One Caliber?

I bought a 300 RUM but plan on 'upgrading' to a 338 WM to 'standardize' ammo availability. Besides, Savage doesn't chamber a 300 RUM. My rifle's name is "The Snot Ejector". Need I say more? I use a 308 for deer-sized critters on down but want to have an Alaskan rifle should the need arise. I guess my Nightforce NXS could help fund it.

We could go on regarding this but maybe a muzzleloader in the Ultimate variety could negate this thread and open doors to seasons unavailable for centerfires. What say you (Winter People)?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Unless you are planning on hiring a guide to hunt brown/grizzly bear, your .308 will take care of all the critters up here you wish to hunt. Heck I have even taken grizzlies with my .308.

Last edited:
OP
Brandon Pattison
Woodleigh bullets?

Do you know Darryl Hornbeck of Wasilla?

Unless you are planning on hiring a guide to hunt brown/grizzly bear, your .308 will take care of all the critters up here you wish to hunt. Heck I have even taken grizzlies with my .308.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
The I used just crappy core-lokts when I took the grizz. Not Ideal, but it worked. I am loaded up 200 grain woodleighs to 2500 fps to be my bear load so we'll see how that goes. :D

Nope I don't know Darryl.

Woodleighs make decent bullet, but look at Northfork, Barnes, Swift as I think all three of these are stronger. The are some other newer bullets out there, but those three are good, I know. Even a Nosler Partition does a good job. I've killed many grizzly, moose, elk with a 6.5-06, using 120 J-36 (Lost River Ballistics - No longer made now), 130 Barnes TSX and 140 Swift A-Frames. Most hunters use too much gun and too big of a scope for most situations. Smaller is sometimes better as accuracy and confidence are more important than being scared of the weapon. A 308 will kill everything that walks in N. America as long as one isn't trying to shoot moose at 1200 yards....(this is not recommended with any caliber). A 300 RUM is a great round, for the right hunter as long as the rifle is not too light. I am not muzzle brake fan as the damage it does to the shooters ears is higher and the damage it does to a guide or hunting buddies ears is even worse. My advice to hunters is if they want an ultra light firearm, do shoot an Ultra Mag. In a 9-10 lb rifle, a 300 RUM is manageable, but in a 6-7 lb gun, it is almost impossible without a muzzle brake and I don't like muzzle brakes for hunting. They are great for target shooting and when one takes the time to put in ear protection when hunting (like how often does this really happen?). If you won't be using a 300 RUM For AK, a 338 is a good rifle but more than most hunters need. A 300 Win or WSM will work too. A 325 WSM with 200 Barnes TSX has manageable recoil and packs enough punch for most anything. I use a 375 for guiding bears, but it is not an ideal long range round. I worry more about the guy behind the gun, than what caliber the person is shooting. Trigger time, a proper fit and confidence in your weapon is crucial. Spend the extra money and buy at least one Custom rifle at some point. Don't shoot a rifle that you are worried about scoping you or detaching your retina with massive recoil.

OP
Brandon Pattison
Woodleighs make decent bullet, but look at Northfork, Barnes, Swift as I think all three of these are stronger. The are some other newer bullets out there, but those three are good, I know. Even a Nosler Partition does a good job. I've killed many grizzly, moose, elk with a 6.5-06, using 120 J-36 (Lost River Ballistics - No longer made now), 130 Barnes TSX and 140 Swift A-Frames. Most hunters use too much gun and too big of a scope for most situations. Smaller is sometimes better as accuracy and confidence are more important than being scared of the weapon. A 308 will kill everything that walks in N. America as long as one isn't trying to shoot moose at 1200 yards....(this is not recommended with any caliber). A 300 RUM is a great round, for the right hunter as long as the rifle is not too light. I am not muzzle brake fan as the damage it does to the shooters ears is higher and the damage it does to a guide or hunting buddies ears is even worse. My advice to hunters is if they want an ultra light firearm, do shoot an Ultra Mag. In a 9-10 lb rifle, a 300 RUM is manageable, but in a 6-7 lb gun, it is almost impossible without a muzzle brake and I don't like muzzle brakes for hunting. They are great for target shooting and when one takes the time to put in ear protection when hunting (like how often does this really happen?). If you won't be using a 300 RUM For AK, a 338 is a good rifle but more than most hunters need. A 300 Win or WSM will work too. A 325 WSM with 200 Barnes TSX has manageable recoil and packs enough punch for most anything. I use a 375 for guiding bears, but it is not an ideal long range round. I worry more about the guy behind the gun, than what caliber the person is shooting. Trigger time, a proper fit and confidence in your weapon is crucial. Spend the extra money and buy at least one Custom rifle at some point. Don't shoot a rifle that you are worried about scoping you or detaching your retina with massive recoil.

Thanks, I agree with you on the muzzle brakes. Shot placement is THE most important. I agree on leathality but I also want a round that is readily available too.

luke moffat

Super Moderator

Bryan,

I agree there are a lot of great bullets out there. Only reason I went with woodleigh on this occasion is because they were the shortest bullet for the weight. Meaning I could keep my rounds at a COAL that will easily fit in my mag and still get the most space in the case left for powder.

OP
Brandon Pattison
Bryan,

I agree there are a lot of great bullets out there. Only reason I went with woodleigh on this occasion is because they were the shortest bullet for the weight. Meaning I could keep my rounds at a COAL that will easily fit in my mag and still get the most space in the case left for powder.

Luke,

What is your go-to rifle and caliber?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Currenlty for nearly all my hunting it is my Kimber Montana in .308 that with rifle/scope/rings is right at 5.5 pounds or 5.75 pounds loaded with 4 in the mag. :D Hard to get much lighter, and i am a huge .308 fan. :D

I like to use my CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in 375 H&H. I use 350 grains Norma African PH - Dangerous Game for close to everything up here, mostly for grizzly, black bear and moose. I have used it on woodland caribou. A really nice rifle to carry around up North.

B

bearguide

i agree with the cz 550 375 for big stuff/ it also holds more shells in case you have a problem/ i would pick one of the big 300s for long range because they send 180s at 3300-3500 giving alot of knock down and less of a rainbow trajectory

Last edited: