Optics package for hunting as a two man team

jlmoeller

FNG
I am looking for some advice. All my hunting plans involving hunting as a two man team. Future hunt plans include Wyoming antelope, Wyoming Region G mule deer, and Arizona Coues. Currently I have vortex viper 10x42 binos and 15x56 kaibab binos. My hunting partner has vortex diamondback 10x50 binos and plans on buying a vortex 65mm razor spotting scope.

Is this optic system flexible enough for all the planned hunts? Obviously replacing everything with swaro would be better but that is not realistic for us. What is your idea optics set up for hunting as a pair?

Thanks,
Jason Moeller

elkguide

WKR
Whatever you are comfortable looking through that allows you to see your intended target.
I saved for years to get into Swarovski and I haven't regretted it for a minute. Started with lesser optics and as I could afford it, upgraded. I think that as long as you can spot what you are hunting and then determine if it is what you are looking for and you can tell if you want to go after it, then you are golden. Every hunt is a new adventure and we laugh at some of the things we did and what we got away with years ago but we had a good time. Make that your first goal.

Trial153

WKR
Really I think you covered all the bases between the two of you. I am assuming your running the binos off pods ....so your good to go.

OP
J

jlmoeller

FNG
Yes, the binos are used off a tripod. Upgrading from a cheap camera tripod to a better one is in the future plans.

OP
J

jlmoeller

FNG
I would like to revive this thread. Do you and your hunting partner or partners coordinate on what to carry for optics? Or does everyone just bring whatever they need? I am curious as to what optic packages hunting teams are carrying.

Thank you,
Jason Moeller

jeffpg

WKR
My hunting partner carries his standard 10x bino and packs a large spotting scope.

I carry my compact 8x bino and pack my big 20x bino.

We both pack the exact same tripod, head and adapter set up and I also have the adapter installed on the G7 BR2 rangefinder I carry when rifle hunting.

This works well for all of our western big game hunting.

I hunt mostly with my brother. I carry viper 10x42 and meopta hd 15x56. he carries viper hd 10x42 and Swaro ATS 65 scope. We will both upgrade 10s soon but I think in general this covers just about anything we'll encounter hunting Az, Wy, Co, Ut etc.

I think it's good to coordinate because you don't want to be packing 15 lbs of optics each, but each piece has it's application. Ideally I think one guy with 10's and 15s and the other guy with 10s/12s and a spotter, each having his own tripod setup. That would cover you for about everything out west.

my partner and I have a similar setup. I run the 15x swaro's and he has the 10 swaro's and the stx 95. both have the same tripod. there are times when I wish I had some 10's and not the 15s. our system works pretty dam good for us. and how we go about glassing just depends on how far were looking. some days he picks up a few more deer than I, other days I glass them up.j

I think your setup is fairly good. just pack 1 spotter, 1 pair of 10s and 1 pair of 15s