Off season for the dogs

jmez

WKR
Cool all day today. High was 67. You g dog this am, older dog this evening. Young dog is finding a lot of birds but we're still working on holding them. Can't get pictures, busy with check cord or collar with her!
116cfbf0a704fa77a9f52690821a7178.jpg
ab9e5588fe70e3c6c373787a218f9f25.jpg

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2024 using Tapatalk

WKR
Hotter than blazes today. 100+ when we finished water work.

Field search and pointing
Hare drag
Blind retrieve
Live duck search

She could pass the test tomorrow, but I’m glad we have four more weeks for cleanup.

View attachment 745267
That is so hot for drahts. Good luck in the test. Regardless, I found the test training helped all facets of hunting so I was a big fan of that. Anxious to work another pup down the road myself.

KurtR

WKR
Started a double master today. Line manners were horrible had a handle on one mark and cheated most the water. Three series is a lot to ask having not ran a test since June but were through to fight tomorrow. We need to be on our A game tomorrow to make it to Sunday.

The dog had a blast and he doesn’t care about ribbons. So that makes it all worth it.

OP
Jason Snyder
That is so hot for drahts. Good luck in the test. Regardless, I found the test training helped all facets of hunting so I was a big fan of that. Anxious to work another pup down the road myself.
Yeah, certainly very warm. We stake the dogs out in the shade and make sure we’re giving them swims to cool off in between field tasks. A couple of the dogs struggled in their field search in the heat. Tests around here in September could be 90 degrees plus by mid day, so it’s just something you work through.

And yes, the testing is so valuable in that it puts you on a timeline to train and makes it hard to procrastinate. It’s amazing what a VGP dog will do in the field.IMG_1194.jpegIMG_1197.jpegIMG_1203.jpegIMG_1204.jpeg

Last edited:
We made it through all 6 series and the 6th was his best one of all now waiting to see if we get some ribbons. How ever it turns out I am really happy how we ended it.

Heck ya !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TSAMP

WKR
We worked on campground manners this weekend in Southern IL. Ive been running them on some state land but I can't say we've seen birds. Doesn't sound like that'd unususal.

Update: found some phez this morning. Looks like it's a permit access and only a couple days a week open for hunting. Can't say I'll be back for birds. I did notice I need to run my dogs seperate more. I do it now but sometimes let them "off leash" together when not training. The little one doesn't do much besides pester the old one. 1000004032.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Jason Snyder
IMG_1210.jpegIMG_1211.jpegIMG_1212.jpegMore water work last night. I feel like we are starting to really turn the corner in terms of confidence. She was taking great lines and showing LOTS of drive.

We’re traveling this week, so I’ll use that as opportunity to train new spots and new water every day.

TSAMP

WKR
Anybody got good training tips for pointing dogs and pen raised quail? I've shot a dozen or so wild quail but never trained with them.

Got about 10 good fliers with plans to use tomorrow. My pup has been remarkably steady in training but it's been 90% on pigeons and chukar in launchers. My gut says put quail in the launcher as well.