NW Montana bears

Hey guys. Went out west May of 2015 and had a blast. Hunted mainly North of Yellowstone area. Saw quite a few bears just couldn't close the distance in time. I'm heading back out there In May again but going to drive another 5hrs to be into more bears. I'm a strict bow hunter. I know it's a small chance but I feel like I have a better chance up that way. Looking between Libby and Nixon. My question is how far do I need to go to get away from pressure up there? I hiked in about a mile from my truck last time but still saw a few guys and some hikers and bikers down near Yellowstone. I'm in good shape and plan to hunt 5 straight days out of my pack. Any tips on what to do and what not do would be great! My plan is hike back at least 3-4hrs.

Pressure will be light, especially on week days.

But whether or not you'll be into more bears is debatable.

I wouldn't even be worried about hiking 3-4 hours back. You can find bears up there anywhere. I'd be more concerned with finding good looking country via google earth. I've seen more bears closer to roads up there than away from them. It's your choice and how you want to hunt it though.

Thanks guys for the input! Will be doing most of the hunting thru the week so probably won't run into many people. How's the grizz up there? We only ran into a few near Yellowstone but we're at a distance.

They're definitely up there. Seen lots of tracks but never one in person. Just gotta be bear aware.

Back