October Yellowstone trip

NRA4LIFE

WKR
If you can make reservations and get tickets, you may be able to take the tram up to the top of Jackson Hole on the 6th.

We just went in May so no help on some stuff relating to time of year.
My daughter loved Pinky G’s pizza in Jackson hole. Food was great but place was small.
The Bunny Bakery and Restaurant breakfast was outstanding as well.

You may want to check into roadways in the parks. One of the main roads just washed out right after we left and wasn’t passable. Don’t know if it still is. I looked briefly for you but wasn’t able to find anything so maybe it’s back open.
Ohhh, I do love The Bunnery!

TaperPin

WKR
We've hiked to Jenny Lake twice. Probably saw a dozen people total.

Watced Old Faithful with a single digit crowd.

Midweek off peak.
That is a really bare parking lot! Much better experience.

We hit Yellowstone after the flood took out the bridge up north - it was very nice to drive 5 miles without seeing another car - probably the last time it will ever be that empty in July. :)

Agree with the guys that mentioned the NE corner/ Lamar Valley for wildlife viewing. If your daughter is into that sort of thing, you will see wolves/griz abd everthing else up there. When we lived in sw montana we did a Yellowstone trip every spring and fall to avoid the crowds. Don't overlook staying a night in cooke city. It's a really beautiful, unique spot. Maybe a little divey, but much cheaper than west or Jackson. We used to stay at the alpine hotel. Lots of good stuff outside the parks too. Green River lakes north of pinedale is worth the drive.

It's a slack season for Jackson Hole, a room there should be pretty affordable.
Rooms in Jackson are never affordable.
If you have a day in the Jackson area, Granite Hot Springs is a great spot south of town down the Hoback and up granite creek. Great hot spring, and beautiful drive up a dirt road. should be pretty minimal people that time of year. Otherwise, the parks will be far less busy then they are now, and wildlife viewing should be pretty good throughout both parks with a lot less car lines to be dealing with. I would say the hiking in and around GTNP, like jenny lake and such as mentioned, will be much more impressive scenic view wise, than yellowstone stuff.
Correct, GTNP is much more scenic than Yellowstone. Grand Teton is a more hiker friendly park, where Yellowstone you're doing a lot more driving.
Jenny Lake and Phelps Lake/ Death Canyon are definitely worth the hike. Jackson lake is one of the most scenic lakes I've ever seen. Lamar Valley in Yellowstone will be great for wildlife viewing. The Madison River on your way to West Yellowstone has great fishing!

wytx

WKR
Just know it may snow a ton while you are here, plan accordingly. We could have road closures that affect your travel and plans for the park.

wesfromky

WKR
As has been mentioned, you might end up with closed roads, and that could make getting back down to Jackson from the north a bit of a longer drive.

Lots of great wildlife viewing pretty much everywhere in both parks, but Lamar is nice because it is so open, with the road going right through the middle.

Having good glass really makes a difference, esp a good spotting scope and tripod.

wytx

WKR
During hunting season ask for hunters' rates, some have them our rooms for bison were way under $200, a cabin at that.

RR2012

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely a possibility of weather in the park at that time. Was just there 2weeks ago. Jenny Lake is a must see for sure. GTNP gets my vote over the park. Yellowstone is a beautiful place though.

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
I used to spend a lot of time in YNP. Wildlife viewing is fun. It might seem obvious but have a spotting scope, ideally one you can stand behind with a solid stand. You might see a bear or wolf a mile away. Once we watched wolves hunting elk. They just missed one and we watched the alpha howl and get his pack organized again. All this was at long range. So while you might take one spotter for hunting I would take another one and a taller stand for the park.
Remember days get shorter in October and it is a big park with a slow (and enforced) speed limit so plan accordingly. At night buffalo are really hard to see. I was barely able to miss one once.
I think your plan is solid. I don't know what your budget is but I might rent an SUV with 4WD and a bit more space if you can. Worst case scenario you might sleep in the back one night and 4WD and clearance is better if you have snow.
Only caution is don't miss your elk hunt if a storm closes roads.
I think the park has cell service in some areas now but if not the ranger stations and lodges should have wifi.

An aside...

I think the thermal features at Yellowstone are much cooler and more interesting than they sound.

Don't skip the prismatic springs, mud pots, etc. I'd probably plan on more time than you think. Especially with a kid.

Oldrifle

FNG
Keep in mind that it can snow a lot while you're there, so make plans accordingly.

OP
Boog304

Boog304

FNG
Thanks for the intel!

There is a good chance I will be renting an rv instead of hotelling it for our 4 slack days but I’ve got some research yet to do. One thing that could screw the whole plan is get snowed in up north and miss a hunt. But the flexibility is worth some additional work on the front end to hedge my bet.

I’ve already checked in with the all the main fossil folks in Kemmerer and as long as the wx holds out we will likely spend 1/2 a day making small rocks out of big rocks with hopes of finding something cool.

Jenny lake and gtnp is on the list for a full 1.5 day and then will likely be up in ynp for the remainder. Return to red desert on 4th day for the hunt.

This is early October so I’m hopeful the wx holds off but I know first hand how it can be out there in from mid sept to mid oct, albeit we have always hunted San Juan in co

Thanks for the intel

I’ll be continuing to make reservations n plans for our trip for the next 1.5 months n we are both super stoked.

Thanks

FNG
[mention]Boog304 [/mention] just wanted to say good on you for taking care of your daughter and now getting her out for an awesome trip. Tip of the hat to you sir.

jimh406

WKR
As noted, it can snow in early October. Much of Yellowstone is 7000-8000 feet or more. Also, many RV parks are only open a few months a year. I'd consider skipping the RV in favor of a 4WD vehicle and hotels. There are hotels in Gardiner and West Yellowstone. Gardiner has Yellowstone Hotspring and Chicos that both has lodging and a Hotspring. West Yellowstone has the Discovery Center that has Grizzlies and Wolves. The grandkids like visiting Discovery Center a lot. It also has a Imax theatre. You could drive into Yellowstone and then back out to minimize the risk of being caught in the wrong place.

You can see the Hwy options with online maps from Jackson up to West Yellowstone/Gardiner.

For in park RV stays, consider staying at a different campground each night. The advantage is you don't have to backtrack back to the campground and Yellowstone is a big loop. Check the maps, but it's a long way from Jackson to the North part of Yellowstone. There are a lot of things to see.

If you have a smaller RV, it can be parked in a lot of locations although it won't be able park at all tourist parking areas. There are pull offs large enough to eat lunch etc. Of course, that goes out the window with snow.

With an RV, I'd spend the night in the Tetons, then go on Yellowstone. Check in in the afternoon, so it would be easy to see some sights and then checkin in time to go out for the evening for wildlife viewing. Many campgrounds have activities for children's and some have showers.

Be flexible and book where to stay based on what is available. Likewise, decide the order of what to see based on where you are staying. You can book many Yellowstone campgrounds online as well as some Teton campgrounds. There are also RV parks just outside of Gardiner and West Yellowstone entrances.

You can buy an annual pass for all parks.

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
OP is your plan to end up back in SW WY or is the hunt elsewhere.? Like others have said you should expect to encounter some kind of weather so you wouldn't want to risk getting stuck from way up north if the goal is to get back to Rock Springs.

It's gonna be the trip of a lifetime with your kiddo.

kttedford

FNG
I’ve been in June, but would definitely go in the fall next time. Hopefully make a trip back in a few years when my son is a little older.

OP
Boog304

Boog304

FNG
OP is your plan to end up back in SW WY or is the hunt elsewhere.? Like others have said you should expect to encounter some kind of weather so you wouldn't want to risk getting stuck from way up north if the goal is to get back to Rock Springs.

It's gonna be the trip of a lifetime with your kiddo.
We will be hunting out of rock springs and have to be back in town on the 9th.

ya that’s one thing that’s really got me leaning toward an suv and hotelling it. I feel a bit more capable and flexible in an suv.

Looking forward to this trip and I want to get her to see as much of Wyoming as possible and I’m sure we will but I cannot mess around and miss the hunt!

Thanks folks