Older Tacoma or Frontier? Help me choose.

Not even a serious question. Go with the "T" Toyotas are still "unstoppable" don't let the net fool you. I'm hard, real hard on trucks. My second and third gen Tacomas have been places most people wouldn't even fathom. Only real knock on the second gen was wheel bearings. Sold it at 200k for 13k, got another, put gas in and go.

steeleb3

FNG
I am wanting to buy an older (2010-2015) tacoma or frontier with low miles. Those of you who own or have owned either, what has your experience been?

My son turns 16 in may. Our kids don’t get their own vehicles, they are my wife and I’s and the kids get to use them. My daughter has been driving a VW Golf I picked up, she is going to college and buying my mom’s CRV. My son could continue to drive the Golf, but I thought this might be a great opportunity to pick up a little truck that my son can drive on the daily and I can take hunting occasionally. I drive a newer cummins, which I love but something lighter and more off road capable seems fun to me. Especially since I sold my ATVs a few months ago.

On a side note, if anybody has one they want to let go of, let me know :). Would prefer an extended cab so my son won’t be hauling friends everywhere.
I did a ton of research on this when i was shopping. Both vehicles are pretty comparable in terms of quality, capability, fuel economy. You cannot beat the aftermarket world for tacoma. There are youtube videos for every mod you can think of for tacoma. BUT. you pay for it. When i researched this, the Taco was like 30% more expensive than the frontier, and for no physical, mechanical reason. Frontiers are awesome little trucks. A helluva lot cheaper than the taco. If you plan on modding, you might just need to do extra digging to find the instructions, guides etc, but I'm sure there is a frontier club forum that has all that.

Frontiers had catastrophic timing chain issues in the V6. I thought about buying one for a daily in addition to my modded Tacoma. Research showed that the timing chain issue was very common, and I ended up running into it more than once while shopping for them. Wrote both the Frontier and Xterra off after that, although they both still have a lot of appeal to me.

OP
PredatorSlayer
Frontiers had catastrophic timing chain issues in the V6. I thought about buying one for a daily in addition to my modded Tacoma. Research showed that the timing chain issue was very common, and I ended up running into it more than once while shopping for them. Wrote both the Frontier and Xterra off after that, although they both still have a lot of appeal to me.
Were there specific years that had this problem?

My daily driver is a 2015 Tacoma. Can’t say enough about this truck. The thing is a tank. I treat it like a 4 wheeler and take it all over the place. Never got it stuck either and buddy have I buried it in some holes.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Plenty of power, kept looking down and I was doing 85-90.
Didnt feel like it.
This one is not the Pro4x, just the standard model 4x4 I guess.
But does have alot of stuff I'm gonna have to figure out.
I will say it has more interior room than my '21 Frontier.

thauglor

FNG
Tacoma all day if you’re keeping it long term. I currently own a 2005 4Runner, 2005 Frontier a with the V6, 2014 Land Cruiser, and a 2020 Tacoma. Prior to owning this Tacoma, I had a 2004 and 2015 Tacoma.

The Frontier isn’t a bad vehicle, but I have had to replace sensors more than once, window motors, front wheel bearing hub assemblies, and other minor things. The motor seems stronger and the Fronty has disc brakes on all corners where the Tacoma has drum on the rear. The Frontier seating sits more like a truck versus the Tacoma, which I find more comfortable than the Tacoma, which has seating similar to the 4Runner which has your butt closer to the floor and in my opinion, not as comfortable.

I had no issues out of either Tacomas nor our 4Runner that we bought new. The Tacoma has a better fit and finish inside, where the Frontier has a cheap feel to it interior wise. Long term, I feel the Tacoma is a better vehicle but you do pay a premium for it, especially used. The only reason I bought the Frontier to begin with was as a stop gap. I had gotten rid of my 2004 Tacoma and bought the Frontier used in 2011. I didn’t want to spend Tacoma money at the time because I was commuting on my motorcycle most every day (I live in GA).

Overall, you can spend less money on a Frontier but have more cost associated with keeping it up over time, or you can spend more for a Tacoma and have less upkeep. If selling at a later date, the Toyota will have a significant higher resale value.
Great review and mirrors my family's experience as well. When I got reended in our pathfinder, looking at car values, the 4runner was 3x the value of the pathfinder for same year and miles. There is a reason that is and Dirtysouth explains it all

Hnthrdr

WKR
Currently driving a 13 frontier 130k miles and, it’s been a great little truck. It can get into plenty rough spots. Depending on your state/area Toyotas will run you a bundle just because they have a cult following, they are great but a frontier can offer about the same experience.

jkdrgn

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve put 325k rough miles on a 2012 frontier. Never been stuck. Still drive it daily. Regular maintenance and some suspension work when bushings get worn out. Best money I’ve ever spent on a piece of gear. Wouldn’t hesitate to buy a similar one, of that generation. Will probably try a newer model frontier when this one gets too tired.

SwiftShot

WKR
I have owned both. The Taco will run better longer. The Frontier came with way more options cheaper. It had locker in the rear. That was handy a few times. The Taco will go a few hundred thousand miles if you do your maintenance.

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
Full disclosure. Nissan employee #110634. I used to work at the Nissan plant in Canton Mississippi as an engineering manager. Now I work remote back in Michigan. Toyota makes a great truck - no question. More mods than you can shake a stick at. I have nothing but good things to say about the Toyota Tacoma.

That said - if you are just looking for a stock truck to buy and drive - it is my opinion you can’t go wrong with the Frontier. It’s cheaper and it just goes and goes and goes. Very solid truck. I actually was on the team that launched the new one before heading back to Michigan. I’m proud of that truck too. The old Frontier has had the same body style of 16 years and a lot of the vehicle really never changed much. We tried to address any warranty issues at the beginning of making that truck and then just kept pumping them out. The gas mileage is not great - but it’s a solid vehicle.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Full disclosure. Nissan employee #110634. I used to work at the Nissan plant in Canton Mississippi as an engineering manager. Now I work remote back in Michigan. Toyota makes a great truck - no question. More mods than you can shake a stick at. I have nothing but good things to say about the Toyota Tacoma.

That said - if you are just looking for a stock truck to buy and drive - it is my opinion you can’t go wrong with the Frontier. It’s cheaper and it just goes and goes and goes. Very solid truck. I actually was on the team that launched the new one before heading back to Michigan. I’m proud of that truck too. The old Frontier has had the same body style of 16 years and a lot of the vehicle really never changed much. We tried to address any warranty issues at the beginning of making that truck and then just kept pumping them out. The gas mileage is not great - but it’s a solid vehicle.
Kind of thought when my frontier wears out that I would get a Toyota, but I might have to take a look at Nissan again

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
For reliability, I've found Tacoma to be immensely better. For ride quality, Frontier is light years ahead.

I’m sure it’s beating a dead horse at this point but Tacoma for sure. It’ll be more expensive initially but they’re not even in the same league in terms of quality

Fordguy

WKR
I've had an 06 frontier for a little over a year now. 4cyl, manual, averages 23mpg, it's slightly underpowered, but I did use it to pull 2 motorcycles on a 12' trailer on a 2000 mile trip. It did just fine. It's a basic little truck. Not many frills, it just does whatever you expect it to (within reason). The fuel gauge works sometimes- sometimes not. I just keep track of the miles on the trip odometer and have never had an issue.
Can't say much about the Toyotas, other than that (while I did get a very good deal) I probably could have several of the Nissan frontiers for what a comparable Tacoma costs.