New rules on posting spots? Really Rokslide?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you. I appreciate your stance.

Especially since you’re from Texas. I’m assuming if you do any elk hunting; it would be out of state. Many people in the same boat, traveling to enjoy the opportunity. And is asking for help / advice or providing support such a bad thing? I think not.

Some additional info on your suggestion. The tag I drew is unit specific. And, many tags are these days. But Unit was deemed a “spot” and against the rules. I can't really zoom out. For example if I were to ask about western idaho; there is too much variation between units and terrain. For example i’ve hunted an otc unit bordering this unit. Im familiar with the country, but don’t know about factors like season timing, pressure, etc. and if I cant ask about a unit, i almost certainly cannot ask about a particular wilderness or mt range in that unit.

And not necessarily related to your comment, but My point kinda being; whats a spot? Can’t talk about specific units or tags. Why not call whole states a “spot”.
Why not ban hunting pictures? After all it increases interest in hunting and leads to more pressure. I just think this kind of action is more harmful to us as hunters in the long run.

I get what you’re saying but you have to make an effort to be vague. For yourself and for others to follow. There are guides on the Texas coast that post pics of fish and blur out the back ground just so people can’t find what area of a specific bay they are in. It’s that serious.

I’ll give you an example of my current situation.

I’m headed to Alaska to hunt moose in September. I’ve never been in this area. Hell, I’ve never hunted moose and I’m taking my wife with me to hunt as well that’s 5 months pregnant. This area was shared to me bc the returning clients didn’t book for this year but are booked for next year.

Anyone can hunt it. It’s public. It’s gonna cost you though bc the transport cost isn’t cheap. Then add in the raft rental cost. Due to those details and cost this is a very overlooked area. And it takes physical work to get to the starting part. There are some other details about this otc unit that I’m gonna leave out bc a smart person could easily narrow down where I’m going.

Main reasons I’m not asking anyone anything specific about the area. Like I’m not even talking about what region of the state it’s in…

1). Those guys that have hunted the last 8 years or so are coming back. They have spent a lot of money time and effort learning this area. And they are successful. They killed two bulls in the mid 60’s last year and a STUD 3 years ago. And they are shooting moose on the river and not packing meat hardly any distance. The very last thing I’d want to do is blow up an area for those two older guys. In fact, I kind of feel guilty sliding into this area as is and they aren’t even going to be there.

2). Next year may be their last year…. Someone is going to take this spot over and continue what they are doing. And this is a spot that gets extremely low pressure. Per wildlife biologist “I don’t think it gets hunted on a yearly basis”. Soooooo someone is going to take it over and enjoy killing moose every year.

Any guesses who that someone might be??? Prolly the guy that is keeping his lips zipped tight! This guy!!!

3). Cost. Yeah, the transport ain’t cheap. Add in the raft and now it’s more expensive. But in compassion I’m taking my wife and for both of us plus airfare to Alaska, plus license, plus shipping meat home is less expensive than what guys are paying per person to hunt similar areas on drop hints or float hunts. That’s just their transport service. And they are working 5x harder to kill the same quality bulls.

4. Extremely amazing fishing. It was shared to me that the fishing here is better than the Kenia River. I’ve fished that river. I don’t know it was even possible to get any better!

Again, I’m on your side. I get it. It can be frustrating trying to get info. But sometimes it’s just as fun to show up and just hunt. Figure it out when you get there! Make it part of the challenge. I can assure you that almost every time any info from last year is moot the following year.

Well….
Unless you’re moose hunting a specific spot in Alaska!

Again, best of luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalki

Last edited:

Drenalin

WKR
I also don’t know the rules like the back of my hand, but I’m assuming there’s a rule against posting a personal picture of somebody in this manner.
I think you're right. But forum rules are for "liberals" and "communists" (your words) are they not? Maybe we should start a new thread complaining about that rule? There's a line, things on one side of it should not be shared and things on the other side are okay to share. This forum, which values hunting and in many ways the challenges it can present, has placed info about specific hunting spots, units, areas, etc on the same side of the line as your SM or other personal info. That stuff may already exist on the internet, but it doesn't belong here.

OP
L

Lil-Rokslider656

Lil-Rokslider
So what? If they don’t come back and they never got info on an open board, what’s the harm? You fit right in on the democratic over regulated agenda. Follow the rest of the flock
This!
If nobody wants to comment, they don’t have to. But if somebody wants to, that’s their choice.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I’ll get plenty of time with boots on the ground and glass on the mountains. But always helpful to learn a bit about whats going to happen during season. With only being able to hunt this tag 1 of 10ish years it’s hard to get boots during season.
Wonder why you can only hunt it every ten years…. Huh? That’s a real head scratcher…. If you are a good hunter then quit begging for someone else to hand hold you, or if you want to talk tactics or habitat start there, right now you are sounds more pathetic and entitled

Broomd

WKR
It’s one of the best rules that’s enforced here! The information is out there forever. You then get people that aren’t even members of the forum that find the thread via Google, get the information and never contribute. You also get everyone’s favorite, the guy with only a couple of posts that asks unit specific info and then never shows back up. I always love when a FNG bumps up a 2 or 3 year old thread from a guy digging for info asking “how’d your hunt go” and the guy who started the original thread hasn’t been back on the forum since he created the thread.

Thanks for the rant, I’m sure other forums will welcome you with open arms
This X 10. Gave up helping new guys with OIL tags, (I've drawn them all here in ID.)
Once I learned that they post once for their hunt and never again, said t.h.w.t. .....

OP
L

Lil-Rokslider656

Lil-Rokslider
The difference is that a PM is not publicly posted for the world to see. I have PM'd guys looking for intel but I will only do so for people that have been around a while, I've PM'd with them previously, or have made contributions to the forum (basically, they get it). If a see a post about a unit I've been in from some dude with 4 posts, chances are I'm not going to offer up any intel (for the reasons you cited).
Again, addressed this.

Pms can be great for sharing specific info. But why not ban that. To most peoples point here the spot sharing is the root of all evil.

But even a post saying “pm sent” can be helpful. Lets other people know you added something of value. Keeps posts fresh; etc.

Again its not like i’m looking for “go here” stuff. Super helpful when guys tell me things like unit expiration; like lots of deer hunters will be in the area at the same time. Thats super helpful info. Other info about recreation use in the area is all good stuff.

This!
If nobody wants to comment, they don’t have to. But if somebody wants to, that’s their choice.
You’ve gotta realize that nobody has a good spot all to themselves. It’s also somebody else’s spot in a different season or every few years when they can get their family together. All it takes is one generous idiot to stumble on a place and not care about blowing it up because they’ll never go back. Don’t be that guy.

Geewhiz

WKR
This fall I plan to hunt an area that I haven't spent much time in. I've already made 2 trips and about to make another. So far I'm out 30 hrs of highway time, $750 or so in fuel, 20 miles hiked, 3 nights under a tarp, many hours glassing etc. I have a wife and 3 kids one of which is a newborn. I have very limited pto and very limited expendable cash. After investing this much time/money/effort to give myself a bit of an edge up over other hunters, why would I blast this information all over the world wide web for everyone to see?

Why don't you exert a little effort to obtain some intel yourself?

Last edited:
OP
L

Lil-Rokslider656

Lil-Rokslider
I apologize if yiu thinks it’s too far, but want to point out that if you put information on the web it’s available for everyone and out there forever whether it’s unit info or a pic on your social media.

The tone of your posts in this discussion didn’t seem to indicate that you cared much about what the board rules are or the feedback from members so I assumed you wouldn’t care about posting a pic from your publicly available Instagram either.

Anyway, I’ll edit my post since I believe you a starting to grasp the concept.
I invite you to keep it up, i bet it broke a rule and would be taken down anyhow.

Obviously my user name is my name. Matches my IG handle and is all public. Anyone can go there.

But there is a line you cross when you take from that to post it here asking for other to gang up and make fun of me.

I’ve got thick skin, not a complaint. But a straight call out.

You think i’m starting to learn? My opinion stands, but i’m also (tying to) playing by the rules

I think you did the edit cause you recognized you’re in the wrong.

#fogelmanto100

WTFJohn

WKR
Again, addressed this.

Pms can be great for sharing specific info. But why not ban that. To most peoples point here the spot sharing is the root of all evil.

But even a post saying “pm sent” can be helpful. Lets other people know you added something of value. Keeps posts fresh; etc.

Again its not like i’m looking for “go here” stuff. Super helpful when guys tell me things like unit expiration; like lots of deer hunters will be in the area at the same time. Thats super helpful info. Other info about recreation use in the area is all good stuff.

You're hopeless.

I've met up and hunted with Roksliders in the past, I've taken them into areas I know hold lots of elk, and I have two good friends from here that hunt our ranch yearly. This place is not the problem, people like you are.

You're wanting all the info that will let you pick the best spots to go, without learning for yourself. There are places I hunt regularly as a resident that NR will take multiple points to draw, people like you burning spots are literally degrading the hunting experience for all even if you won't see it due to the infrequency of returning.

Someone can be on the best glassing knob in the world and not see anything if their head is up their own ass.

OP
L

Lil-Rokslider656

Lil-Rokslider
You’ve gotta realize that nobody has a good spot all to themselves. It’s also somebody else’s spot in a different season or every few years when they can get their family together. All it takes is one generous idiot to stumble on a place and not care about blowing it up because they’ll never go back. Don’t be that guy.
Yep. And i’m sure nobody has ever ever ever discovered somebodys super top secret spot on their own.

100% of the time somebody told somebody about it.

Sevens

WKR
People (especially people hunting out of state) search the internet far and wide for this stuff. I bet it is to the point that I could post a picture with 5-6 stud bulls or bucks in a couple different strategic places on the internet, name drop a national forest, and make a legitimate impact to what units people are applying for.
These seems like a great way to ease up pressure on a unit you want to draw. Disinformation.

OP
L

Lil-Rokslider656

Lil-Rokslider
You're hopeless.

I've met up and hunted with Roksliders in the past, I've taken them into areas I know hold lots of elk, and I have two good friends from here that hunt our ranch yearly. This place is not the problem, people like you are.

You're wanting all the info that will let you pick the best spots to go, without learning for yourself. There are places I hunt regularly as a resident that NR will take multiple points to draw, people like you burning spots are literally degrading the hunting experience for all even if you won't see it due to the infrequency of returning.

Someone can be on the best glassing knob in the world and not see anything if their head is up their own ass.

bro I just think the rule is silly. Like ban it altogether or don’t.

But while we’re here. You’re happy to show others spots with elk? And think me asking for general unit advice is the problem?

I’ve just got a different personality type and different perspective.

Exactly. Like renting a bike. It’s your bike to use but it’s shared with everyone. Can’t just share it because someone asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.