Best cartridge for mono bullets on elk under 600 yards?

OpenCountry

Lil-Rokslider
If the brake helps that much it sounds like that’d be the direction I’d go. Only concern is the factory Barnes lrx is 1999 at 600 yards. I’ve read some people recommend staying above 2200 for optimum performance or maybe 2000 at the minimum.
Are you assuming your muzzle velocity?Also, barnes shows a BC for the 190 LRX at .541 vs your listed .499.

If the brake helps that much it sounds like that’d be the direction I’d go. Only concern is the factory Barnes lrx is 1999 at 600 yards. I’ve read some people recommend staying above 2200 for optimum performance or maybe 2000 at the minimum.

I also meant to say earlier, I have been shooting intermediate size (308 case size) cartridges for several years. Over the last couple of years I’ve built some larger cartridges; 300 Norma Mag Improved and 338 Norma Mag Improved. Im planning an elk hunt among other larger animals in the next few year so I wanted more horsepower so to speak. All you “but a .223 can……” commenters can save your breath.

Anyway I have shot nothing but suppressed rifles for the last 13 years and I HATED brakes. But quite frankly the suppressors on the larger cartridges was not allowing me to spot shots. I reluctantly purchased one of the Ti Pro 5 port brakes from the Rokslide store. The first time I shot it on the 300 Norma I was shocked. The recoil mitigation was almost unbelievable. To speak using cliche’ terms the felt recoil was about like my .308. This on a 9.5# rifle shooting 230 Berger Hybrids over 3100fps.

I still don’t enjoy shooting a brake on the bench because I usually double up hearing protection but the ability to easily spot shots in the field is well worth the trade off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Proj

Seeknelk

WKR
I guess my first question would be why monos? Are you hunting a place that requires them I'm assuming?

OP
T

truehaun

FNG
Are you assuming your muzzle velocity?Also, barnes shows a BC for the 190 LRX at .541 vs your listed .499.
That screenshot was from Barnes website. That’s what they have under their factory load. But you’re right if you just go to the 190 lrx bullet it’s .541.

Attachments

• IMG_4543.png
    IMG_4543.png
    128.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4544.png
    IMG_4544.png
    122.7 KB · Views: 24

OpenCountry

Lil-Rokslider
That screenshot was from Barnes website. That’s what they have under their factory load. But you’re right if you just go to the 190 lrx bullet it’s .541.
That makes sense then. Just noticed it as I was debating working up a load with the 190s for my 300 win mag.

JFK

WKR
The best thing you can do is start handloading as you’ll no longer be stuck with factory options for monos. That said, for an off the shelf rifle, with widely available factory ammo, the 270 is a great choice for shooting monos. The 6.5 PRC works too, but with monos, offers no real advantage over the 270. BC is a thing, and makes a difference, but for 600 yards and in it’s not absolutely critical that you have a suped up, ultra high BC bullet. I shoot steel to 600, in wind, with my 270 and the 129lrx, and can hit the 12” plate with boring consistency. You do want to be mindful of your velocities with monos. That load I’m shooting is 1900fps at 600 yards at 1200’ elevation, and 2100fps at 600 yards at 7500’ elevation. Longest I have killed with this setup was 480 yards on elk and it tipped over dead. Wound channel was not impressive at all, however I put the bullet where it needed to go. I handload, and if I was starting from scratch with the intent to shoot monos I’d probably get a 6 creedmoor. Muzzle breaks are an absolute hard no for me.

Practice, practice, practice. 600 yards is a long ways to be shooting at animals. Nothing wrong with practicing further out and imposing some limits on how far you shoot at animals.

I haven’t used it for elk but plan to next year so that part is at your own discretion. But with my 9# 6.5 prc I can spot my shots starting at 300 yards, no suppressor or brake.

grizz19

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve shot Barnes for years and have never had a failure. I’m one of the guys that actually prefers monos. I like a hard hitting controlled expansion bullet, especially for bigger game like elk. I have a 7 rem mag and am shooting the 145gr Barnes LRX. Have a muzzle brake on it and recoil is very minimal. I can definitely stay on or require target very quickly. It’s not a lightweight rifle either so that helps.
If I was starting over a 7 PRC with a big brake and the Barnes 168lrx is what I’d be shooting.

TheHammer

WKR
I’ve shot Barnes for years and have never had a failure. I’m one of the guys that actually prefers monos. I like a hard hitting controlled expansion bullet, especially for bigger game like elk. I have a 7 rem mag and am shooting the 145gr Barnes LRX. Have a muzzle brake on it and recoil is very minimal. I can definitely stay on or require target very quickly. It’s not a lightweight rifle either so that helps.
If I was starting over a 7 PRC with a big brake and the Barnes 168lrx is what I’d be shooting.
This! I’m in the same boat. 168ttsx in my 308s with great success on several big game animals. 175lrx in my 300wsm and 200lrx out of my wm. All great experiences. Vs lead options ive experienced, the outcomes were less than desirable. If I was building a 284 it would be fed 145-168Lrx without hesitation.

I'd guess it could be done with a 6.5PRC and a 123 Absolute Hammer. They fly out of a 260rem, and recoil is manageable, so calling your own shots is doable.

wapitibob

WKR
I thought about a 6.5 PRC and would have used a 120 ish weight solid. I have used a 7stw and 140-143's on Elk with excellent results. I like light for caliber solids.

ManBun

FNG
If focusing only on elk, and you want an absolute elk hammer for 600 yards and in use a 338RUM with Barnes 210 tipped tsx bullet! I’ve killed elk with damn near every caliber between .243 win to 338 RUM and none of those smaller calibers hammers elk as well as a 338 magnum caliber does!!!

OP
T

truehaun

FNG
If focusing only on elk, and you want an absolute elk hammer for 600 yards and in use a 338RUM with Barnes 210 tipped tsx bullet! I’ve killed elk with damn near every caliber between .243 win to 338 RUM and none of those smaller calibers hammers elk as well as a 338 magnum caliber does!!!
I actually started looking at the 338s, but got an x bolt max in 300 win mag 1:8 twist that I I’m gonna try loading with 212 lrx bore riders. Will have to single feed because of overall length but the number are impressive if it will group with those.

Macintosh

WKR
270 will do exactly what you’re wanting
270 win? Could you describe the setup you are using to get good expansion to 600 yards? Mine runs out of velocity around 500, and even that is pushing it. Curious what mono bullet, weight, handload/factory, twist and what estimated velocity is at 600.

prm

WKR
7 PRC.

I have had excellent results with monos. I have not used at extended ranges though.

LightFoot

WKR
If only shooting monos, I would shoot the fastest cartridge I could shoot and manage recoil. I think any of the fast 6.5s with the Barnes 127 LRX (or other mono) is the right answer to your question. If you are going with a short barrel, 6.5 PRC or 6.5 SAUM. If you do a 26” barrel, you may be able to get away with the 6.5 Creedmoor. Consult the ballistics chart and make sure you have the minimum velocity needed for your maximum range at your hunting altitude/temp.

The 6 UM that unknown munitions is working on might be adequate for elk with monos.

>>>——JAKE——>

ianpadron

WKR
My pick would be a .257 Weatherby. 100 grain TSX at 35-3600 will get you there with the flattest trajectory and least recoil

Last edited:
270 win? Could you describe the setup you are using to get good expansion to 600 yards? Mine runs out of velocity around 500, and even that is pushing it. Curious what mono bullet, weight, handload/factory, twist and what estimated velocity is at 600.
Ill bite. Savage 270 ultralite, 1:10 twist, shooting 129gr LRX at MV of 3040 with Unknown Munitions hand loads. Pills are pricey but they shoot .75 inch five shot groups and the Applied Ballistics chart below shows them cruising at 2114fps at 600yds. Well above this community's commonly recommended 2000fps impact velocity for mono terminal performance. ( Barnes suggests 1600fps for the LRX but that's probably generous). I have verified MOA hits out to 980yds using AB via the Leica geovid pros so these tables are right on. The muley buck(s), bull elk and barbary ram that have been killed with this combo have been single shot kills from 190-420yds. Wound channels are better than the TTSX and 1-2 sheared petals have been found 4 inches from the bullet path on the far side chest cavity inner wall. With UM precision handloaded Barnes LRX pills, the 270 slaps as the young folks say.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240103_153814_Leica Ballistics.jpg
    Screenshot_20240103_153814_Leica Ballistics.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 21

SDHNTR

WKR
The recipe looks like this: something fast, 3000+ fps mv, good stock design and a scope with a wide field of view (not too much mag).

Put all that together and, within reason, you can pretty much disregard what the headstamp says.

Last edited: