Non-resident Wyoming Elk 5PP's

LoneStar

Lil-Rokslider
What areas would you start researching for a non-resident with 5 preference points? I would either like to draw in 2015 or 16. I am an archery hunter, in good shape, and normally hunt alone packing in up to 5 miles. I am not interested in a fully guided hunt, but may go with a semi-guided or drop camp. I have experience elk hunting in eastern Oregon, have called in numerous elk, but have never released an arrow. Seeing other hunters does not bother me since I hunt public land, but I prefer not to be run over. I am not looking for a trophy, but would prefer having multiple opportunities at elk. I live in western Oregon and would be driving to Wyoming for the hunt. I would not be able to scout, unless I can plan a camping trip with the family this summer. I also wouldn't be opposed to teaming up with someone else. If you prefer to PM me that is fine, I can also send you my email address or phone number. Thank you!

colonel00

WKR
Wow, I'm in the same boat as you. I must have been typing up my thread just as you posted this one asking basically the same questions. Subscribing to this thread as well.

wyosteve

WKR
I'll give you my .02, but will preface by saying that I haven't followed the non-res. pref. pt. system, so don't know if 5 pts. is a lot or a few. For good bulls, easy access, I'd suggest the Bighorn Mtns. Particularly the west slope. The east slope is good also, but with a bit of pressure the elk move off the mountain onto private land. A second option, but tougher to draw a tag is the Black Hills in eastern Wyo. Good bulls, limited tags so limited pressure and bulls respond to calling pretty well. Third would be the Medicine Bow forest area near the Colo. border. Good numbers of elk, but also good numbers of hunters since it is readily accessible and located close to the Cheyenne, Laramie, Rawlins, Rock Springs population base.

oct71

Lil-Rokslider
Units 95 if you don't mind grizzlies and unit 99 if you'd rather not hunt with grizz. Been taking 5-7 points to draw

Goober

Lil-Rokslider
re-kindling an old thread here. I'm just doing a little research on 95, wondering if the author (Lonestar) ended up in 95? Any words of wisdom? I have 5 points, and will be hunting with an Wyo resident and likely wilderness area. Just trying to figure out if we want 95 or 67 or another unit all together. Thanks in advance