Montana 323 Goat Tag

charvey9

WKR
I was able to get really lucky and pull a Montana 323 Mountain Goat tag with just 6 points!

This will be my second mountain goat hunt, as I was lucky enough to take one in British Columbia in 2015. All the details and photos from that hunt can be found in this thread:
First Mountain Goat Hunt

I'm familiar with the Paradise Valley, and have seen goats up hiking near Pine Creek, but have never set foot in the mountains in 323. From the little homework I've been able to do this week I hear the population down there is pretty healthy and I'm excited about the odds for success.

I'm fortunate in that I'll have time for 3-4 multi-day scouting trips this summer (planning the first one for mid July), and the entire season to hunt if needed. I'm planning to be in there before opening day, and do 5-7 day hunts until I can tag out. I got my first goat with a rifle so I'm really going to try hard with the bow this time, but not going to eat my tag to do it.

If anyone has knowledge of 323 they are willing to share, or a suggestion on where to start the scouting, I'm happy to trade intel. I hunt deer, elk, and birds all around the state.

Thanks and happy hunting to everybody this season!

Note that the 323 Goat unit is made up of Deer/Elk unit 313 and parts of 316/317.

Last edited:

MTWop

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of griz throughout the entire unit. I would recommend against hiking in/out in the dark to avoid bumping bears (ask me how I know)