Non Hunting Brand Pants

n2horns

WKR
I like the look of those 5.11's. Central / southern Arizona I wear double front carhartts. For northern AZ the lightweight pants work well. The 5.11 look to have better cargo pockets than the Kulhs.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have a pair of 5.11s coming my way. Cheaper by far than the Attacks and hoping that the slightly lighter overall weight means they are a bit thinner fabric, but likely just due to the fact that they are lacking thigh zips. Either way much cheaper and looks good. Hoping to take them to Kodiak end of the month if they fit well.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Will do...bringing both my attack pants and the 5.11s so I'll compare which ones I like better and sell the other pair likely.

charvey9

WKR
If you won't be busting brush, UA makes a mesh sweatpant that is superlight, and air truly flows right through them. I bought a couple pair for $40 each and primarily use them for trail running when the temps dip, but have also worn them on some hikes with my pack. They are light, have a pretty heavy duty wasitband that doesn't sag, and fast drying.

I don't think the fabric will hold up to lots of snags, but worth a look for everyday running/hiking in warm weather.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Nope I'm back now...got back a couple days early due to good weather allowing us to hunt just about everyday and bag animals faster than we thought we would. Anyways, 5.11 Traverse pants are far and away my new favorite. I'd sell my attack pants to someone but I burned quite a large hole in them down near the bottom of the cuff on the left leg last May trying to dry them out on a buddy heater while I was wearing them, totally my fault. :D But I'd sell the attacks for $40 anyways. :D

handwerk

WKR
Luke, welcome back...looking forward to a hunt report. With regard to the 5.11's how do you find the fit vs. the attacks?

thanks!

Based on someone's recommendation from this site or perhaps another, my son and I both wore Champion C9 golf pants (Target) when we climbed Mt. Adams last year. These pants are lightweight, 94% polyester/6% spandex and very comfortable, held up great. Was just looking at the Champion website and they have navy/red plaid pants on sale right now for $12.79, I'm very tempted to buy a pair for my son and I for summer backpacking and early season hunting.

n2horns

WKR
Thanks Luke. I ran mu Kuhl renegades on a 2 day 15 mile hike. Went thru grass, brush, cat claw, oaks and pines. Pants held up well. I stopped worrying about gingerly taking care of them and just hiked. A few catches and no rips. The cat claw was bad and pants held up. My legs show the marks.

They are okay in breathing good stretch and fit. Tbin like the attacks. Cargo pockets aren't huge but hold a galaxy s3 and few other small things.

I will buy the 5.11 based on Luke's review. Never can have enough pants.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Running the Renegades as well, but may give the 5.11 a try too.
Thanks Luke. I ran mu Kuhl renegades on a 2 day 15 mile hike. Went thru grass, brush, cat claw, oaks and pines. Pants held up well. I stopped worrying about gingerly taking care of them and just hiked. A few catches and no rips. The cat claw was bad and pants held up. My legs show the marks.

They are okay in breathing good stretch and fit. Tbin like the attacks. Cargo pockets aren't huge but hold a galaxy s3 and few other small things.

I will buy the 5.11 based on Luke's review. Never can have enough pants.

dotman

WKR
Luke, did you size up any on length over your normal inseam? A few reviews say they are a tad short on their length.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Nope...I'm normally a 32X30" in jeans...ordered the same in these pants and they seem more than fine for me. I certainly don't feel as I'm waiting on a flood with some high water pants at all....seems normal fit to me.

I've never had the traverse pants, but I've owned a bunch of 5.11s. I've found out the hard way that they tend to shrink length wise when they are dried in the dryer, resulting in some awesome high waters. I only line dry them now. Just something to think about.