Non lead or lead free slugs for 12 gauge with rifled barrel

I have a chance to hunt a shotgun only area this year. Need to stock up on some sabot rounds and check the zero on my shotgun rig.

I previously used Remington Accutips 3 inchers. They were fine on paper. Good groups. A little tough on the wallet at $15 for 5. I think I ran out and while I am replacing them wanted to swap to a non lead option.

What say Ye?

I used to shoot the 2 3/4" federal barnes expanders. Loved them but like you found with the accutips...EXPENSIVE. Flew like darts (1.5" @ 100yds) and opened like giant deadly copper flowers. Only ever recovered two, but piles of deer went down from them.
Not sure if that helps, but best of luck

OP
Desk Jockey
I used to shoot the 2 3/4" federal barnes expanders. Loved them but like you found with the accutips...EXPENSIVE. Flew like darts (1.5" @ 100yds) and opened like giant deadly copper flowers. Only ever recovered two, but piles of deer went down from them.
Not sure if that helps, but best of luck

Thanks. Looks like they have been replaced by a trophy copper vital shock version. Assuming they fly in my gun that could do the trick.

Too bad, i think i ended up shooting the tipped expanders as well before they went to or changed the name to the current. Never liked them as much as i recall. Something about a skived copper shotglass informing critters of your bad intent. ;)

rayporter

WKR
shotguns and slugs are a love hate relationship. you will probably end up shooting what it wants. for the last 60 years I have lived in a slug zone and I will tell you, if you find something that works buy a bunch -cause they will change it or quit making them. when I had a 12 ga actives were super and buckhammers were unbeatable. both are gone. the hastings were top notch - gone too.

I was shooting 20 ga. accutips 3 years ago and they were great. last year I bought some and started getting big fliers. like 12 inches.
after season [ and hunting with my ML] I messed with accutips again. I found that recoil moves the slug a bunch in the shell. if I push the slug back with a fired brass case [pushing on the tip] it seemed to help. I tried the copper ones and got fliers too.

federals shoot so I quit there.

TauPhi111

WKR
Thanks. Looks like they have been replaced by a trophy copper vital shock version. Assuming they fly in my gun that could do the trick.

I'll second this load. I used to shoot the Barnes expanders when Federal loaded them, but now they load these and they are just as good if not better. I can keep them all in a 6" circle at 100 yards with a red dot out of my rifled 870 barrel, and usually groups are much better than that off the bench, maybe 3 inches.