Off highway vehicles Idaho

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
Ok guys this will be my First trip out of state and am headed to Idaho wondering about the following and the laws in Idaho. The area I plan to Hunt has a motorcycle trail that is off limits to atv but open to
Motorcycles. I was thinking of bringing my dads old Honda 90 trail bike to get away from everyone as I’m told by my cousin not many people take this trail due to being closed to atvs.

Anyway on to the question, what are the laws in Idaho for off highway vehicle registration? Can you use a vehicle that’s registered in California and is legal in California? I would assume it’s the Same as taking a normal vehicle but Im not sure.

Not legal if it’s a unit with a motorized hunt rule, which is easy to find out. If it does have a MHR you can ride a dirt bike or atv but only on roads open to full size vehicles. Either way have a way to check the USFS motor vehicle use map, OnX, Gaia or Avenza as the MVUM is what wardens go by. Can’t help you on the registration question.

That is not always the case. Some trails allow the use of dirt bikes to transport your camp in and out but not to hunt off of. You would have to call the correct forest service to ask about the specific trail your wanting to ride.

In units with ohv restrictions, you can ride in on the trail but you must camp. I usually just spike camp in near the trail then relocate as pressure increases. Lots of people break that rule and it’s damn frustrating to hear motors at prime time in the morning (especially after freezing in a tent when they were in a comfy heated camper way back).

This would be a good place to start.

Took my dirt bike for years on the motorcycle only trails. But be warned the guides and horse hunters quit cutting out a lot of that trails. Knowing a horse and step over a log of tree 18" off the ground. Where a motorcycle has to work to get over or go around. And I never had my bike a Honda CRF 230 registered, and had no problems in Idaho.

Took my dirt bike for years on the motorcycle only trails. But be warned the guides and horse hunters quit cutting out a lot of that trails. Knowing a horse and step over a log of tree 18" off the ground. Where a motorcycle has to work to get over or go around. And I never had my bike a Honda CRF 230 registered, and had no problems in Idaho.
A lot of us have stopped cutting out trees 18” of the ground from the disrespect of other users not slowing down while approaching, tearing up large wheel tire ruts that can make our horses lame or break their leg! And as for not being registered shame on you! That is where a lot of the money comes from to improve/maintain our trails! I once caught a guy using his motorcycle to hunt off from in a non motorized unit! Had been working a bull for four hours when the sob came driving up the bottom! Screwing up my morning work on a 320 bull! I made his night a living hell and placed a boulder in the trail his bike could no way make it around he finally got off the trail at midnight, without his bike! The next morning I left a note on his cycle that this is a non motorized hunting unit and walk in and not hunt off his bike!

I do not think Idaho has a reciprocity agreement with California for off road vehicle stickers, only Washington and Montana if I remember correctly. Depending on where you go, you can buy the Idaho sticker at a local dirt bike shop, with the proper registration documents (registration, title, etc), for $15 and you are free to ride. The units that limit the use of motorcycles to "hunt" from are down south. Use the map listed above and make sure the trail isn't closed, some are seasonal.

Thanks for the input guys. Just to be clear I wasn’t planning on hunting off the bike just get further off the main Road everyone rides there atvs on then walk from there.. but if I have to go through the hassle of getting an Idaho sticker and all that ita
Just not worth it to. Thanks for chiming I’m guys

Thanks for the input guys. Just to be clear I wasn’t planning on hunting off the bike just get further off the main Road everyone rides there atvs on then walk from there.. but if I have to go through the hassle of getting an Idaho sticker and all that ita
Just not worth it to. Thanks for chiming I’m guys

You don't need an Idaho sticker if it is registered in your state already and you are only planning on being on forest service roads and avoiding county roads and such.

Here's a link to the whole pamphlet that has all the info:

https://parksandrecreation.idaho.gov/sites/default/files/uploads/documents/Recreation/OHV Website/OHV Laws, Rules and Requirements_2011.pdf

Capture.JPG

As was mentioned before though I would check the regulations to make sure the unit your hunting isn't under the motor vehicle rule restrictions. If it is a unit the fish and game has listed with the motor vehicle rules then you can only use atv and motorcycle only trails to pack camp in and out and pack meat out. It can be open trail for riding, but if you are day hunting or hunting off the motorcycle then it is illegal.

Last edited:
You don't need an Idaho sticker if it is registered in your state already and you are only planning on being on forest service roads and avoiding county roads and such.

Here's a link to the whole pamphlet that has all the info:

https://parksandrecreation.idaho.gov/sites/default/files/uploads/documents/Recreation/OHV Website/OHV Laws, Rules and Requirements_2011.pdf

View attachment 118611

As was mentioned before though I would check the regulations to make sure the unit your hunting isn't under the motor vehicle rule restrictions. If it is a unit the fish and game has listed with the motor vehicle rules then you can only use atv and motorcycle only trails to pack camp in and out and pack meat in and out. It can be open trail for riding, but if you are day hunting or hunting off the motorcycle then it is illegal.
This is what i was told last year. Went in to a USFS and asked. I was registered in CA so they said I was good to go.

Definitely check regulations and do your homework. Because last year I spent a whole day hiking into an area that is only accessible by foot or horseback. When we finally got back to where we wanted to be, there were guys camped in there with quads, going around the entire area on quads. My guess is they ran over the sign at the beginning of the trail, that said no atv on the way in. It was quite frustrating. Looking back now I should have made a call about it, because not only did it mess it up for me and my party, but other people trying to get away from all that nonsense.

Back