Oryx -- long term (?) strategy

WaWox

FNG
Hi all!
Oryx is one of the animals that I'd love to hunt -- eventually. Not in a mad rush as I am very much still starting out, learning to figure out my local blackmail, hoping to learn how to hunt elk in the west in general, and just become a better hunter all around. But oryx are definitely on my "bucket list"

So my question is: with that in mind what's the best plan? Apply for the WSMR tags in NM every year and hoping I beat the 1% odds some year in the next 20-40 years? Apply for a higher draw odd but less "good" tag and save up to have an Outfitter to improve odds? Skip all that and just save up for a Texas hunt on a ranch? Anything I am missing? Other states?

For the latter, my question is mostly whether there are any that are sufficiently truly free range in truly big country that it feels like a hunt, not a shoot.

PS, hoping this is the right forums, apologies if not! Looks like we don't have an exotics forum and while pronghorn aren't Antelopes actually at least Oryx are :D

j_volt

WKR
Apply in the draw for on range hunts. If you want a small boost, apply for broken horn.

In the interim, start putting $25 per biweekly paycheck and invest it into the S&P500. In 10 years, you’ll have $10k or so. Maybe you drew an on range hunt along the way. If so, you have $10k to spend on something cool. If you didn’t draw on range, you can decide if you want to dish out some coin on an outfitter. The off range hunts can be legit struggle fests.

If you drew a WSMR hunt, no guide/outfitter would be needed.

If you drew an offrange, a guide/outfitter would be a benefit.

The alternative is to contact an outfitter that specializes in oryx hunts and they would likely be able to put you on some private ground.

The Armendaris Ranch is the 4th alternate.

All oryx hunts in NM are free range. Fences are 3 or 4 strand barbed wire that oryx freely travel under. Even WSMR is surrounded by only a strand wire fence.

Your best "odds" for WSMR is a brokehorn hunt and for offrange are the warmer months early in the season.

406life

Lil-Rokslider
I have drawn and hunted WSMR oryx. I also did a podcast with Gilbert, bio for the range covering all things oryx. I will say there is a list as well for WSMR oryx roadkill.

Last week I hunted oryx in Namibia, the state animal there. Trophy tee was $600. The $1600 for the NR oryx tag would cover half a trip there and you could add on more easily.

Both experiences are similar, but also different enough to warrant their own pursuits. One will prepare you for the other.

I have drawn and hunted WSMR oryx. I also did a podcast with Gilbert, bio for the range covering all things oryx. I will say there is a list as well for WSMR oryx roadkill.

Last week I hunted oryx in Namibia, the state animal there. Trophy tee was $600. The $1600 for the NR oryx tag would cover half a trip there and you could add on more easily.

Both experiences are similar, but also different enough to warrant their own pursuits. One will prepare you for the other.
What do you expect it’ll cost to get it stateside?

WoodBow

WKR
I think they are about $7k in texas when I checked several years ago.

I encourage you to apply for the nm off range hunts if you are willing and able to hunt. I have a friend who is a local and we had zero problem killing one when I drew. I actually chased them with the bow for the first 2 days.

The odds really went to crap of drawing after rinella drew it in 2020. I drew the same year. I think I had a 30% chance of drawing it. Now my odds are single digit every year.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Can't bring any meat home though can you? Depending on what the person wants out of their hunt that could be a major turnoff.

OP
W

WaWox

FNG
That's pretty incredible! OK yeah maybe I need to start thinking that way medium term... one thing that bugs me about out of country hunts though is not being able to take the meat back home. I get it -- it's already kinda silly to say you hunt for the meat on a $700-1500 NR elk tag -- but still rubs me the wrong way.

WCB

WKR
Apply in NM how ever you can...otherwise go to Africa. Texas hunts are like $9K+. F that noise. Go to a safari club diner. By a hunt for $1000-$1500 at auction that is all inclusive with 2-3 animals. Add a Gemsbok for $600-$800. Then come home enjoy the memories and trophies and buy a good whole beef and eat till your heart is content.

Apply in NM how ever you can...otherwise go to Africa. Texas hunts are like $9K+. F that noise. Go to a safari club diner. By a hunt for $1000-$1500 at auction that is all inclusive with 2-3 animals. Add a Gemsbok for $600-$800. Then come home enjoy the memories and trophies and buy a good whole beef and eat till your heart is content.

That’s why I’m going to Africa to kill a Gemsbok. For just a little more than a single animal will cost me in Texas, I can go shoot 5-7 animals and be treated like royalty when there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
W

WaWox

FNG
Yeah Texas doesn't really seem like a good option for much. I am guessing most Texas exotics hunts are also less "real" than African safari hunts. I have heard some of the aoudad hunts can be pretty legitimately free range, but the expensive plains animals are too fancy to be left to roam truly freely ...

406life

Lil-Rokslider
That's pretty incredible! OK yeah maybe I need to start thinking that way medium term... one thing that bugs me about out of country hunts though is not being able to take the meat back home. I get it -- it's already kinda silly to say you hunt for the meat on a $700-1500 NR elk tag -- but still rubs me the wrong way.
Blame USDA and FWS. It won't ever change. But while you're here/there you can sample your game.

Yeah Texas doesn't really seem like a good option for much. I am guessing most Texas exotics hunts are also less "real" than African safari hunts. I have heard some of the aoudad hunts can be pretty legitimately free range, but the expensive plains animals are too fancy to be left to roam truly freely ...

It depends on what you are looking for from a hunt.

There are some huge properties in Texas, they can be just as “real” as anywhere else. The largest ranch I have hunted was 122k acres.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Put in for the draw hunts in NM. You could draw it on the first try, you never know. An Armendaris tag is probably cheaper than TX. NM has the Stallion range, Rhodes Canyon, and the McGregor. Off range is probably easier to draw during the hotter months but you need to watch out for rattlesnakes. You also have the option for the depredation list but you better be ready to go in just a few days notice.

Sevens

WKR
If you’re after the experience of gemsbok in NM, then that’s what you should focus on. If you’re just after a gemsbok head for the wall, go to Namibia.