Official Montana 2024 Draw Thread

What season will you be hunting this year?

• Archery

Votes: 44 31.2%
  • Rifle

Votes: 38 27.0%
  • Both

Votes: 59 41.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hello again Everyone,

As everything is thawing out here in MT (or at least trying to), it's nearly draw time again. Posting this so that we can all communicate our annual victories/frustrations with the Montana draw system and clear up any confusion with rules/regs. If you're new to applying in the state, below are some of the ways that you can search for your results (draw is tenatively mid-April but we know how that works). Looking forward to seeing some nice bulls/cows in your success threads this fall, best of luck everyone.

(quickest search method) Excel Search: https://myfwp.mt.gov/fwpExtPortal/searchHunters_input.action
(standard search method) Drawing Lookup: https://myfwp.mt.gov/fwpExtPortal/myDrawResult_input.action

Raghornkiller

Lil-Rokslider
We had planned on hunting Montana this year,unfortunately the guy in our group who had 3 points applied by himself and the rest of us only have two.He's pretty new when it comes to hunting out west and i guess he thought he'd do his own application so he doesnt have to bother me.He has no idea how bad he messed up and I'm not going to tell him because it wont change anything.I don't ever draw tags unless I have at least 99% drawing odds so I'm already changing my plans.

I entered the draw this year with only 1 point but I have a secret stradagy that's probably likely to fail but we will see? Last year I got in with 2 points and felt pretty lucky to have drawn. I will likely only Bow hunt if I'm lucky enough to draw as I don't really have the money to travel to Montana twice plus I really love hearing them bugle?
I wasn't able to cash in last year though and take an elk home but I'm really in for the hunt! The elk last year were not very obliging however as they were not bugling where I was hunting till around the 20th or so during the day anyway. They did however start bugling hard at around the 17th but I was at 3 AM in the moring. It was so awesome to me hearning them even though I couldn't do anything but listen from my tent. I'm not sure I would have heard them had I not been tent camping. I was camping at less than 8k feet but though they might have been bugling up higher most I talked to said they were not hearing them up high and many left the area looking for greener or at least more buglely pastures. I have a fall back state but it hasn't been as Elky as Montana but I would be tempted to go there or I might just do more fishing in my home state of NC if I don't draw. I'm 74 though and never killed one and in part due to age I don't expect my odds of taking one in the future are increasing. I'm an Ex Marine and a lifetime RMEF member and though possibly inept I'm very stubborn so not giving up without a struggle. Semper Fi MF (mother and father)......

Pancake

FNG
I'm in and hoping to cash in my 2 preference points and 7 bonus points. I'm really interested to see how the draw shakes out. Guessing 2 PP will be around 70%, but I could see it being anywhere between 50% and 80%.

We had planned on hunting Montana this year,unfortunately the guy in our group who had 3 points applied by himself and the rest of us only have two.He's pretty new when it comes to hunting out west and i guess he thought he'd do his own application so he doesnt have to bother me.He has no idea how bad he messed up and I'm not going to tell him because it wont change anything.I don't ever draw tags unless I have at least 99% drawing odds so I'm already changing my plans.
Did he do it on purpose?

Does anyone have an expected date the results should be out this year? And what is the method for checking results quickly and accurately?

Pancake

FNG
I do believe 2 points is 84% chance to draw this year
84% was last year's odds with 2 points. No one can fully predict what this year will be since we can only guess how many people will apply at any level.

OP
mountainman406
I do believe 2 points is 84% chance to draw this year

Assuming application numbers are the same as last year, 2pt odds should be lower this year because of the increase to people with 3pts(unsuccessful with 2pts last year). I think 70-75% is reasonable to expect, but depends on applications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mountainman406
Does anyone have an expected date the results should be out this year? And what is the method for checking results quickly and accurately?

Links are in the first post. I haven’t heard anything locally yet but last year was the 17th, week of the 15th is a safe bet.

OP
mountainman406
I entered the draw this year with only 1 point but I have a secret stradagy that's probably likely to fail but we will see? Last year I got in with 2 points and felt pretty lucky to have drawn. I will likely only Bow hunt if I'm lucky enough to draw as I don't really have the money to travel to Montana twice plus I really love hearing them bugle?
I wasn't able to cash in last year though and take an elk home but I'm really in for the hunt! The elk last year were not very obliging however as they were not bugling where I was hunting till around the 20th or so during the day anyway. They did however start bugling hard at around the 17th but I was at 3 AM in the moring. It was so awesome to me hearning them even though I couldn't do anything but listen from my tent. I'm not sure I would have heard them had I not been tent camping. I was camping at less than 8k feet but though they might have been bugling up higher most I talked to said they were not hearing them up high and many left the area looking for greener or at least more buglely pastures. I have a fall back state but it hasn't been as Elky as Montana but I would be tempted to go there or I might just do more fishing in my home state of NC if I don't draw. I'm 74 though and never killed one and in part due to age I don't expect my odds of taking one in the future are increasing. I'm an Ex Marine and a lifetime RMEF member and though possibly inept I'm very stubborn so not giving up without a struggle. Semper Fi MF (mother and father)......

Fingers crossed for you, with point creep and the rule changes for tag allocation, you’re honestly better applying with 0pts for your first year and then buying one for the second year. 1pt is pretty much a black hole with 0% odds unfortunately

Sad to say I passed this year, the area I hunt took a beating last year from previous winters and money has been tighter for me. Going to work on training the new pup and bowhunting ND this fall.
Me too. I looked at the 1400 price tag and am just going to pour more time into my in state hunts with the kids.

mikeafeagin22

Lil-Rokslider
No,he will turn his tag back if the rest of us don't draw.I guess he just wasn't thinking or just has no idea how the draw works.
Dang. Hope all of you draw! That would be rough losing three years of preference points just to hand them a tag back.