Oregon/Washington coast fishing late summer/early fall

JMundy84

Lil-Rokslider
Little off topic but my wife mentioned she'd be ok with doing some fishing off the coast of Washington or Oregon. Her birthday is in late August and I was thinking about taking her on a trip next year for her 40th. Does anyone know what is good/in season that time of year? I'd also take recommendations on a good charter service.

Tmac

WKR
August is the Salmon Buoy-10 season on the Columbia. It should be very good by mid-August and usually closes the first week of Sept or before. I’d avoid charters and find a good guide that takes a max of 6 in their boat. If the estuary is slow, some will take you out in the Ocean, but it’s usually not necessary. If you want I can refer you to some good guides. Most are $250 - 275 a seat for a day trip.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
What are you looking to fish for? That time of year would be mostly salmon or rockfish, maybe early tuna way offshore. WA this is. Should be some decent salmon fishing. Look into a boat named the Hula Girl out of Westport.

OP
JMundy84

JMundy84

Lil-Rokslider
What are you looking to fish for? That time of year would be mostly salmon or rockfish, maybe early tuna way offshore. WA this is. Should be some decent salmon fishing. Look into a boat named the Hula Girl out of Westport.
Not really picky on what kind of fish I was expecting rock fish or something similar but if that's prime salmon season that would be good we could stay over there for a few days go twice and take a trip for each

3Esski

Lil-Rokslider
Buoy-10 is the big draw that time of year at the mouth of the Columbia river. Drake Radditz guide service is local out of the Hammond area and does a great job. Not sure if he does 2 person groups but he has a website, if not there are a lot of options for that fishery.

hiway_99

FNG
You have a lot of options. If next year is anything like this season. In mid August you will have halibut opening up 7 days a week on the north coast. You have salmon, albacore and rock fish out of westport. And like previously mentioned salmon at bouy 10 and albacore tuna.
I would figure out what you want to fish for first. Then we can help you find a charter or guide to get you both out on the water.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
JMundy84

JMundy84

Lil-Rokslider
You have a lot of options. If next year is anything like this season. In mid August you will have halibut opening up 7 days a week on the north coast. You have salmon, albacore and rock fish out of westport. And like previously mentioned salmon at bouy 10 and albacore tuna.
I would figure out what you want to fish for first. Then we can help you find a charter or guide to get you both out on the water.

Halibut would be awesome Im sure we could do a trip on the north coast and then head south and do another were over in Idaho so a long loop road trip wouldn't be a bad thing

DRUSS

WKR
Either type of trip, I would be looking into soon as most good guides book quickly. Tuna boats are booked early also, but change a lot due to water conditions.

OP
JMundy84

JMundy84

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know about taking a tuna trip aren't most of them overnight trips? I don't think I could get her to sleep on a boat.

slvrslngr

WKR
Albacore up here are generally long day trips. For something a little different, look into a dory trip off the beach in Pacific City.

JRay

Lil-Rokslider
Mike Barksdale Fishonextreme.com He fishes for pretty much everything the weather will allow for. Based out of Hammond Oregon. We fished with him for sturgeon in May. Had a blast.

Michael with Reel Deal Fishing Adventures is another great option if you decide to try out the salmon fishing at the mouth of the Columbia (buoy 10). Feel free to shoot me a pm and I can get you his contact info.

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
Buoy 10 is really cool to fish. I believe Kelly Short Outdoors had a couple of seats still left but its really tough to find an opening because they are booked more than a year in advance.

Attachments

• fishing.jpg
    fishing.jpg
    415 KB · Views: 23

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
Other than Buoy 10, there is always a fishing charters available. Ling Cod, Sea Bass, etc. Who you call will depend on if you hit Washington or Oregon.

hiway_99

FNG
I don't know about taking a tuna trip aren't most of them overnight trips? I don't think I could get her to sleep on a boat.
Most of us charters now run fast enough boats to fish albacore tuna as day trips. I leave around 5 in the morning. We return either when the boats plugged or around 5 in the evening.

Buoy-10 is the big draw that time of year at the mouth of the Columbia river. Drake Radditz guide service is local out of the Hammond area and does a great job. Not sure if he does 2 person groups but he has a website, if not there are a lot of options for that fishery.

I'd also suggest hitting up B10! For someone who's never experienced that fishery before it's quite an adventure. The craziness, excitement, and potential for many hookups can make for pretty special day.

I haven't fished with Drake at B10 but used him for winter steelhead fishing. He's a great guy and very down to earth. You won't go wrong booking with him.

Sanchez

Lil-Rokslider
The Oregon Coast will have an ocean September wild coho fishery that can be very good.

geterdone

FNG
Albacore up here are generally long day trips. For something a little different, look into a dory trip off the beach in Pacific City.
This would be my recommendation. Josh Putnam is a great dory guide. You can catch your salmon limit and rockfish a lot of times in PC.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
Albacore. It’s the best eating fish and more fun than salmon, halibut or rockfish to catch.

OP
JMundy84

JMundy84

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the info guys I think I'm gonna call about b10 and salmon trips