Nomad bikini vs Exo

stephen b

WKR
Based on the pictures in the Exo review thread I'm guessing that pack is going to fit and feel a whole lot like your Eberlestock. Not sure how tall the guy is in the pictures but the load lifters look to be coming straight off the bag to shoulder strap, no angle. The fit and pack look like an Eberlestock with a load shelf and side zipper to me. Between the two I'd go with a Kifaru.

If this is the review you are talking about ( the review posted recently here). What is it you are seeing in this pic to say that the LL are coming off the pack in a straight manner?? Because unless my HS geometry lessens were wrong- that does look to be a significant angle above horizontal.

eltaco

WKR
I've owned the bikini T1 and now have the Exo, but I'm only 6'-1" so I can't comment on how either would do for you at 6'-4".

I will say that at my height, both frames are have more than enough lift with 100lbs loaded up. Both frames carry the weight well and I honestly believe build quality is similar. Whoever said it'll fit similar to an eberlestock clearly hasn't put an Exo on... that comment is way off base.

Unfortunately, nobody here can speak to the extended use durability on the Exo, but the Kifaru certainly has a proven track record. I don't have any initial concerns on the Exo, just can't comment on longevity, good or bad. I know both frames can carry more weight than I am capable of, and at least one of them will survive if thrown off a cliff... if that's important to you.

Overall, I really like the features built into the Exo pack. The fit for me is fantastic, and it's lighter weight than my BT1 was. Granted, the T1 was obviously larger volume, but I figure the load shelf on the Exo takes on the same function without requiring the extra pack space for an elk quarter.

Its really going to come down to frame height, for you. Someone above suggested ordering both to try out, which might not be a bad plan.

I've also tried the paradox and I must say that I agree completely with the above assessment.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
If this is the review you are talking about ( the review posted recently here). What is it you are seeing in this pic to say that the LL are coming off the pack in a straight manner?? Because unless my HS geometry lessens were wrong- that does look to be a significant angle above horizontal.

I agree Stephen...appears to have plenty of lift in this pic to me as well.

Based on the pictures in the Exo review thread I'm guessing that pack is going to fit and feel a whole lot like your Eberlestock. Not sure how tall the guy is in the pictures but the load lifters look to be coming straight off the bag to shoulder strap, no angle. The fit and pack look like an Eberlestock with a load shelf and side zipper to me. Between the two I'd go with a Kifaru.

I do not have my Exo yet but I can bet the statement above couldn't be more wrong. From every single picture I have seen there has been considerable load lift angle. Obviously the Exo is a new product. However from all accounts, reviews, pictures, and videos, they really did their homework on this pack. I believe it will be far above some OVER THE COUNTER PACK.

DaveC

WKR
Carpet testing and e-theorizing are of no use here, which means that very few people have anything of use to say about the Exo.

NVCHUKAR

WKR
The exo fits nothing like an eberlestock, its much closer to a kifaru than an eberle. I would say the upper harness feels like my late season and the belt and pad a a little bit different than a kifaru, but still quality. Steve emailed me saying they are prototyping some stiffer foamed belts that are closer to kifaru so there might be some options down the road.

gelton

WKR
I own a dt1 and love it but if I were buying a new pack today the Exo would be a serious contender in my decision. It looks to be very well thought out pack and design.

From all Steve's testing the belt foam was one of the more important points. He had stated what they settled on was what they thought to be the best. Stating some were too soft and some too hard. Guess if they offer different ones down the road, it will make everyone happy? All about the customer being happy.

DaveC

WKR
dave, thank you for exposing me to such terms. i will find great enjoyment in the use of both from henceforth!

Cheers.

Disagreement is fine all day every day, but the whole I carried some pillows around my brother in laws house in my socks and knew it sucked thing is not cool.

Just to fan the fire, I bought a wraptech belt from Kifaru to test the waters last summer, and it was the most poorly constructed piece of gear I've seen in recent memory. Will it keep me from buying anything else from Kifaru for the foreseeable future? Yep. But given that it's a small sample size, it doesn't give me the right to run my mouth and generalize wildly.

edg1967

WKR
To say that "Brand A" pack (or other gear) is a piece of crap compared to "Brand B" pack because it hasn't been tested is just as ignorant of a statement as saying A is as good or better than B without being tested. We all need and use gear differently, just as packs fit us all differently. They make Chevy, Ford, RAM & Toyota (as well as blondes, brunettes, & redheads) for the same reason…personal choice/preference/needs. I own/have owned a lot of Kifaru products including the Nomad. I sent it back, not because it wasn't a quality product or didn't fit, but because I didn't see it fitting my needs as I had expected. I will wait and see how the Exo I have on order fits my needs, body, etc. and how it performs before rushing to judgement and saying there should only be one pack for everyone and all other manufacturers just may as well give up instead of trying to improve on perfection. I wish Steve nothing but the best on his new business venture and would think that Kifaru would welcome the competition and innovation, and I'll continue to support both.

This isn't a wiener measuring contest…it should be a discussion on attributes of both packs based on FACT rather than supposition. Unfortunately, not all the facts are in on one brand, but it doesn't need to be bashed because of this.

Being a Kifaru user for the past 15 years I look forward to putting the Exo to use. I have yet to find a pack that has comfortably fit my needs except for Kifaru. I have stated several times I would never try anything else again...... Then out comes Exo Mountain. For probably more than one reason, this pack told me I had to try it!!! I am hoping it is ready soon as I am really looking forward to trying it. I have very high expectations for this pack.

OP
J

Jlbmlb4

FNG
Batwing packs don't come with lids and it's not a necessity for the Nomad, but I see your point.

Well...since the guy probably most qualified to answer my original question chose not to, there must not be any significant difference between the 25 and 26 for me. Looks like either one is a good choice for me. Thanks for everyone's input. I need to hurry up and make up my mind so I can everything dialed in by Sept.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Well...since the guy probably most qualified to answer my original question chose not to, there must not be any significant difference between the 25 and 26 for me. Looks like either one is a good choice for me. Thanks for everyone's input. I need to hurry up and make up my mind so I can everything dialed in by Sept.

Yes, at your torso length you'll need all the lift/length you can get.

I apologize for not answering your question the first time....thought everyone else answered well enough already.

Gonna be out of service for a while....

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Cheers.

Disagreement is fine all day every day, but the whole I carried some pillows around my brother in laws house in my socks and knew it sucked thing is not cool.

Just to fan the fire, I bought a wraptech belt from Kifaru to test the waters last summer, and it was the most poorly constructed piece of gear I've seen in recent memory. Will it keep me from buying anything else from Kifaru for the foreseeable future? Yep. But given that it's a small sample size, it doesn't give me the right to run my mouth and generalize wildly.

Dave

Can you PM me or call me to go over why you thought so poorly of the belt you received. Direct feedback is always best to see if things need to be fixed. This isnt the feedback we get on this item at all so wanna chat with you about your experience.

Joe
480-326-9009

Carpet testing and e-theorizing are of no use here, which means that very few people have anything of use to say about the Exo.

I've probably got 60 loaded miles on mine already. Infact I used it to move 17 -80lb quikrete bags about half a mile each, to a part of fence was I rebuilding that I couldn't get the truck too. Do to a major wash out.. held up well, I did cheat and load two the last trip(it was getting a little hot outside)

Its a good pack, period. Price point wise you can't loose. Money back trial period means you can't loose.

As to the elberelstock comments above... someone cant really be serious? I still have an old x2 some where, do I need to take a pic of the two straps next to each other..lol. no comparison.

kifaru makes a great pack no if ands or butts about it, its the swarovski of the pack world..iQuestion that should be asked is if is 300dollars better. That's an individual question. Kind of like swaro vs vortex razor. ..

Exo's been out long enough now that its getting put through the ringer by many.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jlbmlb4

FNG
I went with the bikini/ nomad combo. I know I probably would be happy with the Exo but the longer stays and options on the bikini sold me. Expensive but I know I will be happy. Plus if I decide to sell it the resale on the Kifaru packs is crazy. It's almost like a rental program if you buy one and sell it. Low rent even..lol.

I went with the bikini/ nomad combo. I know I probably would be happy with the Exo but the longer stays and options on the bikini sold me. Expensive but I know I will be happy. Plus if I decide to sell it the resale on the Kifaru packs is crazy. It's almost like a rental program if you buy one and sell it. Low rent even..lol.

You should be very happy with the Bikini Frame.