Older hunters showing up

bummer7580

Lil-Rokslider
In the limited draw elk area I help in the age of the hunter seems to be increasing because of point creep. Many are from the east and this hunt will be a once in a lifetime hunt, they will never draw again. Most are 50-60 yrs old and some over 70. The guys from the east are always shocked at how big the country is and feel perhaps they should have conditioned a bit better. The outfitter on booking always asks them what shape they're in and if they can walk- oh yeah is always the reply. One good fellow(23 points to draw) was wore out and ready to head home after the first morning hunt, the hike was brutal he said. We talked him into riding a horse and killed a good bull that afternoon. Do everything you can to get in shape, condition until it hurts.
Another thing I find interesting is the backpacks people show up with. I picked up a hunters pack last year I'm guessing weighed 30lbs. We are back at camp most days at noon and every evening. Not sure what he had in it but I convinced him to leave most of it in camp. I guess he wanted to be ready for anything but those pounds get brutal on the hike out. My pack weighs 6lbs and I feel covered.
Last thing I'll suggest to these guys is start slow, acclimate to elevation and enjoy their time in the mountains. After a day or two they catch onto camp routine and it becomes fun.
Wish all of you good luck.

JK_CO

FNG
One of our hunting party just drew a sheep tag at age 60+ and getting him into lighter gear and dropping his "this has always worked" cotton layers and 5lb sleeping bag has been an interesting journey to be ready for this hunt. He's now kitted out with solid gear that will last the rest of his life and has probably dropped an easy 15lbs in pack weight but man changing hunting patterns that have been ingrained for SO LONG is a challenge. Logically they understand the benefits, but don't want to change what has worked for all of their hunting so far! When I figured out I could drop 5lbs just from changing my pack system I jumped in because that was 5lbs I didn't have to skip meals to lose!

I'm 56 but I've been doing it on and off for 20 years....started mountain hunting late. That said, our crew has had 20 years to get better with setups. My brother is more stubborn than I am and begrudgingly will adopt things after me. Trekking poles were the big one. He made fun of me the first year I had them until he saw me use them. Next year he had them...lol. Seems like we don't see as many younger guys as those of us closer to retirement. We typically hunt lower point units. I actually hunted with a younger guy for an evening hunt and we stayed in touch via text the rest of the season. Just saw him on the mountain and we started Bsing and hit it off so decided to hunt together that evening as we were both solo. He was muzzy hunting and me bowhunting. He had long range covered and I had short.

I still carry too much stuff, mostly water as we don't want to slow down to fill bottles, but we're hunting deer this year instead of elk, so I have gone through my pack thoroughly to try and take weight out. Got rid of the old buck knife (carry a havalon too) and two of the 4 game bags for example. Will do my final load out this weekend and see what it weighs. It's got 50 lbs of sand in it right now.

Gila

WKR
Unless a hunter is looking for a trophy bull, there really isn’t any reason to hike all over creation. The nice thing about hunting limited entry units is that you don’t have the “crowds” pushing the elk in deep. Packs that are too heavy is a “newbie” thing. Doesn’t take but one season of dragging your butt up around 8500+ feet to figure that one out. Many senior citizens just can’t get into the shape that they used to be in. Just part of the human condition I suppose. I enjoy my creature comforts these days. A nice warm cabin tent with a comfortable bed, hot water and cooked hot food. The terrain where I hunt tends to be a bit more level over time as I age. Your messages are all good and well intended. I just don’t want anyone to feel left out because of their age or that they can’t do it because of their physical condition. I am a DIYer but then I live in Elk country over a mile high.

rambo2345

WKR
I fall into the started later in life category. Certainly not in the physical shape that I should be but know what it takes now. I will depart soon and will spend 2 weeks on the mountain. I will go slow, likely will not hunt all day but will enjoy every minute of it as I dont know how many years I have left in me. Good luck to everyone, happy hunting.

I’m 58. I’ll outhunt a ton of people younger than me. It’s more mental than physical. I guided and outfitted in Montana for years. My guides used to read the contracts and pick out their hunters before they arrived. They learned really fast that age is NOT everything. And while there might be some young studs that can out hike me…. They still don’t out hunt me. My level of confidence boosts my physical stamina. Failure is not an option. I’ve punched every elk tag since 1999. Some of these whipper snappers were still in diapers when I was killing bulls. I definitely hunt hard. Anyone can do that. But old means wise and I hunt way smarter than I used to. Not everyone can do that.

wyosteve

WKR
When I have/had friends from the east or midwest come out to hunt, the first thing I'd do at the trailhead is go through their duffel bags and backpacks and throw crap out. They stand there with their mouths open wondering how they'll survive without a clean pair of underwear or socks for every day we're in camp! Usually cut the weight in half by the time I'm done.

If the mountains aren't ever bigger than I thought when I pull up I'll probably stop elk hunting.

How in the world is your pack 6 pounds? My SG frame + bag is ~4 pounds, maybe 5, and my spotter is another couple pounds. That's just two things (no tripod even). Hell I think my kill kit is approaching 16 ounces.

there's so much BS and inconsistency with pack weights its insane. skin out weight is the only logical way to have the discussion, but then everyone gets hurt egos because they realize that the "ultralight" set up is still 60-70# skin out for a week.

Gerbdog

WKR
Just cant get the math there for me. No chance. 3 L of water alone is gonna top that 6 lbs.

Day pack when i leave into elk woods:

Kifaru pack - not a small one - its got some cubic inches involved
3 L water
Game Bags
Kill kit (knives, sharpener, gloves, etc.)
Lunch
Hiking Poles - man this is huge for the pack out with meat
Spare meal bar incase i am in for a late night (success!)
Some paracord
Lighter - cause maybe things gone wrong
inReach mini

actually let me go see what else is in there...

Rain jacket
Puffy jacket
Spare battery to charge phone since this has my navigation on it
Some orange flagging
Head lamp
extra batteries for head lamp
extra release for bow
some iodine tablets
Toilet paper - small individual packet of dude wipes

I dunno.... maybe thats alot ..... then on my chest - binos, range finder, calls

In any case .... yea i just dont see how i get that down to 6 lbs.... and i dont think im gonna go deep without some of these insurance policies.

That said : if your just doing morning hunts? then an evening hunt? I can see cutting that water weight, cutting the meals.

I spend all day in the woods, rain, sun, snow, wind, whatever.

OP
B

bummer7580

Lil-Rokslider
If the mountains aren't ever bigger than I thought when I pull up I'll probably stop elk hunting.

How in the world is your pack 6 pounds? My SG frame + bag is ~4 pounds, maybe 5, and my spotter is another couple pounds. That's just two things (no tripod even). Hell I think my kill kit is approaching 16 ounces.
I don't carry a spotter but wear a pair of 10x40 Swarovskis around my neck. My knife is a Havalon and I carry small GPS, small headlamp and small emergency kit(space blanket, para cord, lighter, first aid kit, etc.). Pack itself is a lightweight fanny pack with shoulder straps. It has tie down straps to hold a hoody I may take off. It also has 2 outside pockets for 12 ounce water bottles. Inside the bag I also carry a couple of protein bars and the most important item- toilette paper. We return to camp at noon each day at noon so I feel I don't need a lot of food along. Much of my clothing is Gortex so I don't carry rain gear. When we kill a bull we retrieve it with horses so I let them carry game bags and ax.

One of our hunting party just drew a sheep tag at age 60+ and getting him into lighter gear and dropping his "this has always worked" cotton layers and 5lb sleeping bag has been an interesting journey to be ready for this hunt. He's now kitted out with solid gear that will last the rest of his life and has probably dropped an easy 15lbs in pack weight but man changing hunting patterns that have been ingrained for SO LONG is a challenge. Logically they understand the benefits, but don't want to change what has worked for all of their hunting so far! When I figured out I could drop 5lbs just from changing my pack system I jumped in because that was 5lbs I didn't have to skip meals to lose!
What was the cost of the replacement pack to shave the 5 pounds? And if someone were to offer that much money to you to carry 5 pounds over a single hunt, would you?

OP
B

bummer7580

Lil-Rokslider
Where's your water? I normally carry 3-4L of water every day where I hunt. That's 6-8lbs right there. My day pack always comes in right around 15-17lbs and I rarely even notice it's there. I'm 58.
Because I return to camp twice a day the most water I carry is a couple of 12 ounce bottles. I'm older than you and I decided a long time ago because of where and how we hunt I was carrying a lot of items I could do without.

I don't carry a spotter but wear a pair of 10x40 Swarovskis around my neck. My knife is a Havalon and I carry small GPS, small headlamp and small emergency kit(space blanket, para cord, lighter, first aid kit, etc.). Pack itself is a lightweight fanny pack with shoulder straps. It has tie down straps to hold a hoody I may take off. It also has 2 outside pockets for 12 ounce water bottles. Inside the bag I also carry a couple of protein bars and the most important item- toilette paper. We return to camp at noon each day at noon so I feel I don't need a lot of food along. Much of my clothing is Gortex so I don't carry rain gear. When we kill a bull we retrieve it with horses so I let them carry game bags and ax.

When you're ready to quit let me know I'll apply. :)

OP
B

bummer7580

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah if I was getting to hunt that close to camp I could do the same. You are working for an outfitter right?
Yes we are fortunate to be in an LE area that allows us to do a morning hunt and evening hunt. The area we hunt is great for glassing and we often know where the elk are holed up and we prefer not to accidentally bump them from their bedding area. We seldom get farther than 2-3 miles from camp or a truck. If I was headed deep I agree my pack would weigh more than it currently does but I even then everything in that pack would be as light as possible.
An interesting observation is many of the guides I've had in New Mexico and Arizona don't even carry a pack. They carry what they need in their jacket pockets to process a kill knowing they will be coming back with pack frames later. On guided hunts in the Thorofare in Wyoming the cowboy guides didn't wear packs either. They kept a knife, a bit of rope and a water bottle in their Carhart jacket pockets.