Not a prepper, but… I was thinking about preparedness.

So leave Commifornia.

I was prepared to move my family to another state if it came down to that.

I was ready to change jobs and even change careers if I had to. There were plenty of options out there . People just weren’t comfortable leaving their bubble.
Wasn't just Cali, we saw much of the same strict BS in large cities all over Texas as well. Cities fined businesses for not enforcing mask mandates just for an example. Most large employers had jab mandates and most people can't just up and leave. We successfully stood our ground and made it through pureblood still, but I know a ton of people who didn't want to get stabbed but caved due to not having options to just up and go. This is Texas, it's up there with the more free states, so I think you may be projecting a bit too much about the options out there for most folks. Congratulations on putting yourself and family in a position to be ready to up and go if need be though, that's a good position to be in.

SonnyDay

WKR
Well the good news is that if SHTF there won't be vaccines for anything! Smallpox. Hepatitis. Chicken Pox. Measles. Influenza. COVID. Mumps. Polio. Rubella... all great fun for the kids.

Back on topic: I have been really impressed with solar and lithium batteries for long term power. I run a chainsaw and pretty much every power tool excluding electrical welders. Also refrigerators and freezers. As most of us know, power hogs like heat and A/C are tough to power from batteries.

Heat's a little easier to come by if there's wood.

On the A/C front... if the heat index is 125 and you have no power you and your family are probably just going to die. Unless you can get underground or into water somehow. Otherwise, evaporative cooling is much less power-hungry... but it only works in low-humidity environments.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I just came into about 7 cords of free firewood from some neighbors taking down trees. I can heat for near free now for probably 3 years. And turned down another 3 because I had no more room. Not prepping per se, but just taking advantage of opportunity.

My little generator can run all night on a quart or so of gas just running the wood stove fan in the winter. Going to save some money for the next few years.

Yoder

WKR
That's a private company doing what it wants.

Free market is great until it's not.
That's a good argument but it's just wrong. Could a company require all women to take birth control? I'll bet that would go over well. Its not about private companies, it's about the government using private companies to enforce their corrupt agendas. They forced us to get vaccinated at the end of 2021. By then, everyone knew the vaccine was bullshit. I knew it was bullshit from the beginning. We made chips for the Federal government. Our CEO was kissing Chuck Schumer's ass for Chips act money and next thing we know we have to get vaccinated. Where I live, my job is pretty specific. To change industries I would have had to take a 50% pay cut. My wife has some serious medical issues so it really wasn't an option. I sold my soul and got vaccinated like a bitch. It's ok. I just don't work as hard. I try to pay them back every day.

Disclaimer here: I’m not a prepper. I’m not trying to get into conspiracy theories or anything. However, I’ve been reading “One Second After”, and thinking about my proximity to DC, and perhaps a little preparedness would go a long ways. My wife is on board after seeing how stupid people got over Covid.

I’m looking for resources and recommendations… not crazy ass forums, but solid resources. Looking for Books, in particular. something we can read when there is no electricity; bushcraft, survival, etc. Also looking for a resource that has a solid list and plan for essential supplies and gear for a long term scenario. Again, trying to avoid the dark corners of the prepping internet. In the end, I want to come out of this with knowledge, supplies, long term food, and a water source to last for a while on our own if it ever came to that. Thanks. Also, if you want to lay awake at night staring at the ceiling, go read that book.
Just make a plan to get to the Greenbrier Hotel in White Sulphur Springs...you will find everything you need in bunker in the basement...;)

If the world as we know it stopped functioning at noon today I figure I could get by about a month.
I dont have any sustainability factored in beyond that. Depending on what time of year it was would determine if relocation would be necessary. Southwest Florida isnt a place I want to be in the summer without power or AC. I need a better plan to get north where I might be able to survive. My feeling is I can only plan so much as I have no idea as to what the world look like. No reason every one cant plan to get by for a week to a month without modern services. During hurricane's here its amazing people are unable to get by a couple days. I know one thing for sure. I wouldn't let anyone know what
i had. And I wonder if someone could survive outside a group or tribe of some sort.

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
We built a remote cabin in the middle of millions of acres of public land. Just for getting out and hunting. Along the way over the last few years the idea of having it as a safe haven seems just as important. We have it pretty much self sustainable now with a sand well started. MSR water purifier for backup. We keep it fairly stocked up. Gasoline, for generators n lights n such. Recently freighted a small refrigerator/ freezer out.
So if stuff happens, that's where we would go. We raise meat rabbits so they would come with. And will have rhubarb plants, moose don't eat them, and currents n such around the cabin.
The thought of having to use the cabin as a safe haven never crossed my mind while spending a lot of time hauling freight. At least I have the memories of when folks didn't have to consider this issue in their lives. And we are as prepared as we can get in my mind.
Gotta find a win somewhere09E7C847-A67E-4254-84C1-CD839F855A40.jpeg

Last edited:

Warmsy

WKR
Digital currency is just about to be forced through.

Texas has legislation they are trying to pass to circumvent this Transactional Gold.com
They worded that so eloquently, without saying anything at all.

MattB

WKR

cnelk

WKR
Ive been up at my Wyo offgrid cabin for the past week, and I havent read all the pages Ive missed in that time, but I have a question...

It was mentioned earlier to have antibiotics and medicine on hand for preparedness.

How do you get a bunch of antibiotics/medicine without going to the Dr and getting a prescription?

Or do you go to your Dr and tell him you want a years supply?

Ive been up at my Wyo offgrid cabin for the past week, and I havent read all the pages Ive missed in that time, but I have a question...

It was mentioned earlier to have antibiotics and medicine on hand for preparedness.

How do you get a bunch of antibiotics/medicine without going to the Dr and getting a prescription?

I was just straightforward with my doctor at my yearly checkup.
I said something along the lines of "hey I'm trying to put a medicine kit together for me and the family to have on hand for a just in case emergency scenario like a natural disaster"

He was cool with it and wrote some prescriptions for a couple different ones for a quantity of 30. Talked to me about the uses and when to use and asked if I had questions and to call or message if I did.

I don't know if every doctor is going to react like this but mine is a pretty level headed reasonable guy and understood what I was trying to do.
Now pain meds might be a different question but antibiotics, burn creams, extra daily meds, allergy meds and epipens, and that kind of stuff I've had no problems being open and honest.

CorbLand

WKR
My theory with end of the world stuff is that part of what makes life nice is modern convivences. If those completely go away, I hear the afterlife is supposed to be pretty nice. I will test that theory.

My wife and I are prepared for 6 months but more on the loss of job side of things.

I have bought way to much stuff at estate sales from people that "just know the world is going to end in my lifetime" to get too worked up about things.

The problem with conspiracy theories is that sometimes they are true.

Last edited:
The federal government regulates commercial banks through the OCC, it does not "fully control" them.
I was tongue in cheek referring to how the gov't always seems to have control over stuff even though it doesn't own/ have jurisdiction over them. Just look at how they had total access to the big guys like Twitter, FB, Google & all their offspring companies. Hell the FBI , DOJ, etc. had office space in their buildings & had weekly & daily meetings where they specifically told them to delete certain accounts, censor posts, bury info etc. Another "conspiracy theory" that was proven to be 100% true.
If you think they're not salivating at the thoughts of a CBDC you're naive. It's the penultimate control mechanism

Several options out there to get this stuff. Jase Medical, Duration Health, Contingency Medical, etc.

MattB

WKR
If you think they're not salivating at the thoughts of a CBDC you're naive. It's the penultimate control mechanism
Not naive, I just understand how the financial systems work. Likely without understanding what you are suggesting, you are essentially implying the government would seek to eliminate commercial banks in the US whose combined market caps are well in excess of $1T and which provides millions of jobs.

Commercial banks need a deposit base to allow them to lend. That lending activity is a huge economic driver. Not to mention the jobs that support that activity. If those deposits were concentrated in a CBDC it would choke off commercial banks’ ability to lend which would be crushing to the economy. That will never happen, despite what doomsayers who assume the worst but have no idea how to deal objectively evaluate the risk might believe.

Last edited: