Opinions on First Lite gear for archery Elk season

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Much of FL clothing last about one season maybe two depending on how hard and often you hunt. Kuiu and Sitka is far more durable in my experience.

nobody

WKR
I already commented, but wanna add one thing. You'll find that most guys will find pieces from each company they like and then run those specific pieces. There are some guys who are brand loyal, but lots of us buy pants from one company, socks from another, base layers from another, rain gear from another, etc. This is typically the best bet to getting the best pieces, and not just the best pieces from one brand.

As a general rule, it's typically believed that First Lite has some of the best Merino on the market
Kuiu and King's have some of the best pants
Sitka and Kuiu have the best rain gear
Sitka has some of the best "layers," and so on. This is all anecdotal of course, but it's just something I've personally observed as I've been part of this forum and in my time around lots of different hunters and outdoorsmen.

I'm sure the peanut gallery will come along saying "bUt SiTkA b-CuZ iT bEsT." But in all reality, all of these companies make pretty decent stuff, and you can put together a really phenomenal kit if you're willing to mix and match brands and pieces. I run lots of King's and Killik stuff because I got a pretty steep discount on it when I worked at Sportsman's Warehouse, but at full retail price I think Killik's value is pretty low. So I'll be replacing lots of stuff with King's as the Killik and my aforementioned First Lite wears out, and that's mainly because King's stuff seems to fit my build really well (5'11, 190 LBS, broad shoulders and 32 inch waist, so lots of stuff fits me funny). But I've also had a couple of Sitka pieces, and I even own Kuiu. I buy what fits and what has the specs I'm looking for, brand name be d****d.

The real key is to buy the best product, not the brand. Who cares whose name is on it? If it works, it works.

But hey, I'm just some random guy on the internet...

Like was said above, I think FL is like every other clothing manufacturer. They make some really nice pieces and they make some for which there are better options out there. Like many others have said, the Obsidian merino pants are easily shredded. I ripped mine apart quickly. Haven’t tried the Obsidian Foundry or any of their synthetic pants. They sound much better though. I have an Uncompahgre puffy. It’s ok at everything but, not great at anything. What I mean is I find it warm but not super warm. And it’s light but not ultralight. My favorite FL piece that I have is a pair of rain pants, but I can’t remember which model they are. I absolutely love them. They have about the perfect mix of tough yet light for what I do.

Samson7x

WKR
I love their wick hoody, but wear kuiu kutana pants.

As previously mentioned, mix and matching different brands works for me. I have pieces from FL, kuiu, and sitka.

I’m a fanboy namely because the military discount is better than anyone else and it’s quality gear.

The other big name companies probably have some superior items, but it’s not worth the additional cost to me.

That said their corrugate foundry pants are absolutely badass and the best pair of pants I’ve ever worn in the field.

Bachto

WKR
Corrugated FOUNDRY Pant are durable? I just want a pant that will hold up in archery season in Eastern Oregon and 2nd season on the western side
A lot of their stuff will hold up well for eastern oregon. I don't hunt thick areas like western oregon where you can get into blackberries and such. So this I can't speak on but you might want to get a more durable pant if this is where you primarily hunt.

I haven't had any issues with durability

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
Love them. I have the corrugated and obsidian pants. I use black ovis merino layers. I do have two SS wick for hiking in and a first skin piece. I have a sawtooth vest and UNC 1.0. jacket for colder mornings. I honestly liked the camo and loved the solitude set is why I went to there other gear for out west.

Whitetail woods I wear solitude Bibbs and jacket when temps get 50 or below in KS. I've been adding pieces every year.

KHNC

WKR
First Lite was my "gateway drug" into technical hunting gear/clothing back in 2018. Prior to that it was "walmart special" stuff. I've still got a few pieces, and I really like their Merino stuff. Here's my analysis:

1. Their pants are a bit too "gangster" for my taste. The crotch hangs super low, not very easy to scramble around the hills and hike. It hangs low enough to inhibit movement without remembering to hike them up before crossing a log or something. They also aren't super rugged, IMO. I've got the Obsidian pants, and they're paper thin on the butt. They run and pill super easy, any time you get snagged on stuff.
2. Their camo patterns aren't very color fast. I'm a big sweater, and anything I wore underneath a backpack had lost all it's color within a season from sweat. I've got a wick hoodie at home that still looks very much new from the front, but it's almost completely white on the back.
3. Their Sawtooth jacket just fits funny. I'm unquestionably and consistently a size large. Their large Sawtooth it extremely tight across my shoulders and has very minimal stretch, and the sleeves and torso are way too long. The insulation in this jacket is also only in the chest and torso, and there's an obvious line where the insulation ends at your shoulders that feels really obnoxious underneath my bino harness and backpack.

When I got into their stuff in 2018, they were priced cheaper than anybody else on the market so I put up with these issues because their prices were good, and lots of guys really liked their stuff so I gave it a good fair shake for a couple of seasons. But now a guy can buy Kuiu for less money, and I've realized I can't stand the things I've mentioned above, so First Lite has lost it's luster to me.

My personal go to is King's Camo new XKG line. Their Ridge pants are probably the best value for hunting pants, I've got one pair that will be used this year for the third year in a row. Their XK7 pattern they came out with last year is really neat looking and seems versatile, though I've got very few pieces in it. As I wear my other stuff out, I'm slowly replacing it with King's stuff. They seem to be the best value in clothing as of today. That may change with time, but that's my analysis.

FL gear was also my first step into quality clothing. I found the fit the same. One additional thing is everything seemed a size larger than the description. Nothing i purchased fit correctly. This was in 2013 though. I still have it all as i spent 1300.00 on all of it. I think its made well, but just doesnt fit well.

Currently, I wear Browning Hells Canyon Speed clothing and Pnuma Gear for elk hunting. I am starting to like the Pnuma Gear best.

I already commented, but wanna add one thing. You'll find that most guys will find pieces from each company they like and then run those specific pieces. There are some guys who are brand loyal, but lots of us buy pants from one company, socks from another, base layers from another, rain gear from another, etc. This is typically the best bet to getting the best pieces, and not just the best pieces from one brand.

As a general rule, it's typically believed that First Lite has some of the best Merino on the market
Kuiu and King's have some of the best pants
Sitka and Kuiu have the best rain gear
Sitka has some of the best "layers," and so on. This is all anecdotal of course, but it's just something I've personally observed as I've been part of this forum and in my time around lots of different hunters and outdoorsmen.

I'm sure the peanut gallery will come along saying "bUt SiTkA b-CuZ iT bEsT." But in all reality, all of these companies make pretty decent stuff, and you can put together a really phenomenal kit if you're willing to mix and match brands and pieces. I run lots of King's and Killik stuff because I got a pretty steep discount on it when I worked at Sportsman's Warehouse, but at full retail price I think Killik's value is pretty low. So I'll be replacing lots of stuff with King's as the Killik and my aforementioned First Lite wears out, and that's mainly because King's stuff seems to fit my build really well (5'11, 190 LBS, broad shoulders and 32 inch waist, so lots of stuff fits me funny). But I've also had a couple of Sitka pieces, and I even own Kuiu. I buy what fits and what has the specs I'm looking for, brand name be d****d.

The real key is to buy the best product, not the brand. Who cares whose name is on it? If it works, it works.

Agree with @nobody I’m the same size as he is with 34 waist. I have had FL gear since they started up.
There are also manufacturers that make great early season lightweight gear. FL does make solid merino gear that I wear, but their early season gear improvements haven’t always been the best decisions. I won’t wear their guide lite pants during September elk. They are too loud, but I’ll wear them to daily because they are comfortable. I’ll wear kryptek or gulch gear with hotter temps and it’s much quieter stalking through the timber. Gulch gear is designed to fool games eyes I use it for early elk and early whitetail down south. It does work.
You’ll find patterns, fabrics or fit you like more than others. Try them out or like mentioned previously look through the classifieds on here for gently used gear. I’m not a brand guy either, I just buy what I think will work the best for my hunting situations.
Good luck.

OP
Therustylink
The Obsidian Foundry pant are more durable than the Obsidian Merino, they beefed up the the wear spots with nylon I believe. As far as the Corrugate Foundry, I don’t have a pair so I can’t personally vouch for them. I am primarily interested in the merino wool. Are you buying the camo patterns or the solid colors?
Solid for the pants.

DeePow

FNG
First Lite was my "gateway drug" into technical hunting gear/clothing back in 2018. Prior to that it was "walmart special" stuff. I've still got a few pieces, and I really like their Merino stuff. Here's my analysis:

1. Their pants are a bit too "gangster" for my taste. The crotch hangs super low, not very easy to scramble around the hills and hike. It hangs low enough to inhibit movement without remembering to hike them up before crossing a log or something. They also aren't super rugged, IMO. I've got the Obsidian pants, and they're paper thin on the butt. They run and pill super easy, any time you get snagged on stuff.
2. Their camo patterns aren't very color fast. I'm a big sweater, and anything I wore underneath a backpack had lost all it's color within a season from sweat. I've got a wick hoodie at home that still looks very much new from the front, but it's almost completely white on the back.
3. Their Sawtooth jacket just fits funny. I'm unquestionably and consistently a size large. Their large Sawtooth it extremely tight across my shoulders and has very minimal stretch, and the sleeves and torso are way too long. The insulation in this jacket is also only in the chest and torso, and there's an obvious line where the insulation ends at your shoulders that feels really obnoxious underneath my bino harness and backpack.

When I got into their stuff in 2018, they were priced cheaper than anybody else on the market so I put up with these issues because their prices were good, and lots of guys really liked their stuff so I gave it a good fair shake for a couple of seasons. But now a guy can buy Kuiu for less money, and I've realized I can't stand the things I've mentioned above, so First Lite has lost it's luster to me.

My personal go to is King's Camo new XKG line. Their Ridge pants are probably the best value for hunting pants, I've got one pair that will be used this year for the third year in a row. Their XK7 pattern they came out with last year is really neat looking and seems versatile, though I've got very few pieces in it. As I wear my other stuff out, I'm slowly replacing it with King's stuff. They seem to be the best value in clothing as of today. That may change with time, but that's my analysis.

A different perspective of the Sawtooth Jacket… I absolutely love this piece of clothing and it rarely comes off during the month of September, especially cause I don’t tend to harvest until the last week.

I purchased the jacket a size larger than my typically FL gear, which they recommend because of the specific seams. I love the way the sleeves taper and material gets thicker in specific areas or lighter (your back, forearm, armpit) in others to allow for higher ventilation. The downside to First Lite is they are merely sold online at this point so getting the correct size isn’t as easy as going to a Sportsman’s for Sitka

I don't understand how anyone can continue to buy from them after the chernin investment. I don't think Meateater is anti gun or Steve but I refuse to support them anymore. Giving money to them goes into Chernin pocket which then goes to fighting against guns and the outdoor lifestyle. If you care about the outdoors and this way of life please stop looking the other way. I know people say the infighting is what is killing hunting but I feel like it is people looking the other way for a little cash. Do what you want but I care too much to continue to support them.

If you are going with solids and not proprietary camo patterns, you could save yourself some cash and shop around. Stretch Nylon pants are made by a variety of companies and side zips, DWR, knee pads, and a FL logo may not be options you are wanting to pay $170 more for.
That extra money could then be allocated towards better gear, equipment, or more tags.

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I am going to get new gear for archery season this year and FL is what I am leaning towards. How are the pants? Are they tough?
They have made improvements to the durability. I swear by the Obsidians and if you keep them snugged up using the included suspenders you should not have any issues with tearing getting over downed timber. I have been using First Lite for years-IMHO their merino layering system is the best choice for spending multiple days in the back country in all conditions.

As others, I started with FL gear. I have since upgraded some pieces. I don't believe that any one company makes the best full kit. FL merino is the best in my opinion. Their pants did not last a season for me. I believe that Kuiu pants are superior. Also their gaiters lasted less than six miles in light snow with some rocks; the straps disintegrated. I have been through many gaiters and have not decided on a "great" option. My advice is that you have to find what works for you and your hunt style and conditions. Good Luck.

I cant stand first lites fit , also loud.. its a no go for me.

Best early season pant I have ever worn is the Kuiu Kutana
I have the Guide Lite pants and they are good overall pants but they are excessively loud. I am going to try to make them work but a hunting company should put more into making their products quiet. There is also a ton of loose stitching on the pants which I have never seen on KUIU.

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
I went down the FL Rabbit Hole last year gearing up for my 1st ever elk hunt in MT. I bought a ton of their gear and ran FL exclusively.

So far, no problems. I have almost every piece of what would be considered their "Elk Kit."

FL just fits my body type. Other than the Sawtooth Hybrid I liked every piece of gear that I have.

I kind of became a bit of a "Camo Snob" too. 2-3 years ago, I started buying (IMO) "quality gear." I don't consider myself acasual hunter. I love and breath hunting, and have too for a while now. While I'm also not a "rich guy," I decided to just "Buy once, cry once" for many things hunting. Which is why I went in head first with FL.

There are def "more inexpensive" ways to go, mixing/matching camo and FL baselayers, Sitka mid layers and Kuiu outerwear.....OR even buying Eddie Bauer Guid Pro pants, Eddie Bauer Puffy, Cabelas Camo, Black Ovis merino and Black Ovis Rain gear.

I just decided I wanted to be a camo snob and have everything match! (Yup, total snob.) And while I know that Camo doesn't make/break the hunter, just like the best golf clubs don't make me Tiger Woods, nor the best baseball bat make me Babe Ruth, but I just took the plunge and I'm happy I did.

My Obsidians pants haven't blown out, but I can see where they would and how it could happen. I bought the Foundry Obsidians and they're def more reinforced. Other than that, I like their camo and will continue to buy it....but I'll be honest I spent probably $3-5k last year, so I don't have a lot left to get! 🤣🤣

Marble

WKR
Yeah I am going to get new gear for archery season this year and FL is what I am leaning towards. How are the pants? Are they tough?
If you can make it to something like a scheels oo or other big store to try on, feel and really look at clothing it would help your decision.

I have a mixed bag of 4 to 5 different brands. Whatever looks the best in function (not form) is what I end up with.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

DanimalW

WKR
I really like the merino t shirt and merino quarter zip. Breathes well and seems like all I need in September unless I’m stationary. I sweat a lot, and hate putting on a rancid shirt back on.