Old guys packing elk!!,

TAGPUNCHER

Lil-Rokslider
Was wondering if you Solo hunters have a particular process to pack out a elk? Do yall
always de-bone? Do yall leap frog meat,or make one straight run at a time? Any tips yall have is most appreciated. I have always hunted in a group and had help. I will be alone this whole September. Only blackies and lions where I will be,so no Griz. My biggest fear is weather and temp. If weather is plenty cold I will bring him out steak by steak if my Old ass has too.Lol Thanks guys.
Charles

Backyard

WKR
Was wondering if you Solo hunters have a particular process to pack out a elk? Do yall
always de-bone? Do yall leap frog meat,or make one straight run at a time? Any tips yall have is most appreciated. I have always hunted in a group and had help. I will be alone this whole September. Only blackies and lions where I will be,so no Griz. My biggest fear is weather and temp. If weather is plenty cold I will bring him out steak by steak if my Old ass has too.Lol Thanks guys.
Charles

52 aint old. JS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TAGPUNCHER

TAGPUNCHER

Lil-Rokslider
No not so much as age goes, I have had 5back surgeries and just really gotta watch it close. 50-55lbs is all I'm toting at a time.

All depends on the location, but no elk is easy solo. If you’ve gotta get out of a steep technical spot, do all that first while you’re fresh so the rest is just cruising. The last thing you want to do is get exhausted from multiple runs and then twist a knee/ankle going down something steep or thru blowdown. See if any local outfitters do meat packing services. Even if you don’t use them it’s a good backup in case you get injured or kill one in a terrible spot.

I prefer to leap frog. It's the same total distance any way you slice it, but I like to break the task into smaller chunks with more frequent breaks from the weight rather than a few long hauls straight to the truck.

Trekking poles are a huge help. So is a water bladder with a hose that allows you to drink while walking.

OP
TAGPUNCHER

TAGPUNCHER

Lil-Rokslider
Good point. I haven't looked as far as packing help. I figure most guides don't wanna fool with that,but will definitely something I will look into. I have helped pack a few but not many. Almost in a weird way looking forward to trying. I know it's real easy saying that now here in Mississippi. That first load will have me rethinking my whole entire existence!

Taudisio

WKR
Took dad (62 years young) out for his 3rd elk hunt ever. We knocked down two cows (different days). He carried out one head (evidence of antlerless), and got tasked with holding legs while I cut and moving the truck closer for me. I did the rest of the work as payback for the thousands of times he has taken me out hunting.

I’m positive he would recommend bringing your son in his 30’s!!!

BBob

WKR
Charles
Do yall always de-bone? On a pack hunt definitely.
Do yall leap frog meat,or make one straight run at a time? Leap frog for sure. We pack 30-40ish lbs at a time. When bears are an issue we attempt to hang the meat or sink in a creek. It's not always possible and you just do what you can do the best you can. They almost always get some of it.

TaperPin

WKR
Definitely bone everything. I like to use pillow cases and everything going into the burger bag is well trimmed and clean enough to go right in the grinder or cut into steaks.

One nice thing about leap frogging is it breaks up the day and you can go as far as you feel like. Each situation is different though, and it can be nice to make it all the way to the trailhead. One year I was only halfway down and the right knee started to feel a little sore. By the time it was done I couldn’t hardly bend it - should have taken it a little slower with lighter weight and stretched the pack out to 4 days instead of 3.

Chief23

FNG
I knocked a bull down in Montana last year. A little over a mile from the truck. Getting it out wasn't to bad. Walking back up the mountain was a sob. Several years ago I bought one of those cheap plastic toboggan sleds. What a life saver it is. It easily hauls two elk quarters at a time. At 69 the legs just aren't what they used to be. It's a tuff place to get up into but I have been successful every year that I am able to draw a tag and hunt it.

prm

WKR
57 here.

Absolutely debone. I tend to prefer going a little heavier vs. making more trips. Even an empty trip can have some wear and tear. Not so heavy as to risk injury though. 3 or 4 trips for ~225 lbs of meat, possibly hide and/or antlers. If pass someone on horseback they can be very helpful!

The last bull I packed out, ~5mi each way with one crazy steep climb, made me realize I need to be honest about my knees, distances, and slope. Or just hunt Mule Deer!

Maverick1

WKR
Charles
I don't think age is the #1 factor. Physical and mental fitness are more important. Age is definitely a factor. But who would you rather have with you to pack an elk off the mountain? A 22 year old fat slob that weighs 500 pounds and can barely walk from the recliner to the fridge, or an older, experienced Sherpa, regardless of age?

In any event, the approach is the same (either by yourself or with a Sherpa; not with the fat guy. Leave him at home):
  1. Quarter, hang meat in tree.
  2. Pack out first load.
  3. Return to kill site.
  4. Debone.
  5. Load pack up with a weight that you are comfortable carrying for the required distance.
  6. Backpack meat out to vehicle.
  7. Repeat steps 3-6 until finished.

king402

FNG
Charles
I debone and hang it in a spot that will be shaded all day. I then pack out complete trips to the truck. That way I can recover, rehydrate, refuel at the truck. This is a good problem to have since it means you notched a tag!

I'm 64 so its a little slower than it used to be, but I have used a 2 wheeled game cart several times to move meat. Shuttling meat to a clearing or more open woods is often necessary, but on a trail or gated road it is an awesome tool. It does bog down under a load if the soil is very loamy. I normally carry antlers and a bag of meat to the truck on the first trip, then retrieve the cart for the rest of the job.

OP
TAGPUNCHER

TAGPUNCHER

Lil-Rokslider
I'm acting like I just saw the nock disappear in his chest! I gotta kill one first. Hate putting the cart before the horse...I don't think anyone ever got pissed for being over prepared.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Best thing for older guys is have young guys lined up on your phone or satellite setup. Last bull 2 yrs ago used my zoleo and had two 30 yr olds up that night made for an easy pack out🤙 used to bone some or just throw them on and go heaviest load first. Getting old sucks good luck🤙

Idaboy

WKR
I don't think age is the #1 factor. Physical and mental fitness are more important. Age is definitely a factor. But who would you rather have with you to pack an elk off the mountain? A 22 year old fat slob that weighs 500 pounds and can barely walk from the recliner to the fridge, or an older, experienced Sherpa, regardless of age?

In any event, the approach is the same (either by yourself or with a Sherpa; not with the fat guy. Leave him at home):
  1. Quarter, hang meat in tree.
  2. Pack out first load.
  3. Return to kill site.
  4. Debone.
  5. Load pack up with a weight that you are comfortable carrying for the required distance.
  6. Backpack meat out to vehicle.
  7. Repeat steps 3-6 until finished.
True...just outta curiosity, are you under or over 50?

Best thing for older guys is have young guys lined up on your phone or satellite setup. Last bull 2 yrs ago used my zoleo and had two 30 yr olds up that night made for an easy pack out🤙 used to bone some or just throw them on and go heaviest load first. Getting old sucks good luck🤙
It's surprising how much help 50 bucks and a dirty 30 of Keystone Light will buy you!