New rules on posting spots? Really Rokslide?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
L

Lil-Rokslider656

Lil-Rokslider
Just an FYI google searches bring up hunting forums quite often the top result. So when you type elk hunting in Idaho unit Xx now everyone and their sister’s cousin can see that thread, spot burning is 1000 percent real and can be slowed or stopped by folks who run this page and disallow specific info in specific units being blasted all over the webs… sound like you need to be creative and ask better questions.
Units are spots. Got it.

WTFJohn

WKR
If it can be a whole unint why not a region. What about a state? Where do we stop. Is it an acres thing?
You can’t ask for “spot” specific advice if you’re a fng ( less than 100 comments on other posts)

Case and point on the stupidity of the rule: in a few hours I’ll have enough comments to be able to ask about spots again.

If it should be banned; then just ban it. I’ll probably still complain, but less so because at least it will take a more definitive stance. Not some arbitrary 1/2 hearted goal post.

I think when you hit 100 posts people will be chomping at the bit to give you info, your positive can-do attitude in the face of adversity and total lack of shame in begging will get you far.

Why not add your state to your profile?

It's obvious from your posts that western hunting is a new thing to you and that you view the mountains of the west as your playground. Maybe in a few years when you will see the bigger picture, and you'll understand why the rules are the way they are.

Animal densities in the west are much lower than the east, and it literally only takes one extra person in your area doing things incorrectly to blow out that spot. Or one 'innocent' comment from someone online. Or one TV show/podcast/influencer giving a little too much info.

Agreed that it came across as winny. But because it comes from a place of something I care about. But “butthurt” is not a good word. Just calling out that this seems dumb. So once i get to 100 comments this just goes away? So should fng’s just start by bumping 100 posts?

I’m assuming the idea is that by the time you get to 100 posts, you’ve learned what is and isn’t a potential spot burn. Take you for example, you’ve learned a lot about what kind of information is likely to get your post deleted just in the last day- by the time you hit 100 posts you’ll have a solid grasp on what this forum’s “culture” is and what is and isn’t appropriate in the eyes of other users.

Regarding why people are so up tight about even general areas: I have a hunting spot that would get ruined if even 5 other people knew about it. It’s in an OTC unit that flies under the radar because it has terrible harvest statistics. But if someone mentioned even the county it was in as a good spot, anyone interested would be drawn to the exact drainage I hunt. Even someone mentioning the wrong detail about the next unit over (a limited draw unit) could bring people into “my” drainage.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I’m assuming the idea is that by the time you get to 100 posts, you’ve learned what is and isn’t a potential spot burn. Take you for example, you’ve learned a lot about what kind of information is likely to get your post deleted just in the last day- by the time you hit 100 posts you’ll have a solid grasp on what this forum’s “culture” is and what is and isn’t appropriate in the eyes of other users.

Regarding why people are so up right about even general areas: I have a hunting spot that would get ruined if even 5 other people knew about it. It’s in an OTC unit that flies under the radar because it has terrible harvest statistics. But if someone mentioned even the county it was in as a good spot, anyone interested would be drawn to the exact drainage I hunt. Even someone mentioning the wrong detail about the next unit over (a limited draw unit) could bring people into “my” drainage.
You have said too much… about to do a statistics deep dive, see you in Sept ;)

Robobiss

Lil-Rokslider
+1 on the too many after work!

Agreed that it came across as winny. But because it comes from a place of something I care about. But “butthurt” is not a good word. Just calling out that this seems dumb. So once i get to 100 comments this just goes away? So should fng’s just start by bumping 100 posts?

Just seems so short sighted to me. Can we not complain about the rules? Are we not allowed to have opinions?
To be fair, I used the word “butthurt” because the post that I was replying to used the word “butthurt” in saying that the people replying negatively to you were “butthurt”. All I was saying is, your OP was negative about the site on multiple accounts, and everyone else followed suit with negativity.

You didn’t have to be negative in your OP, you chose to be negative. You can ask any question you want in the world about anything you want if you ask it the right way. It just so happens you started the question and discussion with negativity and it also just so happens that you are the minority here in regards to your thoughts on this specific matter.

We can all disagree, that’s fine. You had a crappy attitude about it (and you admitted it, I’m not giving you more crap here, just stating facts) so people responded with negativity. We can all continue to discuss the matter, but don’t be surprised that most people *still* disagree with you because again, you’re the minority in your thinking here (not that there’s anything inherently wrong with thinking differently).

All that the user (what are they called? Tags?) do is paint a picture of how active and (generally) how much you contribute on the forums. Whether you tell great stories, ask a lot of questions, post funny memes, or share some really great and sometimes cutting edge technical info like some posters (and thank god for them) do.

It isn’t a testament to anyone’s manhood, or even a gauge of what their actual knowledge on such subjects may be. It just shows how much you contribute. You do not and have not contributed a lot over the years, and that’s all there is to it. It’s nothing to be worried about or ashamed of.

If you care about your tag (is it a tag??) change it. Ask questions, give advice, and share your experiences. You *must* know or have experienced something the rest of us don’t, you *must* have a good story or two with pictures. There are photo threads all the time, they are constantly ongoing. Anybody that is just mindlessly bumping posts for internet cred to be a lil-rokslider (which to be fair is like being a king, but better /s) to feel better about themselves or to be taken more seriously is a clown will very quickly be found out to be a clown on here. If you care about the tag, contribute, if you don’t care, don’t. That said, might be more likely to give you a hand and some special advice if they see your name often giving OTHERS advice and see that you contribute to the knowledge base.

This is a great site, with a great group of people with a gigantic knowledge base. With literally endless information in regards to hunting, reloading, shooting, long range shooting, backpacking, terminal ballistics… you name it. You can learn almost anything you could ever dream of in regards to hunting and the outdoors here… Ask a question about a piece of gear and almost without fail within the hour there will be 10 people giving you the low-down on it.

Just don’t ask unit specific stuff, don’t talk about unit specific stuff, and don’t swear too much (I’ve had a talking to about this from a mod myself) and everything will be kosher.

Megalodon

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a free speech guy.

I support others posting their opinions.

But you want hand outs? You want to benefit off the knowledge and hard work others have put in? You think the owners of Rokslide shouldn't be able to make their own rules and control what is shown on their own site?

Weird to be pro-free speech, but basically anti-property rights.

OP
L

Lil-Rokslider656

Lil-Rokslider
If you need that much help hunting, maybe stick to whitetails where your dad can walk you to the stand.

And if you're an adult, grow up and do things yourself. (Isn't that what DIY means?)

Oh, and as a Colorado resident...We are working on lowering the number of tags available to you, and we are appreciative of places like Rokslide locking down those conversations because they actually have & do ruin hunting spots.

NR entitlement is always good for a laugh.
Ad a Colorado resident you also voted to bring back wolves. Good luck with that.

I’m not going to say that less tags is a bad thing. everybody seems to like Les tags when it’s for everybody “else”

OP
L

Lil-Rokslider656

Lil-Rokslider
But you want hand outs? You want to benefit off the knowledge and hard work others have put in? You think the owners of Rokslide shouldn't be able to make their own rules and control what is shown on their own site?

Weird to be pro-free speech, but basically anti-property rights.
Anti-property rights? I support property rights. I’m not hating on anyone successful enough to own their own property. But existing. public lands is a different story.

Handouts? I don’t want to hand out. If it were easy, I bet 90% of us wouldn’t do it, myself included.

But I would not call it a handout to try to learn from success or failure of others that will shape how I go about putting in the work.

Muley Tag

FNG
You guys crack me up…..’spot burning’……you know all you have to do is not provide any info, correct? Problem solved. We don’t need heavy handed moderation to tell us what’s good. Sheep.

WTFJohn

WKR
Ad a Colorado resident you also voted to bring back wolves. Good luck with that.

I’m not going to say that less tags is a bad thing. everybody seems to like Les tags when it’s for everybody “else”

Go ahead and tell me what I need to know about wolves & their reintroduction. I'm sorry we missed meeting each other at the last Wildlife Commission meeting; I spoke did you?

And I'd like you to head to an area of CO with depredations and tell everyone you meet that "they" voted for it. It should go about as well as your begging here.

E39BC813-95E7-49A2-A5F8-C402D5CC8F24_1_105_c.jpeg

hibernation

Lil-Rokslider
I drew a tag; askes for advice ....
Without unit specific info it’s all but useless.
Honest question here. What information should we really be sharing online, to everyone? Should there be a playbook for each unit that anyone can see, like a hiking or climbing guidebook but for hunting spots: these are the access points, here's a list of bedding/feeding areas, glass from here, etc. I get that it would save you time if you're coming from out of state and might never hunt the unit again, but putting in this kind of work is just part of hunting to me.

The only things I can think of that I'd be okay sharing with strangers about my hunting spots are all pretty readily available from a map. Main roads, trailheads, that kind of thing.

I'm fine sharing some hunt strategies, but those aren't really unit specific. They might be regional or terrain specific, but that's not the same.

87TT

WKR
Yep, nothing like spending days and years finding good areas for some yahoo finding it “E scouting” or googling it and showing up without putting in the time and “earning it”. That’s part of the attraction of hunting for some of us. I have enough trouble with logging, fires etc. as it is without adding to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.