Not sure how to feel about Tribal Hunting…

pparris3

FNG
After some personal experiences with people who live in the area, and further research into the matter, I’m not sure how I feel about the rights and regulations of tribal hunting as outlined by the Montana FWP in this FAQ I’ll tag below. I get tribal land rights, but just a bowling alley style shootout of bison and elk without tags and without documentation just because an ancestor may have hunted there several hundred years ago? Meanwhile, we all play the points game and pay hundreds/thousands for tags and a hope at a fair chase harvest instead of hunting whenever, outside of season dates, and all that. What say you all? I’m surprised I haven’t heard or read much outroar about it, honestly. Trying to not sound xenophobic or whatever the word would be, but does not seem right to me.

huntnful

WKR
After some personal experiences with people who live in the area, and further research into the matter, I’m not sure how I feel about the rights and regulations of tribal hunting as outlined by the Montana FWP in this FAQ I’ll tag below. I get tribal land rights, but just a bowling alley style shootout of bison and elk without tags and without documentation just because an ancestor may have hunted there several hundred years ago? Meanwhile, we all play the points game and pay hundreds/thousands for tags and a hope at a fair chase harvest instead of hunting whenever, outside of season dates, and all that. What say you all? I’m surprised I haven’t heard or read much outroar about it, honestly. Trying to not sound xenophobic or whatever the word would be, but does not seem right to me.
I have a hard time envisioning them having an all out shootout and wiping out animals on the landscape they can freely hunt. I have a feeling it's probably decently policed within their groups and ethics are outlined by their own elders. I really have no experience with it, but that's how I view it going down anyways.

OP
pparris3

pparris3

FNG
I have a hard time envisioning them having an all out shootout and wiping out animals on the landscape they can freely hunt. I have a feeling it's probably decently policed within their groups and ethics are outlined by their own elders. I really have no experience with it, but that's how I view it going down anyways.
I hope so. I have huge respect for places like the San Carlos that have managed such an incredible elk herd. Conversely, it makes me cringe to hear tribal members taking game whenever and wherever without regulation, even for food. My sources come from friends and guides who live close to YNP that it’s a little bit more of a free for all

huntnful

WKR
I hope so. I have huge respect for places like the San Carlos that have managed such an incredible elk herd. Conversely, it makes me cringe to hear tribal members taking game whenever and wherever without regulation, even for food. My sources come from friends and guides who live close to YNP that it’s a little bit more of a free for all
It's definitely not ideal for the animal to be able to be hunted with any weapon, at any time. But if they killed them all, there'd be none left on their land, and it is what it is then. And that wouldn't be ideal for them. So there must be some form of internal management I would think.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Agree or not tribal land is also know as tribal nation. They are a sovereign state unto themselves. While they do follow most USA laws, they govern themselves, and can, and do make some of their own laws and rules. I have been on guided hunts on two reservation. While trial members have more leeway for taking game, they still have laws they are required to follow. I have not hunted trbial land in Montana, so I can't speak to how they handle their hunts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duh

TaperPin

WKR
Tribes are required by the federal Fish and Wildlife to make seasons and manage hunting. It’s not uncommon to allow a tribal member to fill tags of others, or to have quite generous numbers of tags, but it’s hardly a free for all.

Some tribes were forced to be stuck with crap resources, others have better hunting than 99% of western states. Some manage it well, some less so, but it’s up to the tribal members to decide how their resources are best used to benefit their membership.

I have native relatives in two western states that have a hunting tradition that goes back 13,000 years in those states. I think it’s great that can continue.

Oregon is a dumpster fire and I can't stand the rights they've been given. They are wiping out herds all over the state.
I'm all for natives doing what they want as long as they use their ancestoral hunting/fishing equipment.

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

magtech

WKR
Theres a clear difference you're not recognizing here. You have natives on the rez and natives that live in public.

Stuff that those rez natives do is straight up do whatever they want, f the world. Some of the non-rez natives are a little more worldy and will try to cover their ass a little more.

Here, we have to follow all kinds of stupid laws for salmon fishing (hook restriction, f that). But my buddys wife can go spear them in the creek at will.

Is it fair, uhh no. Could they change the treaties to make it fair, yup... they just dont care.

They whole thing you missed is the human concept. Fair is an illusion. People will always find a way to do what they want. Just get your dna checked to get your 1% native or whatever it takes to get your native card.

Either you're playing by the rules bitching its not fair or you're finding a way to make the rules work for you. Does that idea suck? yes. Is it the reality we live in? definetly

Poser

WKR
The Southern Ute, as far as I can tell, seem to do a pretty great job of managing game. They employ game wardens. As far as I can tell, their wintering grounds are so rich with game that it is basically grocery shopping during late season, but I'm unsure what % of the rez residents even partake in hunting. Their treaty also gets them any and every tag they want off the rez in the San Jauns: sheep, goat, deer, elk, moose etc. I've only every ran into two Ute who actually take advantage of this. I'm sure there are more out there, but the obesity rate also surely impacts ability to do so. I do know of one younger guy that spends quite a bit of time hunting, tanning his on hides etc and only hunts the rez as a last resort to fill the freezer.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
Im not opposed to tribal land hunting and their regs as it doesn't impact me on the east coast. But it's weird when you see video using modern day equipment. SxS's and rifles.

There's a video where they hunt whales or seals, and they use a boat with an outboard and pot winch while shooting a 30-06. Cant imagine that's how their ancestors did it.

The natives in canada have a free for all on animals and it's sickening. Pick a rez on a map and draw a 100 mile radius and in that radius there are no large game like moose or elk. They over hunt non stop.
Nothing is more disheartening than driving up the day before moose season starts only to see the natives on the way in already have 4 hanging in their crown land camp.

Im not opposed to tribal land hunting and their regs as it doesn't impact me on the east coast. But it's weird when you see video using modern day equipment. SxS's and rifles.

There's a video where they hunt whales or seals, and they use a boat with an outboard and pot winch while shooting a 30-06. Cant imagine that's how their ancestors did it.

This is one of my favorite retardo-takes.

Native Americans, like most any other culture, modified their lives as technologies developed and allowed. I don't know where you draw the line in time, maybe when the treaty was signed, but prior to that they adopted use of the horse and the firearm. By that logic one could say adaptation is a tradition in and of itself.