Non-resident Goat units in Montana for 2014

Here are the units that Montana will allow non-residents hunters to apply for Mountain goat in 2014.

Unit NR Quota
142-20 1
150-20 1
312-20 1
313-20 8
314-20 3
316-20 1
320-20 1
323-20 3
324-20 1
325-20 1
329-20 2
361-20 1
362-20 1
393-20 1
460-20 1
519-20 1

without trying to decipher your hunting regs, what does it take for an out-of-towner to do that? thanks in advance,BB

shanevg

WKR
Actually, they aren't requiring tag fees up front this year. It's just $50 to apply and they will charge you for the remaining $750 if you get drawn. That's new this year. I'm surprised they're going that route, curious what their thought process was.

jm1607

WKR
So if you want to apply for Goat you pay $50 + $20 for a bonus point + $10 conservation stamp = $80, is that right?

So... to apply for Goat, Sheep, and Moose it costs $150 + $20 bonus point + $10 conservation stamp = $180?

On a quick side note, does anyone know how much of the Antelope fee they keep? Is it $10?

Last edited:
OP
amy hanneman
You guys are right I made this post before the reg's came out and did not see the new fee schedule. One thing to point out is Montana is now making non-residents pay $20 per species you apply for to get the bonus point. So it will cost a non-resident their conservation license and then $70 per moose, goat, and sheep to apply if you want a bonus point.

jm1607

WKR
You guys are right I made this post before the reg's came out and did not see the new fee schedule. One thing to point out is Montana is now making non-residents pay $20 per species you apply for to get the bonus point. So it will cost a non-resident their conservation license and then $70 per moose, goat, and sheep to apply if you want a bonus point.

So it's $20 each, not $20 total for all 3 like it used to be?

slick

WKR
They did it in hopes more people will apply for those tags. It's a lot easier for a family to dish out a little bit upfront and if successful, then pay for the rest of the tag vs. paying upfront large fees to be returned upon unsuccessful drawing. -If that makes any sense

I'm curious if someone draws the tag, then decides to back out because they can't afford it, or can't afford to put the time in hunting if they can return the tag. Or simply decline it and it goes back into the pool, or how would that work? If someone refuses to pay the rest of the $ for the tag, what happens then??

slim9300

WKR
They did it in hopes more people will apply for those tags. It's a lot easier for a family to dish out a little bit upfront and if successful, then pay for the rest of the tag vs. paying upfront large fees to be returned upon unsuccessful drawing. -If that makes any sense

I'm curious if someone draws the tag, then decides to back out because they can't afford it, or can't afford to put the time in hunting if they can return the tag. Or simply decline it and it goes back into the pool, or how would that work? If someone refuses to pay the rest of the $ for the tag, what happens then??

That blows. :( I only have 6 points but now I'm sure the draw odds will get worse.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I actually think the odds may get alittle better. If the odds are considered vs application cost now it makes it tough to continue to build points

slim9300

WKR
I actually think the odds may get alittle better. If the odds are considered vs application cost now it makes it tough to continue to build points

Maybe. The average non-resident used a cc to float the cost and generally there was some interest involved. But I hope you are right.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you look at your odds with six points? Now consider atlest another ten points and you have equaled your tag price, if it doesn't go up in those ten years. Montana was only attractive to me because of low application cost and relatively low tag fees. I'm out for moose and mt goat and really weighing the worth of my sheep points since I'm along way from maxing the system. Squaring points puts me at real disadvantage even being one point down from the next guy. Someone has to draw I guess but lotto odds make it hard to play

slim9300

WKR
Have you look at your odds with six points? Now consider atlest another ten points and you have equaled your tag price, if it doesn't go up in those ten years. Montana was only attractive to me because of low application cost and relatively low tag fees. I'm out for moose and mt goat and really weighing the worth of my sheep points since I'm along way from maxing the system. Squaring points puts me at real disadvantage even being one point down from the next guy. Someone has to draw I guess but lotto odds make it hard to play

I know. I try not to look at them. I figure it's easier than paying. $9-10k to hunt with an outfitter in BC for goat. Moose is now really the one that I may shit can. I guess we'll see.