No Big Game Tags Drawn, is this normal?

Hello, I am somewhat of an "adult-onset" hunter and last year was the first year I hunted any big game.

For this year, I applied for a lot of tags (Deer, antelope, bear, and turkey) in my home state of Nevada, both any legal weapon and where possible, muzzleloader, and I also applied for antelope tags in Wyoming, both buck and doe.

I put hours of research into which units to apply for, since both states allow more than just a 1st choice, I picked a highly desirable unit as my first choice (in terms of average number of points people who drew tags for that unit last year had), but was careful to pick some units that seemed more realistic as my alternate choices.

I knew my chances of drawing a tag in any one unit for any particular species were obviously below 100%, but with the numerous units and species I applied for, I had been optimistic I would get at least one tag for something somewhere.

But Wyoming antelope draw results came out today..... and I was totally unsuccessful in both state's draws.

Is this normal these days to be unable to hunt a deer or any other big game animal annually?

Of course there is fishing and some small game that doesn't require tags, but before I started to get into hunting, I was under the impression a big game hunter would be able to get a deer or other big game animal at least once a year, and keep red meat in the freezer that way.

Is that notion totally outdated now the human population has grown a lot and wildlife habitat decreased?

Or did I just get really unlucky this year?

Both of those states require a knowledge of how preference/bonus points work. If you applied for units that typically need more points than you had (I’m guessing were 0 or 1), your chance of drawing a tag were almost nil, especially if they were sought after hunts. Read up on the point systems and be ready next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OXN939

WKR
Is this normal these days to be unable to hunt a deer or any other big game animal annually?

Yes. Lot of "instagram vs. reality" in the world of western hunting these days. The dudes you see drawing tags consistently are either A) loaded, or B) at the point of executing a plan they've been actively cultivating for five to ten years

elkguide

WKR
Welcome to my world. Western states hunting has become a premium win when you draw. Look to midwest or southern states for whitetail for over the counter or at least a better chance to draw and keep on supporting the F&G agencies and who knows when lightning will strike.

WKR

WKR
What part of Nevada? if close to CA you can get 2 over the counter deer tags and 1 bear tag and while CA doesn't have the genetics or buck densities that WY, and NV has, there is still some decent hunting.

Yes it is very normal to strike out on the draws.

There is a name for it,
Its called Depression

MTGunner

Lil-Rokslider
Hello, I am somewhat of an "adult-onset" hunter and last year was the first year I hunted any big game.

For this year, I applied for a lot of tags (Deer, antelope, bear, and turkey) in my home state of Nevada, both any legal weapon and where possible, muzzleloader, and I also applied for antelope tags in Wyoming, both buck and doe.

I put hours of research into which units to apply for, since both states allow more than just a 1st choice, I picked a highly desirable unit as my first choice (in terms of average number of points people who drew tags for that unit last year had), but was careful to pick some units that seemed more realistic as my alternate choices.

I knew my chances of drawing a tag in any one unit for any particular species were obviously below 100%, but with the numerous units and species I applied for, I had been optimistic I would get at least one tag for something somewhere.

But Wyoming antelope draw results came out today..... and I was totally unsuccessful in both state's draws.

Of course there is fishing and some small game that doesn't require tags, but before I started to get into hunting, I was under the impression a big game hunter would be able to get a deer or other big game animal at least once a year, and keep red meat in the freezer that way.

Is that notion totally outdated now the human population has grown a lot and wildlife habitat decreased?

Or did I just get really unlucky this year?
Welcome to my world. This has happened many times throughout my hunting career. Not unusual as there are many applying. Don’t get discouraged. MTG

robtattoo

WKR
Nope. There's almost literally every state, east of the Mississippi to fill your freezer with Whitetail.

I don't know why hunting only seems to be a one way migration from east to west. There is a BUTT load of fantastic public land, OTC options in the Midwest, South & Southeast. Almost all of it is OTC for non residents & chances are, it's barely more expensive than most westerners are paying for resident tags. You may not be able to put 400lb of elk in the freezer, but in a decent week of TN whitetail, I can still get 400lb of venison.

406life

Lil-Rokslider
Answering your title question, no it's not normal. Certainly apps and applicants are up and you need to know each states system to be successful. But there are many opportunities to hunt each fall, particularly if you're ok with cows and does. Your budget and schedule will determine if you can apply more, but more apps equals more chances. Then there's the other side of the country with near unlimited deer. And pigs, if you consider them big game. Or look internationally, lots going on there too.

I've had at least one western tag as a NR every year since 2015. I tend to apply such that I am taking some long shots but also enough chances at higher odds tags that it would be a very low probability of striking out.

def90

WKR
Your second choice only comes in to play if that unit didn't draw out with first choice picks. Basically they go through the first round drawing based on everones forst options and if for some reason they didn't get enough first choice options to fill the tags then the draw starts all over again for the people that chose it as a second option to fill out the remaining tags.

They dont look at your application and say hey his first option is drawn out but there are still tags available for his second option

Did you do your research as to how these units you applied for draw out?

Dirtbag

WKR
Probably need to lower your standards, with that said it’s getting harder and harder to draw tags. I had 17 applications out across 7 states with a mixture of easier to draw to hard to draw, and drew two tags.

Last edited:

Macabes

FNG
We didn’t draw our CO elk tag this yr 14 points…last yr guys drew it with 11 points. Sucks man!