How to Research Mulies Like Elk - So Much Elk Info/Theory, What About Deer?

As a new big game hunter, but Colorado native, I feel like I've been missing out on the opportunity to hunt my entire life. Growing up in eastern CO, we shot a lot and hunted small game, but never got into big game. I've been wanting to get back into shooting/hunting, and for the last year and a half I've been pretty obsessed with consuming all the info on big game that I can. We've been backpacking and mountaineering for the last 10 or 15 years, so I have a good start on that gear/knowledge, but can't seem to track down the immense amount of deer hunting info as I seem to find for elk.

It seems like there is endless info on how to find elk - what elevation, side of the mountain, how to call, their needs during each season, how to guess their location from topo maps, etc. I realize that is all just theory, and isn't going to be a substitute for time in the field, but makes me feel like I have an idea of what to do when I get out there. I feel like I haven't been able to find nearly as much of that type of info on mulies and the theory to finding them.

All I care about at the moment is filling the freezer and feeding my family high quality meat. I'm sure after my first couple, I'll want to start finding bigger and better deer, but right now I just want to find a good resource for learning as much about hunting them as I feel I've found for elk. With the weather getting better and several 14er trips planned for the summer, I think I'll be in good shape when hunting season rolls around. I know I need to spend some more time with the rifle this year to feel comfortable at 200 or 300 yds. But the portion I feel like I'm missing is the theory on where to find them and how to hunt them.

Thinking I'll buy Robby's book soon, and read as much as I can on here, but wondering if there's a good place to start with solid beginner info? I'm not looking for "best units" or that type of info, as it seems like CO has decent opportunities for them all over the place and I've spent plenty of time looking at the CPW stats, but more info on their behavior, how to locate them, and recommendations on places to continue learning.

Thank you all for the tremendous wealth of knowledge you provide, and I look forward to being on the opposite side of this thread one day!

Robby’s book is great.

Dwight Schuh’s book is a great one as well, those are the only two I have experience with.

I’d love a resource similar to the Elk Collective, but for muleys

I've got a copy of Dwight's book I'll sell if you're interested. They're pretty hard to come by.

I also highly recommend "The Edge" by David Long and Mike Duplan. Robby's book is top of the heap though.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

OP
Jrodanapolis
I've got a copy of Dwight's book I'll sell if you're interested. They're pretty hard to come by.

I also highly recommend "The Edge" by David Long and Mike Duplan. Robby's book is top of the heap though.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Thank you Jake - how much would that copy of Dwight's book cost me?

I'll definitely buy Robby's because I've heard so many great things about it.

Muley hunters arent nearly as loud as elk hunters. They are the quiet ones in the corner of the bar in eastern CO.
Wonder how much of that is because we'll go back year after year and hunt the same exact animal, so if folks pick up on what and where, it might change your spot more quickly, whereas the average elk hunter doesn't do that. Especially not considering what the courses teach with the run-and-gun elk calling style. 🤷‍♂️

huntnful

WKR
Robby Denning’s book. Guy Eastmans book. Dwight Schue’s book. And there’s a really new one called something about “you want to hunt mule deer, now what?”. The eastmans elevated podcast has some amazing mule deer episodes also. And the just MAJOR time in the field.

OP
Jrodanapolis
Muley hunters arent nearly as loud as elk hunters. They are the quiet ones in the corner of the bar in eastern CO.
Burlington, CO by chance? Haha. I grew up there and my grandpa ran the home center. We moved when I was 8 but I love going back to their farm and the slow paced life out that way. I'll find those corner of the bar guys next time we make it out!
In all seriousness, I know what you mean. It seems like the elk guys love show and tell. Which as a new hunter I appreciate the resources, but am looking forward to more time in the field this year with a decent setup to start learning.

KHNC

WKR
Burlington, CO by chance? Haha. I grew up there and my grandpa ran the home center. We moved when I was 8 but I love going back to their farm and the slow paced life out that way. I'll find those corner of the bar guys next time we make it out!
In all seriousness, I know what you mean. It seems like the elk guys love show and tell. Which as a new hunter I appreciate the resources, but am looking forward to more time in the field this year with a decent setup to start learning.
I have only hunted near Elbert CO. Nice area, for hunting. :)

cjdewese

WKR
I am very very new to it all as well. So far I have read a few books but nothing has helped as much as just spending time in the field.

Every time I find them in a new area or see sign I learn something new.

Following along though just to see if I missed any important research I can do outside of that.

RCB

WKR
I am starting to form the opinion that books can teach you very little apart from the basics and some tips. The thing that separates a good hunter from a mediocre hunter isn't that the good hunter has read more books. I think that's true for deer AND elk. But, as I have only been hunting for about 4 years, I'm probably not the best authority on the matter...

That being said, here's a pretty cool paper that I read some years back, comparing the movement patterns of elk to deer in an Oregon forest https://academic.oup.com/jmammal/article/84/3/1076/905056. The plots in there are very cool.

One thing: you mention that "All I care about at the moment is filling the freezer and feeding my family high quality meat." Note that Robbie's book is focused primarily on shooting *big* bucks, and one of the big pieces of advice for that is that you need to be willing to let decent bucks walk to do this. So it might not be quite what you are looking for. Nonetheless I'm sure it wouldn't hurt.

Last edited:
I am starting to form the opinion that books can teach you very little apart from the basics and some tips. The thing that separates a good hunter from a mediocre hunter isn't that the good hunter has read more books. I think that's true for deer AND elk. But, as I have only been hunting for about 4 years, I'm probably not the best authority on the matter...

Very, very true statement. Pretty much anyone can pass a written test after reading a book and doing online reading, but passing practical in-the-field testing or graduating from practical "get 'er done" type of experiences, can only be derived by diving in and getting your hands dirty, and learning as you go.

Rich M

WKR
Nothing helps you put critters down like experience. But if you can't get your feet on the ground, you can learn from books, videos, etc. Then when you put your feet on the ground, the information you learned and your previous experiences will help guide you.

I've seen a bunch of information on hunting mule deer. David Long's book is pretty good.

What I get about the deer and the elk is that they like certain types of areas - that's where you hunt. Finding and killing truly trophy animals is closer to dumb luck for most of us, very few guys can do it at will.

OP
Jrodanapolis
Thank you very much everyone - I greatly appreciate all of the replies and pointing me in the right direction. I'm going to keep listening to podcasts, will pick up a copy of Robby's book and keep in mind that it's geared toward trophies, and will definitely be spending some time in the field. May is pretty full of busy weekends for me, but hoping to get a shed hunting/scouting trip in sometime in June, and planning to spend a good amount of time in the field September and October trying to pick up as much info as I can. Living in the city makes it hard to spend a lot of time in the field, but is a good excuse to escape out of town and my company is moving to a 9/80 work schedule, so with some Fridays off I should be able to get out a bit more than usual.

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
Great info, digging into a not so great NM muley unit. Tons of elk info on even the marginal units but muley talk is limited at best.

You’re in good shape and will do great. So much pen is put to paper on public land elk hunting because it is very much in demand and elk are TOUGH to hunt in over the counter units.

Mulies are fairly predictable, less skidish, and a lot easier to harvest than elk. Look for mixed habitat up higher and go find them.

Don’t shoot a meat buck down low, it will taste like dust and sage. Focus your efforts above 7,500’ and it will be delicious.

Use your fitness to your advantage and look for areas where others won’t go. My typical mulie hunt involves 1,000-1,500’ vertical gain on foot and I have little competition and great high country venison.

Attachments

• 1E584C84-2467-4DE6-B876-313541C40D02.jpeg
    1E584C84-2467-4DE6-B876-313541C40D02.jpeg
    469.9 KB · Views: 14
I think if meat is your early objective, then focus on finding good glassing points and learning to glass effectively. You're going to find deer pretty much wherever you are in Colorado, they exist at every elevation. Learn to use Google Earth to locate vantage points you can see a lot of glassable country from. Get a decent pair of optics (no need to get Swaro's just yet), a tripod, and practice picking apart the country.

Once you've located deer, the challenge is getting close enough to shoot them without spooking them. Learn to mark location of deer in OnX, correlating what you're looking at with your eyes to the map. Drop a pin and make a carful stalk. And it sounds like you have the shooting covered.

Both of the above, glassing and stalking, are learned skills. The books will tell you things, but you'll do the most learning through practice and making mistakes.

Things get a lot harder when you're trying to isolate mature bucks from the general population, that's what the books and podcasts are for.