Older Tacoma or Frontier? Help me choose.

Full disclosure. Nissan employee #110634. I used to work at the Nissan plant in Canton Mississippi as an engineering manager. Now I work remote back in Michigan. Toyota makes a great truck - no question. More mods than you can shake a stick at. I have nothing but good things to say about the Toyota Tacoma.

That said - if you are just looking for a stock truck to buy and drive - it is my opinion you can’t go wrong with the Frontier. It’s cheaper and it just goes and goes and goes. Very solid truck. I actually was on the team that launched the new one before heading back to Michigan. I’m proud of that truck too. The old Frontier has had the same body style of 16 years and a lot of the vehicle really never changed much. We tried to address any warranty issues at the beginning of making that truck and then just kept pumping them out. The gas mileage is not great - but it’s a solid vehicle.
Did you improve the turning radius on the new one?

Muddler

Lil-Rokslider
I had an '07 Frontier Nismo w/ the manual transmission. Loved that thing. Got a tuner I think from Banks and it was even better. Had to sell it once student loans started taking over life.

Also had a '10 Tacoma as a work truck later on. Absolutely hated it, mainly from an ergonomics standpoint. Felt like I was driving a go kart or something. Like I was sitting on the floor and the steering wheel was came up between my knees. Couldn't stand driving that thing.

Drove both for probably 3-4 yrs each. Never had any major mechanical issues.

If it were me, I'd go Nissan.

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Had an 09 Tacoma 6 speed, it was ok.
Horrible mileage out of a v6
Frame rust was still an issue
More recalls than any “American” truck I’ve owned
Very easy to maintain, the 4.0 oil filter was the best idea I have ever seen.
I am interested in seeing if Toyota will keep a manual transmission in the next gen truck.

GFs dad had a frontier, and from what I know it was a pretty good truck. She pulled her small horse trailer with it. He ran the hell out of it with general maintenance
Gave it to GFs son and he ended up wrecking it.

If you go Tacoma, look at the frame real well.
For some reason I've heard that the Taco's get terrible mileage for a medium sized truck with a V-6. I could never figure out why. But they do have a great reputation, and they get around the woods way better due to their size.

Millwood21

Lil-Rokslider
I had a 97 Tacoma an 09 Tacoma and a 13 Tacoma. I liked them all but the 13 was my favorite of the 3. had them from 40k miles all way up to 275k miles minimal repairs. Had to go full size for family reasons is only reason I sold the last one. Mileage wasn't the best but it will get you about anywhere your willing to take it.

nphunter

WKR
I have a 2015 Tacoma with 104K miles, I've had the fuel pump go at 90K miles and leave me stranded in the woods and I had to trailer it home, I've had to replace the front ball joints, shock bushings, bent a rear leaf spring, heater fan works when it feels like it and it gets 13-14mpg on the interstate. It does have a 3.5" lift at 285" tires, lighter aluminum bumpers and skids and a topper and roof rack. It has been an OK truck but it isn't any better in the woods than my early 2000's Xterra, late 90's Cherokee and it doesn't even compare to my Rubicon that was on 37's and got 17-19mpg.

The tacoma is comfortable to me and drives nice down the freeway, with a locker in the front and rear it would do much better in the woods but the winch helps now. I do about 50% or more of my driving on mountain roads and the Tacoma is fun for that. I do like the bed on the back after having so may SUV's but honestly, my next vehicle may be a Rubicon again or maybe a Jeep Gladiator, the Toyota just can't compare to the jeep off-road or on rough roads, you air down and disconnect the sway bar on a jeep and it's like a Cadillac on the rough stuff, even aired down the toyota still bottoms out and bounces all around in the rutted up stuff and if you look at the truck wrong it needs a front end alignment.

I've really considered selling my Taco and buying a Nissan because I could pretty much sell my used 2015 and buy a very nice Pro4X.

Last edited:

VernAK

WKR
I just sold my 03 Tacoma sport cab, stepside box to a buddy so he can teach his son to drive a stick.

My 95 4Runner just went to my daughter for her dog hauling bird hunt rig.......only 110K miles.

I was looking newer because of the frame issues. That is the only reason I went 2010 and newer.
It seems like the frontier is a lot more problematic in general, i personally wouldn’t touch one considering the price difference doesn’t seem to make it worth going that route. Tacos are over priced but there is nothing we can do about that, and most are very solid rigs.

I love my Colorado zr2, but I don’t expect it to be long term reliable like a taco, no midsize pickups seem to be… they just work

CObywayofUSAF

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be one of the outliers here and say Frontier. I'm biased since I've had 2 of them. 2010 I ran up to 170K with minimal issues. Sold it for a 2015 with way less miles. At least here in Colorado, I just couldn't justify the extra truck you get for how much more Tacos are. If money isn't a factor, by all means go for the Taco. My Frontiers have been great to me and as previously mentioned cost way less.

Tbonespop

Lil-Rokslider
Every automaker has their issues. I've owned Ram, Ford, Toyota, and Nissan. Nissan is very under appreciated in terms of quality and reliability. Taco's are good trucks as are Frontier's. Go get a good deal, drive it, and maintain it. If it breaks, fix it then go back to driving it.

MudBugVa

FNG
If you are going for low miles you and your son should test drive both and see which one feels better. If you were going for higher milaege I would pick the Tacoma. Toyotas are great, but there are plenty of happy Nissan drivers out there.

djewell87

FNG
I think Nissans get a lot of hate, but they are actually good trucks I had really good luck with an 06. That being said they aren't on the same level as Toyota.

Tbonespop

Lil-Rokslider
I think Nissans get a lot of hate, but they are actually good trucks I had really good luck with an 06. That being said they aren't on the same level as Toyota.
I went from a Tundra with the 5.7 to a Titan XD gasser with the 5.6, and there is no comparison between the two trucks when it comes to doing work like towing or carrying heavy loads. The Titan XD blows the Tundra away in that regard. I liked the Tundra a lot, but I love the Titan XD. I would have tons of confidence the Tundra 5.7 would last +300,000 miles, its just that the brakes sucked balls and the frame was too light duty for towing heavy. They are great looking trucks. for sure Every time I hook up and start pulling my toy hauler fully loaded with the Titan XD, I just laugh at what it used to be like when trying to pull it with the Tundra (white knuckle shuffle). I wouldn't dare go over 70 mph with the Tundra. The Titan XD has no issue towing that same trailer at 80 mph and not even thinking about it.

tony

WKR
I'm torn which way I want to go with a new truck.
This shit box ranger is going through lemon law / buyback soon. I really like the ranger platform. I won't own another one though.
I'd like to get back into the 6 speed just because its me as the only driver.
Thought about a ZR2 even though its more truck than I'll ever need.
Never owned a jeep, (Wrangler/Gladiator) style.
More than likely it'll be a Tacoma again

wavygravy

FNG
Had a 2012 Frontier 4.0l. Put 150k on her and only ever had to replace the front struts. Surprisingly capable offroad including some pretty hairy situations and honestly I wish I hadnt sold her. Backseat isnt comfortable, but neither is the Taco's. Also sucks at towing anything even remotely heavy but you know what you're getting with a baby truck.