New Ruger American Gen II

zdc1775

FNG
Mine was stiff but we were able to get it off with a person holding the rifle and a person using a wrench. Took it off before any carbon fouling fwiw.

May require a little heat to release perhaps? I don't recall any thread locker.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

I was thinking it might be thread locker so heat was definitely part of the plan once the new barrel vise makes it in, but I have never seen thread locker on a muzzle brake from the factory before so wanted to ask.

I've got a gen II 5.56 ranch, brake was a total pain to remove, required a wrench, and that thin cerekote took an impact.

Hadn't thought of this before but now I'm starting to wonder if the cerakote reduced the friction and caused my barrel vise to not get a good grip, hopefully I can manage to not damage it too badly.

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
What is your scope set up?
March SFP Moa 1.5-15x42, illuminated
MTR-5
23oz

Was the factory muzzle brake on yours difficult to remove?

Asking because when I went to remove the one on the 223 that I recently picked up and the barrel actually stated to turn in my homemade barrel vise before it came loose, which made me decided to call it quits for the night and to order a real barrel vise the next day before I tried it again.

I tried at first holding the rifle and turning with a wrench. After that didn’t work I got the heaviest crescent wrench I could find that still fit the wrench flats on the brake. Held the rifle with my left hand and with the crescent wrench suspended I hit it with a weighted polymer dead blow hammer. Broke loose right away and I didn’t notice any thread locker from the factory on mine.

wesfromky

WKR
Both of my brakes were a bit tight, but an AR wrench fits the flats and was able to get them loose without a vice.

Anybody? I've got a gen II .204 I'd love a flush mag

Not a flush mag, but I modified the standard 5-round Grendel mag on my Gen 1 to this. A lot better than what it used to be.IMG_3402.jpg

Cut it off, modified the follower, clipped the spring inside and then tack-welded the bottom plate back on.

Rolltide

FNG
FWIW, I've complained that I couldn't find a factory load to produce anything smaller than a 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" group. I've tried everything from Hornady 73gr ELDM and 75rg BTHP to 77gr OTM from Fiochi, AAC, etc...

I even tried the 77gr TMKs from AAC, but the results were identical.

Today, I decided to see what the Black Hills 77gr TMKs would do.

To my surprise, it produced groups that average just over 3/4".

I think that's as good as the little rifle can do and I'm happy with it.

I'm just passing this along in case anyone is in a similar place.

BLJ

WKR
FWIW, I've complained that I couldn't find a factory load to produce anything smaller than a 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" group. I've tried everything from Hornady 73gr ELDM and 75rg BTHP to 77gr OTM from Fiochi, AAC, etc...

I even tried the 77gr TMKs from AAC, but the results were identical.

Today, I decided to see what the Black Hills 77gr TMKs would do.

To my surprise, it produced groups that average just over 3/4".

I think that's as good as the little rifle can do and I'm happy with it.

I'm just passing this along in case anyone is in a similar place.
I’ve had good luck with ADI 69’s in my Gen 1.

PC356

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Finally buckled and picked up a RAR Gen II in .22 ARC. Can’t stand the stock but the thing is an absolute laser with 88 gr ELD Ms. Groups as good or better than anything I have.

Attachments

• IMG_2400.jpeg
    IMG_2400.jpeg
    319.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2398.jpeg
    IMG_2398.jpeg
    459.9 KB · Views: 42

ChrisAU

WKR
Finally buckled and picked up a RAR Gen II in .22 ARC. Can’t stand the stock but the thing is an absolute laser with 88 gr ELD Ms. Groups as good or better than anything I have.

Nice, I won't be able to resist too much longer ha.

I was at Sportsmans buying some ML bullets and peaked at the gus and saw one of these. I almost asked to see it but I quickly knew I better leave. I don't need it, but I want it.

Curios what about the stock you cant stand? I dont know how Stockys wont have something for this before too long.

PC356

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I was at Sportsmans buying some ML bullets and peaked at the gus and saw one of these. I almost asked to see it but I quickly knew I better leave. I don't need it, but I want it.

Curios what about the stock you cant stand? I dont know how Stockys wont have something for this before too long.
I resisted serveral trips before I succumbed lol. Mostly just aesthetics on the factory stock, evokes a “sniper ray gun” vibe to me. Just swapped it into a B&C, definitely way more rigid but heavy. Considering modding a Gen 1 stock and trying that out. Just cleaner lines really.

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider

I don’t like how low the top of the butt pad is in relation to the bore. It feels awkward and causes the muzzle to rise slightly. I’ve put around 400+ rounds through the gun with the factory stock and the stockys carbon vg on my tikkas are much more comfortable.

I’m shooting a light recoiling 22arc so there’s not much recoil. But I’d imagine it wouldn’t feel good at all in a magnum cartridge.

Until stockys makes one. I’ve been looking at the Boyd’s quest stock. Looks decent and is 2.3lbs. It’s $200 and will need some dremel work and bedding but still a good price. Although some will thinks it’s fugly.

PC356

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Got it in the B&C stock my other Gen II BO previously resided in. Doesn’t feed nearly as well with the B&C AICS bottom metal and MDT mag as it did stock. Shoots about the same as the factory setup did so no complaints at all there anyway. Smackin the 600 yd gong with ease. Have another at 800 and can tell things start falling a part at that distance.
IMG_2428.jpeg

Last edited:

Pilsner

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone modified their Gen 2 stock to stiffen the foreend? Mine easily compress down with even moderate pressure placed downward on the barrel or upward on the foreend.
Thanks

Has anyone modified their Gen 2 stock to stiffen the foreend? Mine easily compress down with even moderate pressure placed downward on the barrel or upward on the foreend.
Thanks
I'm kicking the idea around. It shoots well as it is and is a short range gun(450 bushmaster) so I'm not sure if its worth it considering I'll likely only shoot it to 250 yards at the most.

If I were to do it, I thought about making a channel in the forend and putting a length of carbon arrow in the channel. Then epoxying over it all. I'd think it would stiffen up fairly well.

dreadi

FNG
I sold a couple of the Gen II 5.56 to two guys. One already had a Gen I. They both love them. They are shooting them with Griffin Recce 5 Mod 4.

The stocks are more comfortable feeling than the Gen 1 and the additional Cerakote finish is nice for the wet climates.