Oregon Spring Bear 2023

IAMRAJ

Lil-Rokslider
I've been checking My ODFW every morning and today the results are finally in. Success for 722A! I think it's practically guaranteed but still felt like a win. Anyone else hunting SW Oregon this spring?
I pulled the SW unit tag as well. Tryin to get some info on Umpqua NF..never hunted for bear there.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I've been checking My ODFW every morning and today the results are finally in. Success for 722A! I think it's practically guaranteed but still felt like a win. Anyone else hunting SW Oregon this spring?
I didn’t draw sw, which surprised me. My wife did, so if one of us was going to draw, I’m very happy it was her and not me, I still get to go on all the hunts, pack her rifle, pack her bear, pack everything, haha… so at least I get everything I like about bear hunting, and we can be patient and find a good one.

I was going to let my daughter hunt my tag, but she’ll get the same opportunity next year

BryanL

Lil-Rokslider
I drew Alsea/Stott Mountain. This will be my first spring bear tag and first targeted bear hunt ever. I think I have a solid academic concept of what to look for with the green, south facing slopes, mainly in the afternoons and evening, mainly during last few weeks of May, ideally with water at the base of the cut with 3-5 year old growth and heavy timber nearby. I know to watch the wind closely and avoid roads that are drivable. I’m going to target the private timber lands that are walk in. Not sure if I’m missing anything really in this regard but I need to figure out how to apply the book knowledge to the field and find a little luck. Bringing my 5 year old when I can too. If you have any additional tips, please share! Good luck to all!

PLhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I drew Alsea/Stott Mountain. This will be my first spring bear tag and first targeted bear hunt ever. I think I have a solid academic concept of what to look for with the green, south facing slopes, mainly in the afternoons and evening, mainly during last few weeks of May, ideally with water at the base of the cut with 3-5 year old growth and heavy timber nearby. I know to watch the wind closely and avoid roads that are drivable. I’m going to target the private timber lands that are walk in. Not sure if I’m missing anything really in this regard but I need to figure out how to apply the book knowledge to the field and find a little luck. Bringing my 5 year old when I can too. If you have any additional tips, please share! Good luck to all!
I drew Alsea/Stott Mountain as well. This will be my first spring bear tag and first spring bear hunt ever in more than a decade. My dad is joining me as well and this will be his first bear hunt ever.

We have nearly exactly the same plan except I will be bringing in my 4 year old a long when possible. I live in Central Oregon. Good luck!

I wouldn’t necessarily wait until late season if we have decent weather, I prefer hunting them early. If you find a spot that a nice bear is working, they are easier to pattern and kill than the last couple weeks when they start thinking about sows and covering country… I look at spring bear like rifle blacktail, the end of the season you have a better chance of lucking into a good one, but prior to that, you can pattern them and wait for one to slip up.

Regardless, make darn sure you have a lion tag, glassing spring bear is a good time to stumble on a lion. Just a fun time to be in the woods, pretty time of year and it seems like everything is out and about

DaleW

WKR
I hunted the SW tag several years in a row when I lived in Eugene but this year i have the Alsea/Stott tag because I live further north.

From what I've seen, the closer to the coast you are the higher the density of bears. I've found most of my success on walk-in timberland near Florence and Reedsport.

I hunted the SW tag several years in a row when I lived in Eugene but this year i have the Alsea/Stott tag because I live further north.

From what I've seen, the closer to the coast you are the higher the density of bears. I've found most of my success on walk-in timberland near Florence and Reedsport.
If I had a choice, I would hunt stott/alsea rather than sw. It’s just become hard to draw. Since I didn’t draw sw this year I may just put in for stott/alsea next year. We have a house north of Lincoln city, but our permanent residence is in Brookings now… I grew up in Depoe bay/Lincoln city area, and still hunt the central coast a lot, and though the bear density is lower on the central coast, the ratio of big boars is higher in my experience.

This past year was my first year hunting the south coast for spring bear and didn’t get to hunt a lot and we still saw a lot of bears, I think we averaged around 3 bears per day we hunted, with a couple decent boars, but no monsters.

I saw 2 really big boats one day archery season hunting the alsea, but had killed a bear the first week of archery season. Probably saw 10 bear one week during archery season and 4 were studs.

More cats on the central coast too, and I like hunting spring bear where I see a lot of lion sign… ups the odds of killing something any given hunt.

I could get the stott/alsea next year and get my wife a sw tag… or tough it out a few years, let my wife kill all the bears and hold out for weneha or hell’s canyon

ORhunter74

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you have the theory down for sure. Like Rosie said, get out as much as you can. The private timber lands are great places if you can get away from competition. I killed a nice boar on a private timber clear cut last Memorial Day in the Alsea unit.

Bears are the easiest animals to find sign and pattern in my opinion. Look for trails with trees with bark stripped off. The areas I hunt, they love tearing up the trees and you can walk a trail and pretty much follow the torn up trees. Last spring’s bear ended up popping out into the clear cut I was glassing about 20 yards to my left. I could hear him eating the grass before I could see him. I had followed a trail of trees up the hill to the cut and he showed up less than an hour after I sat down to glass.

I drew Alsea again this year with no points (lucky) and will be taking my daughter out for her first mentored bear hunts. Super excited. Good luck to you and everyone else!!

DaleW

WKR
If I had a choice, I would hunt stott/alsea rather than sw. It’s just become hard to draw. Since I didn’t draw sw this year I may just put in for stott/alsea next year. We have a house north of Lincoln city, but our permanent residence is in Brookings now… I grew up in Depoe bay/Lincoln city area, and still hunt the central coast a lot, and though the bear density is lower on the central coast, the ratio of big boars is higher in my experience.

This past year was my first year hunting the south coast for spring bear and didn’t get to hunt a lot and we still saw a lot of bears, I think we averaged around 3 bears per day we hunted, with a couple decent boars, but no monsters.

I saw 2 really big boats one day archery season hunting the alsea, but had killed a bear the first week of archery season. Probably saw 10 bear one week during archery season and 4 were studs.

More cats on the central coast too, and I like hunting spring bear where I see a lot of lion sign… ups the odds of killing something any given hunt.

I could get the stott/alsea next year and get my wife a sw tag… or tough it out a few years, let my wife kill all the bears and hold out for weneha or hell’s canyon.
I'll make sure I have my cougar tag then. The TMA should offer a lot of access. I've been looking at the map and it looks like there's plenty of roads closed to vehicles. The mountain bike will come in handy for sure.

It's a shame it takes almost 2 points to draw. After this year I'll probably be back to 1st choicing the SW tag and just make the drive down.

EZduzIT

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone had much experience hunting in the Rogue Siskiyou for bear as opposed to some of the clear cuts on timberlands? Debating if I want to stay with family in Grants Pass or head for the coast.

Pdzoller

WKR
Got SW. Really looking forward to it. Going to try some solo backpacking with a new tent and my new pup. Training him as a scouting/hunting companion and for some light draft work.

Yes I know the law and no he isn’t being used to hunt.

Good luck everyone!

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
Pdzoller I'd like to see what your pups "draftwork" entails. My bigger dog has always carried his and his siters kibble, emergency boot and first aid kit.

Pdzoller

WKR
Pdzoller I'd like to see what your pups "draftwork" entails. My bigger dog has always carried his and his siters kibble, emergency boot and first aid kit.
Pretty much the same supplies you listed. I am going to be doing cart training as well.

Even if he only takes five pounds off my back, I’d be happy.

I pulled NW and will be mostly hunting Units 10+12. I have a few locations where I’ve spotted bears over the years but any and all advice on tactics would be greatly appreciated. First spring bear hunt so I’m just reading articles and watching YT videos.

I drew the snake river tag, wife and i have the first 2 weeks of may blocked off to hunt it. Good luck on the wet side guys!

Got nada, as expected given my point situation. Good luck everyone!

I’d love to hear some reports from Stott Mountain unit, where I grew up. Plenty of bears there!