No More Peak Meals For Me After This Order

cams

Lil-Rokslider
one trip of peak refuel dinners was enough for me to dump all freeze dried meals as an option.

I’m sticking with home cooked dehydrated meals from now on.

I didn't like Heather’s Choice either, except for the packaroons. Not a fan of Peak at all. I might try Adventure Well meals. If the giant freeze dryers I used for taxidermy were still operational I would be pumping out my own freeze dried meals. For now, hunting from a truck camp I use pre cooked frozen meals in ziplock bags and just warm them up in boiling water. If backpacking I’ll just dehydrate my own.

Bama67

Lil-Rokslider
Why do people hate Rinella?
I don't really keep up with him, but he seems about as cool as a paid to hunt millionaire can be I guess.
But I go no one to compare that to really.
Is it because he gets more people outside hunting? serious question

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Why do people hate Rinella?
I don't really keep up with him, but he seems about as cool as a paid to hunt millionaire can be I guess.
But I go no one to compare that to really.
Is it because he gets more people outside hunting? serious question
I'm guessing because he started out as a "common guy" not openly sponsored (because he wasn't) and then with success came the sponsors. Then strategic camera/logo placement.... the flood of "everyone wants to hunt the west" (randy 'I don't make any money' newberg is also to blame)...the sell out to chernin group.

Basically folks figured out he became a wildlife Pimp like all the other TV hosts and felt betrayed.

I could be way off though.

I'm guessing because he started out as a "common guy" not openly sponsored (because he wasn't) and then with success came the sponsors. Then strategic camera/logo placement.... the flood of "everyone wants to hunt the west" (randy 'I don't make any money' newberg is also to blame)...the sell out to chernin group.

Basically folks figured out he became a wildlife Pimp like all the other TV hosts and felt betrayed.

I could be way off though.
I don't dislike him but I did really like him early on when he was "one of us" and then eventually like everyone he kinda cashed in and sold out. Can't blame the guy though but I haven't seen any of his new stuff. Also his related crew really blew up one of our hunting areas, people running around there like cockroaches scattered all over with decoy bags full of what I presume is camera equipment. Maybe they're drug mules.

HoneyDew

WKR
Imagine being angry at someone for making a good living doing what they love. I can’t think of anything more American than turning a passion into a successful business.

I won't buy this stuff either. But, only because all their meals have soy in them. And soy protein or soy oil makes me sick.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
I don't dislike him but I did really like him early on when he was "one of us" and then eventually like everyone he kinda cashed in and sold out. Can't blame the guy though but I haven't seen any of his new stuff. Also his related crew really blew up one of our hunting areas, people running around there like cockroaches scattered all over with decoy bags full of what I presume is camera equipment. Maybe they're drug mules.
I don't hate the guy either, I was just trying to explain why some people seem to feel resentment towards him and the brand.

colic

FNG
All these prepacked meals are crap. They don't give you the real fuel you need, no matter what they claim. And they give me terrible gas and bloat. And they're CRAZY expensive. I'm not paying $16+ for a gut bomb, sorry.

Keep it simple and you don't even have to put work into making awesome meals that your body actually wants without even having to do anything but go to walmart. All it takes is being ok with the same meal over and over, really. We just spice each meal differently. Honestly if you're putting in miles like we are, the same meal tastes wonderful every night cause you're absolutely starving and exhausted.

Go to the noodle aisle and get some rotini noodles. Wheat, lentil, whatever floats your boat. We usually get an assortment but the lentil ones are kinda mealy and we have tended to stay away from those.
Go to the tuna isle and get the flat, individually wrapped tuna packs. They got all kinda flavors but the one with oil (NOT water) will give you most calories. The only decent flavor is thai chili, fyi.
Go to the vegetable isle and get some onions, broccli, whatever you want that'll keep decent.
Go to the seasoning isle and pick whatever you want, get 2-4 different options to keep it fresh.
Get butter.

Take two, three, four zip lock bags, however many you need for that night. Put noodles, chopped up veg, butter and a different seasoning in each bag enough for one meal. Now take the same number of tuna packs with you. Get to campsite, put water in pot, put noodle mixture in pot, when noodles are tender put tuna in.

Butter is highly stable at room temp, don't worry. The vegetables will last a long time in your pack. Probably not the best during early season when it's hot but late september they do just fine. We used to not even include them in the meal which is also acceptable but fresh veg is a beautiful thing way better than dehydrated.

We've tried alot and this is the cheapest, least effort needed, super light weight and packable, highly nutritious meal we've come up with and I don't see ever changing it honestly. I don't have gut bloat and pain anymore (you guys know that great feeling when that belt is squeezing your guts that are being ripped to shreds by mountain house) and I have good energy.

If you want to change up the meat, use meat sticks in lieu of a tuna pack.