One more caliber For Deer?

Dmbjr

FNG
I’m thinking of picking up one more deer rifle for 90% of the time NY deer hunting. Will be moving there full time in a few years. I have 243, 257Mag, 280, 7mm mag, 308, and 300WSM. I also hand load for all. What you all suggest? I was kicking around these possibilities 25-06, 6.5creed, 270, 270WSM. I’m open to any including I own all the calibers I need. Lol

Man I’d say you have the gambit covered but I’m curious if you feel those rifles have appropriate twist rates (meaning for heavy projectiles). If the 257wby and 243 are slower twist rates I’d have to say a 25creed with a 7-7.5 twist would be money but I’m partial because I shoot one.

If they are all modern twist rates I’d say run what ya got and and invest in some high quality glass upgrades.

Yes, it seems you can use a lever action.

The 360 Buckhammer is worth a look.
I actually bought the buckhammer for my up north bear gun last year. I do really like it and was going to recommend it but there is still such a limited supply in ammo and nothing really premium

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
D

Dmbjr

FNG
I should have included I’m a bolt action guy. Sold my 30-30 and 35

Piddling

FNG
Classified Approved
Seems like you have the same “itous” a bunch of us have - i need more...-itous - i want more…-itous - I thinK I can talk my wife into…-itous. It seems we are all wanting more . (Although we soon put our new purchases aside and start the process all over again) I have it like a lot of my friends. I have multiple rifles from 22 to 308 caliber, shotguns, and pistols (well, let’s not go there). Do I “need” another one? Probably not - but I have the disease of “I want more - itous”.

With a deep recession coming, it might be smart to switch our “need more gun’itous” to "storing up on lead’itous”. One day soon, ”lead" will probably be more valuable than another gun. Lead’s price is down now - availability up. Lots of lead could put one in the drivers seat in a couple of years. I’m trying hard to switch my gun’itous but lead’itous.

Most of the deer in NY are taken with $400 ruger American scope combos from Walmart, or grandpas 870 with slugs. You don’t need anything fancy since the longest shot you’ll have at a deer is 100 yards. You’re plenty well covered with what you got haha

OP
D

Dmbjr

FNG
Seems like you have the same “itous” a bunch of us have - i need more...-itous - i want more…-itous - I thinK I can talk my wife into…-itous. It seems we are all wanting more . (Although we soon put our new purchases aside and start the process all over again) I have it like a lot of my friends. I have multiple rifles from 22 to 308 caliber, shotguns, and pistols (well, let’s not go there). Do I “need” another one? Probably not - but I have the disease of “I want more - itous”.

With a deep recession coming, it might be smart to switch our “need more gun’itous” to "storing up on lead’itous”. One day soon, ”lead" will probably be more valuable than another gun. Lead’s price is down now - availability up. Lots of lead could put one in the drivers seat in a couple of years. I’m trying hard to switch my gun’itous but lead’itous.
I hear you on that. I can also think of many heads for reloading that people would give anything for COVID years back on shelf…

SloppyJ

WKR
.223 or 22 creed would round that out. A 30-30 would be cool too if your shots aren't too long.

7mm08 especially if you reload. A nice bolt action with a maximum barrel length of 22 would be a handy rifle for the woods and also reach out on those powerline easments , clearcuts or farm fields. You don't say in what kind of area you hunt but NY probably has pretty diversified places.
I have quite a few deer rifles (12) in many calibers (11) and I really love the 7mm08 for my 90% deer rifle. Mine currently wears a 3-10x42 scope which I find to be quite versatile as well. I hunt in AL in a very diverse area so I wanted a rifle that would work in most situations very well. Good luck

Choupique

WKR
Well, one way or the other. A .223 tikka rokslide special, or a .375 h&h.

In lieu of a rolex, a man oughta buy himself a proper express rifle in .375h&h or .404 Jeffrey ones he's "made it" in life.

FLS

WKR
I have a safe full of rifles in similar calibers as the OP. I would buy a bolt action 223. I shoot mine 10 times as much as any of the others. It’s enjoyable to shoot, ammo is less expensive, and reloading components are available.