Non resident OTC archery elk is over in Colorado

Chrisamx

FNG
Couldn’t agree more. I’m a fan of idaho and New Mexico!
But what do you tell The guy with 20 points. Heck what do you tell the guy with 10 or even 5?
Again totally in agreement, i don’t think points are the answer. But how do we get rid of them?
There would have to be a Court decision, probably along the lines of Ponzi / Pyramid scheme maybe?

riley0819

FNG
I really hope they apply a little more science to the number of tags, but you will probably be right. A LOT of money coming in from the nonresidents.

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider
I know this thread is getting a tad old but I just came back from a family vacay in Colorado. Wife and kid had never been so we spent a week hiking and seeing Rocky Mountain national park, generally just being tourists. But I’ll say if Colorado is concerned about budget shortfalls then they need to figure out a way to make all those people from Denver driving Subarus pay their fair share.

Every single trailhead we went to was packed with day hikers. It was like a zoo. These yuppie hikers are clearly using the land in a much more intensive way than the OTC bow hunters are and are contributing nothing back to it. Kind of sickening to be honest.

Poser

WKR
I know this thread is getting a tad old but I just came back from a family vacay in Colorado. Wife and kid had never been so we spent a week hiking and seeing Rocky Mountain national park, generally just being tourists. But I’ll say if Colorado is concerned about budget shortfalls then they need to figure out a way to make all those people from Denver driving Subarus pay their fair share.

Every single trailhead we went to was packed with day hikers. It was like a zoo. These yuppie hikers are clearly using the land in a much more intensive way than the OTC bow hunters are and are contributing nothing back to it. Kind of sickening to be honest.

They do have to buy a SWA permit (or have a hunting/fishing license) to use CPW lands, however, CPW can’t charge for access to federal lands. Not much to be done there for state revenue. I do know what you speak of on the front range accessible trailheads though -it’s terrible. Unfortunately, the San Juans are getting the some level of concentrated impact from ORV users, despite the much lower population. Seems unsustainable, but the roads are county roads that cross FS and BLM lands. What can you do? Even if SxSs get banned, which they most certainly will at some point in the near future, the Overland YouTubers, Jeep badge campaign, Toyota rallies, etc have already done the hype damage.

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider
They do have to buy a SWA permit (or have a hunting/fishing license) to use CPW lands, however, CPW can’t charge for access to federal lands. Not much to be done there for state revenue. I do know what you speak of on the front range accessible trailheads though -it’s terrible. Unfortunately, the San Juans are getting the some level of concentrated impact from ORV users, despite the much lower population. Seems unsustainable, but the roads are county roads that cross FS and BLM lands. What can you do? Even if SxSs get banned, which they most certainly will at some point in the near future, the Overland YouTubers, Jeep badge campaign, Toyota rallies, etc have already done the hype damage.
I understand that much of what they are using is federal land but surely Colorado could come up with a creative way to get them to contribute to the cause. A hiking sticker through CPW comes to mind (my wife’s idea actually, she’s normally not opinionated but actually asked if these people were contributing and suggested this) , maybe a tax on “hiking” type items bought in Colorado. I’m not the politician but I’m sure those that are could come up with something. Hopefully someone who goes to the public CPW meetings can bring this up. I’m limited in my ability to attend since I’m a NR

sndmn11

WKR

I just bought one, it's cool. I was born in Wheat Ridge.

#illest
PXL_20240803_202313932.jpg

Poser

WKR
I understand that much of what they are using is federal land but surely Colorado could come up with a creative way to get them to contribute to the cause. A hiking sticker through CPW comes to mind (my wife’s idea actually, she’s normally not opinionated but actually asked if these people were contributing and suggested this) , maybe a tax on “hiking” type items bought in Colorado. I’m not the politician but I’m sure those that are could come up with something. Hopefully someone who goes to the public CPW meetings can bring this up. I’m limited in my ability to attend since I’m a NR

There has been a push for a federal “backpack” tax for years for conservation funding similar to the Pittman Roberts act. The industry pushback is extreme.
You could try it at the state level but it would just push retail across state lines to avoid it.

I don’t disagree, but there’s no easy solution. You do have to purposefully opt out of a state park pass when you renew your vehicle registration.

I’ve pretty much given up on hiking 14ers in Colorado-too many people at every single Mtn every single day of the season. I stick to “off brand” 12s and 13ers, many of which are unnamed. Alpine lakes? Not if it’s within day hiking radius and, if I do, it’s very early in the season when there’s still snow.

taskswap

WKR
This may seem like an odd position, but although I'm going to benefit from this, there's one thing I'm going to miss. I've meet a few absolute tools from other states out in the field but also some genuinely interesting people. Hunting for me has always been an experience, not just a destination, and I had a good season last year with someone from out of state, even if we did come up dry (though we came VERY close). I guess I'm kind of mixed in the end. Not against it, just definitely seeing the other side to the coin...

Hnthrdr

WKR
This may seem like an odd position, but although I'm going to benefit from this, there's one thing I'm going to miss. I've meet a few absolute tools from other states out in the field but also some genuinely interesting people. Hunting for me has always been an experience, not just a destination, and I had a good season last year with someone from out of state, even if we did come up dry (though we came VERY close). I guess I'm kind of mixed in the end. Not against it, just definitely seeing the other side to the coin...
They are banished to purgatory man, they will just have to draw the tag or more likely pick it up as a second choice…