One item you wish you carried sooner?

Wish I would have pushed to standardize batteries sooner. No more AAAs for one device, AAs for another, CR123s for flashlights and headlamps.

Worked to find devices that would run off of 18650s. Can recharge via my solar setup at camp. Headlamp, flashlight, lanterns all run off of 18650s. Wish I could find radios that ran of them, but oh well.

Dezurtrat

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using the rocky talkies and have been fairly impressed with them so far. Put them through some serious punishment last year and they keep on goin. Also being able to recharge them on a power bank/solar is perfect (y)
Wish I would have pushed to standardize batteries sooner. No more AAAs for one device, AAs for another, CR123s for flashlights and headlamps.

Worked to find devices that would run off of 18650s. Can recharge via my solar setup at camp. Headlamp, flashlight, lanterns all run off of 18650s. Wish I could find radios that ran of them, but oh well.

Seeknelk

WKR
A suppressor on the end of my barrel when rifle hunting. Game has not reacted to the shot much at all except the target dying.
I'd also get paranoid with a braked rifle when my standard glassing hunt turned into tracking big bull thru timber(which is actually my favorite when conditions are good).
I'd be tryin to wear the electronic muffs but those sucked and felt so off with them amplifying your breathing and footsteps etc).

TaperPin

WKR
A book - twice I’ve had bad weather lock me inside a tent for 36-48 hours and I was soooo bored.

A compact cow elk call on the binocular strap will stop a walking deer, moose or elk in a non threatening way. A must have.

Stalker69

WKR
A suppressor on the end of my barrel when rifle hunting. Game has not reacted to the shot much at all except the target dying.
I'd also get paranoid with a braked rifle when my standard glassing hunt turned into tracking big bull thru timber(which is actually my favorite when conditions are good).
I'd be tryin to wear the electronic muffs but those sucked and felt so off with them amplifying your breathing and footsteps etc).
You realize that bullet is traveling faster then the sound of speed, right ? It hits them before the sound of the rifle gets it them.

Seeknelk

WKR
You realize that bullet is traveling faster then the sound of speed, right ? It hits them before the sound of the rifle gets it them.
😁 Yes. Sorry I wasn't clear. The other animals around don't react AFTER the shot as strongly as when an unmuffled shot is fired near them.

I get it. I had a pretty good miss (math error on my ballistic chart) a few years back on a deer. Rock next to the deer exploded. I watched the deer look down at the impact spot and not move until the “boom” of the rifle shot reached it. Then that sucker took off.

TheGDog

WKR
He only mentioned the braked rifle to explain what he THEN went on to discuss, which was the dislike for the electronic muffs.

ni7ne

FNG
Unmentioned here, I think...
Two or three meters of lock wire or big orange box equivalent. It's like lighter gauge stainless steel baling wire. Using it like a twist-tie for a quick repair has saved me from a larger headache a couple times. Also, you can suspend things over a fire with it, something that can't be done with synthetic cord or tape.

Stalker69

WKR
He only mentioned the braked rifle to explain what he THEN went on to discuss, which was the dislike for the electronic muffs.
I wasn’t talking about the “ braked “ barrel. Or the electronic muffs. His first sentence is talking suppressed, which is the one he chose to be his “ one item he wished he carried sooner”. Which is exactly what I was talking about.

Dont have much to offer that most dont already know. But for christmas a few years back my wife got me a pair of cut resistant knit gloves that are woven with some kind of metal. Think they were meant for cleaning fish, but they are dang handy for field dressing all sorts of game.

Bonus is they don't get slippery when full of crap like nitrile gloves and weigh next to nothing. They don't leave my kill kit.

20230925_201528.jpg

Dusty

Lil-Rokslider
Of all things, a sponge. I have one packed in with all of my different shelters now. Condensate over night? Hit the walls with the sponge, it dries a million times faster. If you’re in a high humidity situation, say while you’re stuck in the tent all day, it’s super convenient to be able to hit the walls with it to keep them from raining on you and all your shtuff all day. It’s the best addition I’ve found over the past few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good call, especially in single wall shelter!!