OTC Archery Colorado

I'm trying to start planning a otc archery hunt for next season I have never been to Colorado. And looking at all the different units is alittle overwhelming. Can someone give me a general direction to a couple units to start looking into. We are coming from Alabama and because of time restrictions we have pretty much decided the northern part of the states and units won't he doable this time. Ant help will be greatly appreciated

trailblazer75

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a rookie so I'll tell you my experience so far and maybe it'll help. Last year I threw a dart at a map and went, like svivian said above and I got my ass handed to me. I'm in superb shape. I shoot my butt off. I practiced calling and how/why/when to call for months. I got absolutely WHIPPED in an OTC hunt. Pressure, competition, lack of understanding of how thermals REALLY work as well as how elk move on the landscape, what elevation they're at during a given timeframe...just LOCATING elk did me in.

I still don't have anything close to all the answers. But now I have my feet wet (or damp, maybe). So this season I'm going OTC but I'm paying an outfitter to pack me in. I made friends with a vastly more experienced elk hunter and he's given me some great mentorship. I took last year's trouncing as an experience building time and just rolled on with it.

Out of state hunters are typically not very well thought of on RS because a few have whined about tag prices and access. DO NOT GET DRAGGED. Do your research, learn to love a map app, figure out odds in a unit you feel like you can successfully navigate and hunt in safely where you feel like opportunity is a possibility. That's the BEST case scenario in my opinion. Good luck.

svivian

WKR
I'm a rookie so I'll tell you my experience so far and maybe it'll help. Last year I threw a dart at a map and went, like svivian said above and I got my ass handed to me. I'm in superb shape. I shoot my butt off. I practiced calling and how/why/when to call for months. I got absolutely WHIPPED in an OTC hunt. Pressure, competition, lack of understanding of how thermals REALLY work as well as how elk move on the landscape, what elevation they're at during a given timeframe...just LOCATING elk did me in.

I still don't have anything close to all the answers. But now I have my feet wet (or damp, maybe). So this season I'm going OTC but I'm paying an outfitter to pack me in. I made friends with a vastly more experienced elk hunter and he's given me some great mentorship. I took last year's trouncing as an experience building time and just rolled on with it.

Out of state hunters are typically not very well thought of on RS because a few have whined about tag prices and access. DO NOT GET DRAGGED. Do your research, learn to love a map app, figure out odds in a unit you feel like you can successfully navigate and hunt in safely where you feel like opportunity is a possibility. That's the BEST case scenario in my opinion. Good luck.
This is a perfect response. Someone telling you where to go will never change the factors mentioned above. Any unit can kick your ass and the best way to learn is to go for it. There is no easy button.

trailblazer75

Lil-Rokslider
This is a perfect response. Someone telling you where to go will never change the factors mentioned above. Any unit can kick your ass and the best way to learn is to go for it. There is no easy button.
I was lucky, cause I thought better than to ask. I just kinda winged it and I'm glad I did. No amount of talk on a forum will ever prepare anyone to look up from the foot of the mountain and go "now what?"

hiker270

WKR
Very few if any hunters will give up the location of their hunting spots. Best thing I can tell you is do your research on the Colorado hunting website on the OTC archery units. I have been successful in Colorado on do it yourself pack in archery hunts in several parts of the state. (Gunnison, Eagle, Meeker and Steamboat Springs). Before attempting this I hunted with 3 different guides and learned the in's and out's of elk hunting. There are a lot of mountains and elk are not on all of them. But there are hunters or hikers on all of them. I tell everyone I take with me to enjoy the experience because killing an elk is a real bonus. A lot of times just seeing an elk is a bonus. Good luck and if you are fortunate enough to kill one then the real work begins!

No one is going to tell you where to go. There is plenty of information available if you look. People will help with some ideas on planning, equipment and the like. There is plenty of hunting in Colorado and you can learn like many of us did. We went out and learned by experience. Good luck and hope you smack a toad.

TheHammer

WKR
Tons of threads on here with this topic. Lots of valuable information shared in those threads. Plus the few great posts already in here. Most guys look at the data to analyze a spot. Hunt score I’ve found to be an accurate resource. Hopefully you can figure something out and enjoy the last season of otc!

Coming from that direction, units 103, or 132 would be a good choice depending on what you want out of your hunt. Neither are very high in terms of elevation, and not much deadfall due to beetle kill which is nice.

You can also draw a 0 point hunt.

I would look into all the hunts you can draw with 0 points and the otc units. Then I would figure out which units have the type of terrain I wanted to hunt and make sure there is plenty of that on public. If it’s otc sweet. If it’s a draw sweet.

cnelk

WKR
I’ve given one of my good otc spots to a guy - told him right where to go.

He never saw an elk.

I went in there the next day and killed one.

All I can say is ‘you don’t know what you don’t know’

Best of luck tho. Embrace the Suck

I'm trying to start planning a otc archery hunt for next season I have never been to Colorado. And looking at all the different units is alittle overwhelming. Can someone give me a general direction to a couple units to start looking into. We are coming from Alabama and because of time restrictions we have pretty much decided the northern part of the states and units won't he doable this time. Ant help will be greatly appreciated
general direction is keep going north and or west. It’s only another 5-6 hours.

UncleBone

WKR
Ive seen some deer in 103, but they werent quite big enough to mistake for an elk.

11boo

WKR
Your attitude is already tripping you up. Pick a spot, bring your best truck camp setup. Get here a couple days early and have a blast.

68, 79, 82, and 86 are some of the closest units and have elk. Stop there and kill an elk.

Steven.Elmore

Lil-Rokslider