OnX Hunt Maps vs GoHunt Maps

slimC

FNG
Any thoughts on OnX vs Go Hunt Mapping software? I currently use OnX Hunt and have been for years and have enjoyed all the features. Really not looking to switch, but I like the GoHunt guys and their content and wanted to see if anyone has used both.

nobody

WKR
I ran OnX until last year when I joined gohunt. I ran both for a month during archery season. OnX was easier at first, probably just my familiarity with it. But at the end of the month, I elected to cancel my OnX membership. It worked well enough, but I had lots of weird, glitchy issues that seemed to get worse the longer I had it. I switched phones at some point in the middle and it didn't make any difference, so the electronics didn't have anything to do with it.

The value is so much higher with GoHunt. I can pay $100 for all the states in OnX, or $150 for all the states I care about, plus all the draw odds and point tracking for those states. I needed maps no matter what, and with starting to hunt out of state, I wanted the draw odds and tracking to help me with keeping track of Colorado and Idaho and Wyoming points and dates and such.

GoHunt has worked really hard over the past year to improve their mapping system and app, and their 3d viewer and navigation get better with every update. I won't say anything necessarily bad about OnX, as it worked great while I ran it. But GoHunt gives me so much more for my dollar. IMO, if you're only hunting your home state and you understand how the draw system works, then GoHunt may not be of much value. But if you're hunting out of state, their program and system are TOTALLY worth the investment over OnX.

But hey, I'm just some random guy on the internet...

OP
slimC

slimC

FNG
I ran OnX until last year when I joined gohunt. I ran both for a month during archery season. OnX was easier at first, probably just my familiarity with it. But at the end of the month, I elected to cancel my OnX membership. It worked well enough, but I had lots of weird, glitchy issues that seemed to get worse the longer I had it. I switched phones at some point in the middle and it didn't make any difference, so the electronics didn't have anything to do with it.

The value is so much higher with GoHunt. I can pay $100 for all the states in OnX, or $150 for all the states I care about, plus all the draw odds and point tracking for those states. I needed maps no matter what, and with starting to hunt out of state, I wanted the draw odds and tracking to help me with keeping track of Colorado and Idaho and Wyoming points and dates and such.

GoHunt has worked really hard over the past year to improve their mapping system and app, and their 3d viewer and navigation get better with every update. I won't say anything necessarily bad about OnX, as it worked great while I ran it. But GoHunt gives me so much more for my dollar. IMO, if you're only hunting your home state and you understand how the draw system works, then GoHunt may not be of much value. But if you're hunting out of state, their program and system are TOTALLY worth the investment over OnX.

But hey, I'm just some random guy on the internet...
Appreciate the insight. Once my OnX sub runs out next year I may go to GoHunt. Only problem is I would lose all my waypoints :(

dcopher

Lil-Rokslider
I have GOHUNT and still choose to pay for onx. They’ll need a new map supplier before I use their product.
Agreed, especially the satellite imagery with GoHunt is not very good. OnX is still a leader, BaseMap is getting really good (I actually prefer it over OnX), and in my opinion Gaia is still the best overall app.

tracker12

WKR
Hard to beat OnX hunt. I love the 3D version on the CPU for scouting new areas.

Txarcher

Lil-Rokslider
Have had OnX for years, had a chance to get BaseMap for free this year. At first I didn't like but I also think it was just a familiarity issue after being with OnX for so long. I will keep OnX through this season but I am liking BaseMap more and more. BaseMap's clarity is much better than OnX

dlee56

WKR
I've been having endless glitches and issues with gohunt maps. I really want it to be good but right now it just can't compete with onx on the reliability front. Gohunt seems to be far ahead of onx as far as road/trail markings whereas with onx some roads marked as a 2-track may or may not just be a walking trail.
Still, can't commit to switching when onx just works and gohunt's app just struggles.

I’ve played with Gohunt maps but something about the transparency of their over lays and just the maps in general doesn’t do it for me. Their 3d is better but I still find myself using OnX and google earth

I looked into switching to GoHunt but stayed with OnX. I found that many folks like GoHunt because they use all the other features that they offer like the tag stats etc.

BigE

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone using Avenza? Seems like the favored apps for hunting are OnX, GoHunt, BaseMap, GAIA or Huntstand?

RWT

Lil-Rokslider
Curious what is best for someone totally new to the apps and hunting out of state. In TX I just buy my license and hunt my property. Now I am looking at outfitters in other states for elk, mule deer, pronghorn and eventually caribou.

Life_Feeds_On_Life

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone using Avenza? Seems like the favored apps for hunting are OnX, GoHunt, BaseMap, GAIA or Huntstand?
Yes I use OnX and Avenza both. Avenza is handy especially if you have a couple maps for the same area but I do like being able to switch to satellite imagery in onx.

Bubba

FNG
Take a look at fat map. The imagery is clear and easy to use. Just started using it for pre-scouting.

onx one feature I really like is mapping a route. You CAN undo the last point or points and edit the route as needed.

gohunt you can't undo previous points, so if ya mess up, you have to start the route from scratch.

That little glitch makes me stay with onx.

I have both but route planning is way easier with onx for this one simple reason.

I contacted goHUNT to inform them of the issue. Whomever I spoke with agreed and forwarded the concern to their team for review. Hopefully, that gets changed.

jrfred

FNG
Been using OnX maps for years and goHunt for unit planning, but the new terrain analysis features on goHunt (elevation bands, slope, directionality) seem to be really cool for hunt planning, and the big monster high resolution offline maps goHunt allows you to download. But OnX has that roadless layer which is a neat feature. I have not compared their 3D vs 3D; I do my initial 3D scouting on GoogleEarth then export. Side note: I imported all my OnX waypoints to goHunt and I lost all my icons; they all showed up as teardrops rather than binos, campsites, benches, saddles, etc. The thing is my onX is only $30/yr I think but regardless I'll probably ditch it once I hear the goHunt glitches stabilize...

Bluesage

FNG
I have used On X for quite a few years and never had an issue. This year I also purchased GoHunt and after a slight learning curve really enjoy it. I have kept both mostly due to most I hunt with have OnX and it is nice to share waypoints easily etc. If somebody forced me I would probably choose Go Hunt just more for your money in my opinion. But since that isn’t the case will most likely use both.