy so expect a zoo where ever you go. There are people that seem to get it done on a regular basis and others that will go for 8 years before even seeing an elk. I’ve been archery OTC elk hunting for 5 years and have yet to get in to a position to even draw my bow. It can be frustrating to think you have pegged the human calls vs elk calls only to once again find yourself getting sucked in to yet another hunter. Despite the issues with public land OTC hunting in Colorado I’m stubborn and will be out there again this coming year.

bentarrow

FNG
Don't matter which otc u choose. There will b lots of competition. Look for out of the way spots where others walk by. With all the changes comin from surrounding states it's goin to get a lot more crowded. Good luck. Emjoy the hunt and get ready.

TheHammer

WKR
As others have said throw a dart and pick a spot. Watch some of the online e-scouting videos.

Keep in mind, Colorado elk hunting has been blown up. OTC is unlimited licenses, CPW will sell as many tags as people want to buy so expect a zoo where ever you go. There are people that seem to get it done on a regular basis and others that will go for 8 years before even seeing an elk. I’ve been archery OTC elk hunting for 5 years and have yet to get in to a position to even draw my bow. It can be frustrating to think you have pegged the human calls vs elk calls only to once again find yourself getting sucked in to yet another hunter. Despite the issues with public land OTC hunting in Colorado I’m stubborn and will be out there again this coming year.
Keep after it! Make changes and keep pushing, it’ll happen. My first year I passed up 3 legal bulls in new country. Due to having had rifle success and having a warped mind from my whitetail resume. I’ve drawn 7xs and never have been able to get an arrow off. Always something ridiculous happens, the elk stops behind the one bush/tree, wind swirls or they didn’t like how I tried to stop them and bolt. Seldomly do I call, as I’ve watched multiple times calling push herds the direct opposite direction, but I also hunt open to ml season, thinking calling might be more effective post ml. Although where I was this year there was no one else in there the several days we were.

I'm trying to start planning a otc archery hunt for next season I have never been to Colorado. And looking at all the different units is alittle overwhelming. Can someone give me a general direction to a couple units to start looking into. We are coming from Alabama and because of time restrictions we have pretty much decided the northern part of the states and units won't he doable this time. Ant help will be greatly appreciated
Elk are where you find them E-scout, utilize sites like go hunt, and ultimately put boots on the ground and expect it to be the hardest hunt you've ever done.

Lpm_60X

FNG
Go with having more than just one plan. Pick multiple units and points of interest, even if they’re units right next to eachother, and trust me you will be disappointed just get ready for that, it’s just reality out there. You wouldn’t believe with whatever plan you go with out there, how many other people made the same exact plan you did, whether that be places to camp, points of interest for elk, ridges, faces. It’s interesting to talk to people when you run into them, thinking well damn I’m way back here and someone had the same idea. It happens, way more than you could imagine.

I agree with what others have said, E-Scout and show up with a general strategy and run with it. Also, keep in mind the terrain is often very different in real life than on OnX. I did a ton of E-Scouting before my first elk hunt last fall and when we finally got boots on the ground I realized 70% of my picked glassing spots were no good. Also, just because the map shows a creek or a watering hole that has no actual bearing on water being there when you are.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
The Elk are all gone in Colorado. They moved to Wyoming when the Woke asshats of Colorado decided to reintroduce wolves in Colorado. Nothing to see here. move along.

jgilber5

Lil-Rokslider
Pm me if you'd like. Last year was my first time out. I'm not going to tell you where but I'd love to help with some of the how.

I'm a rookie so I'll tell you my experience so far and maybe it'll help. Last year I threw a dart at a map and went, like svivian said above and I got my ass handed to me. I'm in superb shape. I shoot my butt off. I practiced calling and how/why/when to call for months. I got absolutely WHIPPED in an OTC hunt. Pressure, competition, lack of understanding of how thermals REALLY work as well as how elk move on the landscape, what elevation they're at during a given timeframe...just LOCATING elk did me in.

I still don't have anything close to all the answers. But now I have my feet wet (or damp, maybe). So this season I'm going OTC but I'm paying an outfitter to pack me in. I made friends with a vastly more experienced elk hunter and he's given me some great mentorship. I took last year's trouncing as an experience building time and just rolled on with it.

Out of state hunters are typically not very well thought of on RS because a few have whined about tag prices and access. DO NOT GET DRAGGED. Do your research, learn to love a map app, figure out odds in a unit you feel like you can successfully navigate and hunt in safely where you feel like opportunity is a possibility. That's the BEST case scenario in my opinion. Good luck.
Went on our first Colorado DIY OTC elk hunt in 2022. Absolutely got our butts kicked. Never seen an Elk but we had a blast. Colorado supposedly has the most Elk.....can't prove it by us. Do be prepared to deal with altitude sickness if a low lander. Only way to figured it out is to go. E-scouting is nice but the whole perception changes when you hit the ground. Embrace/Enjoy!

cohunter1996

Lil-Rokslider
Just don't get frustrated & keep after it. Might take you days before you even see an elk.. then things might change in a matter of minutes!

Went on my first OTC hunt last year, saw a bunch of different bulls..