Odd Question: Anyone Enjoy a Good Kicking Gun Like Me?

I remove all brakes from my hunting rifles. I can’t stand to wear hearing pro when hunting and I often sit with one of my sons in a box blind.

I was doing some final zero confirmation of my Remington Sendero 7mm STW today and I was enjoying the kick. It lets me know the gun is alive and will absolutely wreck any critter in its path.

Anybody else like the “thrill” of a gun that packs a punch?

bsnedeker

WKR
I enjoy the feeling of superiority I get from shooting an unbraked magnum over all those wussies shooting braked 6.5 creedmores if that's what you mean.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

mt100gr.

WKR
Watching impacts let's me know the gun is alive, and that it will absolutely wreck anything in the exact spot I place the crosshairs.....AND I GET TO WATCH!!

Gila

WKR
Heavy recoil is all I have ever known so I can’t say that I enjoy it or not. Had my own 20 gauge pump for ducks when I was 12. Was shooting a 30’06 at 13. Never really paid much attention to recoil pads either. But I did change out the recoil pad on my Tikka lite 300 win mag before I ever shot it. I don’t know what the difference might have been with the stock pad. I can shoot the T3x lite 300 win mag all day long because I really do like shooting that gun. A 12 ga. 3.5 inch turkey load in a x-full choke will get my attention but I don’t find it uncomfortable. My 870 12 ga. slug gun rattles my teeth but i don’t shoot it much anyway.

I can understand a muzzle brake for competition but not for hunting rifles. I won’t go around anyone that uses a muzzle brake. I personally have no use for a muzzle brake. Earmuffs are ok for pistol or shotgun but not rifle shooting. I wear the noise canceling earbuds. Tinnitus really sucks swamp water.

do you shoot better when there's more recoil? What's your typical score on Forms hunting test with the STW vs your milder rifles?

I really enjoy drinking IPA's, especially compared to water, but my performance at most tasks decreases after a few, while water has seemingly no effect. This is very similar to high recoiling guns in my experience.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Love my .300 Win. and .375 Ruger.
I dont consider either as hard kicking.
But they let you know.

I enjoy them in certain situations--- the range bench is not one of them. If you don't wanna use ear pro of some type (no excuse really)-- then run a suppressor.

Barrett .50 -- yes (many giggles with this one)
Heym 450/400-- yes-- it wasn't mine, cost more than my truck, but I can say I shot a true elephant gun
Rem 870 12ga (work)-- yes- kinda, fun to run it fast a few shots, but not many

I just lucked into a lefty CZ550 in 375H&H and I hope it's 'fun' for a few shots.

Factory, unbraked deer rifles (7rm, 30/06, 300wm)-- Hard no

No because I'm smart enough to know better.
If your shooting in a blind there's no reason not to wear ear plugs for braked and unbraked rifles.
I'm also man enough to admit that shooting rifles that recoil heavily aren't fun to shoot.

I'd bet you can't shoot 20-30 rounds accurately with that stw and not develop a flinch or sore shoulder. That never happens with a braked rifle or something less heavily recoiling.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Not a fan of recoil at all. Also on a hunting rifle I will not have a brake on it. Only have 2 rifles that have any sort of recoil and the 300Rum has a very nice brake on it. Its just a range toy though

That said, I have a remington 600 350 mag, pushing 250gr hornadys a lil over 2500 fps. Never had a gun that moved that much before. It doesn't fit me, need to grab a 700 or a m77. As the cartridge intrigues me,

I used to hunt with an unbraked 300 rum with 215 bergers over a max load of retumbo. Man was I an idiot…I can do it, but I don’t like it. Now anything over a 6mm/243 is braked.