Opinion time... Problem or...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amassi

WKR
You are describing a typical deer drive in the Midwest.

30 people out on a couple of tags is also a normal day on a Utah LE unit.
Again I'm only guessing at what the op is upset about.
The YouTube videos are pretty corny if you watch

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

It seems like these guys are hurting the system legally by sheer numbers of limits to be filled.
I mean If twenty guys have two b tags (for instance) and they are all hunting the same area, even if only a quarter of the tags get filled there will be next to nothing there to hunt next season.
If twenty guys go crappie fishing and keep a limit of 25 a piece from one hole, fishing a gonna be real shitty real quick.
Now think, there's dozens of these camps of twenty or more hunters and anglers per area. That's legally devastating on fish and game populations.
Some of them put videos on YouTube same day or next day a lot of times, telling where to go and what tactic to use and almost always by the next weekend that area has been taken over by these large camps.
I see it all the time now in the areas I grew up hunting and fishing and it gets to be a bit upsetting.
Often their camps are left with trash, broken chairs and twisted up canopy frames and fishing line!
Then, when the bites off or the deer have all gone nocturnal, or whatever, they're off to the next lake or zone or season to do the same things there.
I hear you... Didn't quite understand what was going on at first...jf they are littering and trashing the land, sounds like a few calls to local fwp should solve that problem. As far as the management, the FWP is going to have to take that into consideration in tag allocation by the sounds of it

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
MeatBuck

MeatBuck

WKR
Even now looking through the replys it seems that as long as it's legal it's ok... A deeper look is perhapse needed here. A look into fish and game management practices in California for starters.
Your right it's hard to see that any wrong is being done if all's legal. And to me that is more the issue here I guess.
If managed for wildlife instead of for dollars, California would be an outdoorsmans paradise, as it used to be before agriculture and hippies.

OP
MeatBuck

MeatBuck

WKR
Not "Asian rednecks", "California Wolves"!
For you outta staters that's the best comparison I can make.
How do you guys deer and elk hunt in areas overrun by Wolves?

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
More power to em. I won’t be running into those guys in the woods. If I pull up to a trailhead and it’s a parking lot I go somewhere else; even if it means going to an area I know holds less animals.

Okhotnik

WKR
1. Hunting is a huge part of their native culture.

2. I’ve seen very similar pictures from traditional Whitetail hunting camps ranging from MI to Alabama, except it’s a bunch of white dudes. Google image search of “deer camp” turned up a couple which are posted below. Probably wouldn’t be that hard to turn up a photo of Donal Trump Jr posing on an African safari with a support crew the size of a football team.

97e1a46570b043bb2073843e4cb2dda6.jpg
d7a5fb3d149c05f279c78968f76791bd.jpg

Two of my friends in Wisconsin had a run in with a Hmong hunter

I have personally had a few issues with Hmong poaching on my property in Wisconsin too

They shoot song birds, chipmunks, foxes , non legal deer etc. Anything that flies, crawls, slithers, swims is fair game.

A dairy farmer friend had his cows and horses shot by a group of Hmong hunters from the twin cities. He had to call in a number of sheriffs deputies for his safety and to control the situation

Poaching is a big issue with the Hmong but political correctness reigns

Michael54

WKR
It seems like anyone having a problem with it is part of the problem. A group of guys got together to do something they love and were successful while the unsuccessful ones complain. In a state like Commiefornia you need to be happy that there are 30 more people that love doing what you love to do. Hunters will be the downfall of hunting at this rate. Sound like the op has already formed their opinion and is now looking for justification. Its public land. If you don't like how the public is using public land buy private ground. If you cant buy private ground you just have to deal with it. They are just as much a part of the public as you are.

Last edited:

DerkPerk

Lil-Rokslider
@MeatBuck. I am astonished at how ignorant and arrogant you are being. What makes you any more entitled to purchase a tag and hunt”our” public land than anyone else, race, creed or sex??? Of course there a couple bad apples in every bunch. Have you ever seen the local papers “cuffs and collars” section??? Full of stupid asshats illegally baiting, shining, over harvesting and poaching wild game. I will promise you, they are arrogant pricks just like you, thinking they deserve to take that animal. They are the same ones whining about someone else tagging out or finding the crappie hole when they couldn’t. Take your hate somewhere else. We are all here to share the love of the outdoors.

Even now looking through the replys it seems that as long as it's legal it's ok... A deeper look is perhapse needed here.

The only reason a deeper look is “needed” is because people didn’t jump on your discrimination band wagon.

You find a different area to hunt. Plain and simple.

@Michael54. Credit to you for a great reply.

For the record. I am a middle aged white guy that hunts my ass off to provide food for my family from the great resource of ALL of OUR public lands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea man, i live in SW Montana. Everywhere I hunt is overrun by wolves and grizzly. Again, animals respond to pressure. You just have to hunt smart. The old crusty bucks just go way up and hide...

I took both these animals this year from areas that are considered by many to be "ruined" by wolves. I hunt smart, work hard, stay in good shape, and do my best to learn animal behavior.

I am hearing some solid explanations for reasons to be upset by others with direct experience with these guys. 2 valid points:
1) if they are shooting everything that moves illegally, that's a problem. However, that's called poaching, and a quick call to your local warden will ensure those guys won't be hunting again. Problem solved.
2) if they are littering and trashing up the hills in their camps, a quick call to your local warden will slap all of them with hefty fines. Unlikely it'll be a problem again. Problem solved.

If they are legal, man they have as much right to be there as anyone. I don't like their methods either, but that's called freedom. I don't like the way a lot of locals out here hunt either. That's freedom. You gotta just do your thing and not worry about it. That's freedom...
94d13d37ff1367f1e3f682c7498fa603.jpg
c064183cc418eda4e9246ffd2411bee4.jpg

S.Clancy

WKR
The only thing i could see is they may violate party size on some FS lands. Other than that, move on.

kiddogy

WKR
There's upwards of 30 guys hunting out of one camp!

Doesn't give the game or other hunters in the area much of a chance.
so adapt or hunt another area.
sure, it's not my type of hunting . and I wouldn't even want to hunt in the vicinity of them BUT
so long as they are legal they have as much right to be there as you do.

now if they are breaking the law , then yes ,I would take issue.

Last edited:
People take all different tacts to hunting, and the tactics employed are often looked down upon by people that don't do it that way.

Examples - deer driving, hunting with dogs, trapping, hunting bear in dens, hunting deer with dogs and shooting them when they cross roads, shooting wolves, hogs, deer, etc from helos, etc..

Man has been hunting in groups for eons - to improve their chances at success.

More at question, especially when it comes to humans operating in groups, in my opinion only, is the ethical approach taken. If it becomes "lets go out and waste a lot of deer man!" then its appalling. If its simply to get the job done and put meat on the table, then I'm OK with that.

IdahoElk

WKR
While hunters can just relocate to another area what happens to the game? I would think this type of hunting wipes out areas for years?

kiddogy

WKR
While hunters can just relocate to another area what happens to the game? I would think this type of hunting wipes out areas for years?
could be . but if the fish and game is doing their job , this type hunting wouldn't be legal if that was the case.
not knowing much about the area , I figure , it is not up to me to set the laws

could be . but if the fish and game is doing their job , this type hunting wouldn't be legal if that was the case.
not knowing much about the area , I figure , it is not up to me to set the laws
Exactly. The OP argument hinges on the idea that there are enough tags allocated for the given area (that are OTC apparently) so ALL the guys have them. So either there's a LOT of game there, and the area can support that harvest rate or else the management is screwed. Which is an fish and game issue, not a hunter issue. Hunters will assume that tags are allocated based on populations and what's best for the animals in the area.

I honestly thought the initial post was a troll post. Pretty disappointed to see it was supposed to be a legitimate gripe post.

Why is it if, in this instance, a few Hmong people do some poaching shit, "Hmongs are poachers," but when most every other poacher is some white dude people don't say "white dudes are poachers" ??

Anyway, I'm happy to see some Californians are enjoying the great outdoors. As others have stated, y'all could certainly use some more connection to wildlife.

kickemall

WKR
Okhotnik posted this above -
"They shoot song birds, chipmunks, foxes , non legal deer etc. Anything that flies, crawls, slithers, swims is fair game."

I can't speak for the last ten years but for many years prior to that, this is exactly what I saw. Eight to ten Hmong hunters with single shot shotguns walking down through an area and killing everything. A simple call to Fish and Game isn't as simple as that. I made calls, as well as other people I know, and all I got was, "we'll pass it on to the game warden". That time of year wardens are busy and often nowhere near or not able to respond.
I doubt if the guys in the pictures are these type of guys as they appear to be a group of legal hunters enjoying what all of us do. Unfortunately the ones I referred to above have made a bad impression so I understand what the OP is concerned about. If a group of hunters, regardless of race, is hunting legal then more power to them.
I will say this about the ones I saw and it in no way justifies what they were doing - they ate every single thing they shot. I was in a couple of their camps trying to talk to them but the language barrier prevented me from accomplishing anything but this is all first hand info.

Status
Not open for further replies.