New Ruger American Gen II

yfarm

WKR
Found an anomaly perusing Ruger’s website after seeing a Gen II 223 for sale.
I own a Ranch 5.56. From the Ruger website Ranchs aside from
a Talo Industries special edition are chambered in 5.56 whereas all other models of RAs are chambered in 223. This applies to Gens I and II. I understand there are pressure differences in the 2 chamberings to accomodate for use in gas
operated actions. What advantage is there to the 5.56 chambering aside from wider availability of ammo. Would think Ruger would just offer 223 Wylde and cover both or is the 223 that much more accurate in a bolt gun?

Stugotz

FNG
I put a spring in a ruger american for a guy, and it was definitely an improvement. I actually didn't mind the trigger at all after the new spring was installed.
Can you provide a part # for the spring? Where purchased? TIA.

Found an anomaly perusing Ruger’s website after seeing a Gen II 223 for sale.
I own a Ranch 5.56. From the Ruger website Ranchs aside from
a Talo Industries special edition are chambered in 5.56 whereas all other models of RAs are chambered in 223. This applies to Gens I and II. I understand there are pressure differences in the 2 chamberings to accomodate for use in gas
operated actions. What advantage is there to the 5.56 chambering aside from wider availability of ammo. Would think Ruger would just offer 223 Wylde and cover both or is the 223 that much more accurate in a bolt gun?

223 and 556 ammo is dimensionally the same.

556 ammo is loaded to a higher pressure than 223 ammo but that has nothing to do with it being for a gas operated auto to my knowledge.

5.56 chambers in general have slightly larger dimensions and a longer throat which means that in comparison to a 223 chamber with everything else staying constant, you could load a little more powder and get a little more velocity at the same chamber pressure.

Alternatively, shooting 556 ammo in a 223 chamber should result in higher pressures and velocity than shooting it in a 556 chamber. Shooting 223 ammo in a 556 chamber similarly should result in less pressure/velocity than shooting it in a 223 chamber.

I don't know that there is a clear cut answer to what the real impact is on accuracy.

Last edited:

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
Picked one of these up in 22arc 20” bbl. First few shots with factory Black ammo 75eld ms were going 2960fps AVG. Factory 62gr eldm was 3140fps AVG. It should speed up another 100fps after break in.

Shot 2 10 shot groups at 100yds today with the factory 75elds. Wind was was 8mph from 10cl. First group was 1.2” and the second was 1.0”

Running the 10rd ar dura mag it came with is pretty smooth with the bolt oiled up. Around 50 rounds through it so far and no feeding malfunctions. I don’t like the factory stock will probably get a bell and Carlson. Looks like it has dual cocking ramps. Bolt lift is pretty heavy, going to get a longer anarchy bolt handle and ordered a $12 2lb q carbo trigger spring. With some adjusting using my fingers while tightening the action to the stock the barrel is free floating properly.

Factory stock is 28oz
Setup with a tb ultra 5 and March 1.5-15x42 and seekins rings total weight is 8.7lbs with an empty mag

clperry

Lil-Rokslider
Picked one of these up in 22arc 20” bbl. First few shots with factory Black ammo 75eld ms were going 2960fps AVG. Factory 62gr eldm was 3140fps AVG. It should speed up another 100fps after break in.

Shot 2 10 shot groups at 100yds today with the factory 75elds. Wind was was 8mph from 10cl. First group was 1.2” and the second was 1.0”

Running the 10rd ar dura mag it came with is pretty smooth with the bolt oiled up. Around 50 rounds through it so far and no feeding malfunctions. I don’t like the factory stock will probably get a bell and Carlson. Looks like it has dual cocking ramps. Bolt lift is pretty heavy, going to get a longer anarchy bolt handle and ordered a $12 2lb q carbo trigger spring. With some adjusting using my fingers while tightening the action to the stock the barrel is free floating properly.

Factory stock is 28oz
Setup with a tb ultra 5 and March 1.5-15x42 and seekins rings total weight is 8.7lbs with an empty mag

Pretty sporty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisAU

WKR
I keep wanting to order a 22 ARC one, to have a 22 ARC. Drop it in a MDT Field Stock or a Bell & Carlson. I think the B&C stocks are only available for the rotary mags?

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
I keep wanting to order a 22 ARC one, to have a 22 ARC. Drop it in a MDT Field Stock or a Bell & Carlson. I think the B&C stocks are only available for the rotary mags?
Just saw that earlier looking at the b&c’s but it might work if you use the drop in from the factory stock and just leave out the trigger gaurd it comes with. Would need to contact them and ask.

Mdt field stock looks great for the price but it’s 3lbs and the b&c is 2lb. I’m going for light and the bc is the lightest aftermarket option I’ve seen.

Another thing I didn’t mention is that the muzzle threading job was shit. Probably need to get my smith to clean it up even if it cost another $150 because the suppressor adapter is not making much contact at the base and with 1/2x28 threads it has to be putting more stress than normal on them.

The 3 position saftey is a nice upgrade and the bolt cycling is much smoother than my original R.A.

Just an FYI, the MDT Field Stock is hot garbage from an ergo perspective.

It is also pretty hard to find lower capacity Grendel/ARC mags in the for the chassis systems that use AICS. If I could could find a 5-rounder, my Gen1 6.5 Grendel would already be in a chassis.

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
Called BC and the sporter stock only works with rotary mags.

That’s how my 22 arc shoots the factory 75 grain eldm. Going to try my handloads tomorrow with 62 grain eldvt and 77 TMK

Il be interested to see how it shoots after break in but not bad so far. I’m going to see how the factory 62s shoot soon. I did order some die’s to test hand loads with the 80gr eld and see how fast I can push the 95smks just to get an idea for speed.

Let us know how it works out for you and what speeds you’re running.

brockel

WKR
Called BC and the sporter stock only works with rotary mags.

Il be interested to see how it shoots after break in but not bad so far. I’m going to see how the factory 62s shoot soon. I did order some die’s to test hand loads with the 80gr eld and see how fast I can push the 95smks just to get an idea for speed.

Let us know how it works out for you and what speeds you’re running.
What dies did you go with?

zdc1775

FNG
Another thing I didn’t mention is that the muzzle threading job was shit. Probably need to get my smith to clean it up even if it cost another $150 because the suppressor adapter is not making much contact at the base and with 1/2x28 threads it has to be putting more stress than normal on them.

Was the factory muzzle brake on yours difficult to remove?

Asking because when I went to remove the one on the 223 that I recently picked up and the barrel actually stated to turn in my homemade barrel vise before it came loose, which made me decided to call it quits for the night and to order a real barrel vise the next day before I tried it again.

Was the factory muzzle brake on yours difficult to remove?

Asking because when I went to remove the one on the 223 that I recently picked up and the barrel actually stated to turn in my homemade barrel vise before it came loose, which made me decided to call it quits for the night and to order a real barrel vise the next day before I tried it again.
Mine was stiff but we were able to get it off with a person holding the rifle and a person using a wrench. Took it off before any carbon fouling fwiw.

May require a little heat to release perhaps? I don't recall any thread locker.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Mine was stiff but we were able to get it off with a person holding the rifle and a person using a wrench. Took it off before any carbon fouling fwiw.

May require a little heat to release perhaps? I don't recall any thread locker.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
I've got a gen II 5.56 ranch, brake was a total pain to remove, required a wrench, and that thin cerekote took an impact.