New Ruger American Gen II

Snailz

FNG
They haven’t listed the specs for the LA but I can’t imagine they would all be 20”. I’d make a guess that they would be 22”I could be wrong though, but if they are looking at other companies - browning, Bergara, etc. shorter barreled options are making up a bunch of the offerings and what people are asking for.
Yeah I'd bet 22" if I had to guess. As someone not interested in a brake or a can, I'd rather see some more budget offerings go the other way with some more 24-26" offerings. However, I know I'm in the minority there. Plus brakes are an easy, high margin item that are easy to market so why make a threaded barrel so long that you people wouldn't want to use one? Market the hell our of brakes, aquire an ear pro company, and buy a bunch of stock in hearing aid manufacturers. That's just good business for modern firearms companies.

grfox92

WKR
The Tikka Roughtech can be had for $999 on eurooptic. A blued Tikka is $799, + $150 for threading, plus $125 for a brake is $1075. Not sure how it's cheaper to thread a Tikka. Roughtech also comes with heavier contour barrel and is fluted.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

The Tikka Roughtech can be had for $999 on eurooptic. A blued Tikka is $799, + $150 for threading, plus $125 for a brake is $1075. Not sure how it's cheaper to thread a Tikka. Roughtech also comes with heavier contour barrel and is fluted.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

The biggest issue with the Roughtech is that in a order to get a decent barrel length on it, you have to cut into the fluting.

I like the 6mm CM and 6mm ARC options with the Ruger, both otherwise Tikka all the way.

BTW I might be one of the odd ones but I think the Tikka stock is very good and can be modded to make it better.

z987k

WKR
I like the 6mm CM and 6mm ARC options with the Ruger, both otherwise Tikka all the way.

BTW I might be one of the odd ones but I think the Tikka stock is very good and can be modded to make it better.
You can throw them in the trash real easy and there's lot of options for aftermarket.

bnewt3

Lil-Rokslider
Potentially excited about the length of pull adjustment for a budget youth setup in .223... but for over $600 would just step up to Tikka.
Step up to tikka that has no better stock than the Gen I RA so you then probably feel like you need to spend more on the Tikka immediately?

Saw some for sale for $569. That price concerns me because how much did they skimp on these Gen 2 to keep em within $100 of the Gen 1. Maybe I’m a skeptic haha but I might pick up one. At least it’ll be easy to offload to the Fudds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MOVA

FNG
Step up to tikka that has no better stock than the Gen I RA so you then probably feel like you need to spend more on the Tikka immediately?
I wouldn't touch the stock for youth, it's mostly an action preference. Admittedly I haven't dealt with the RA action a ton, but in limited handling liked the tikka and felt it would be a better choice for youth.

It is very good for an oem, esp w/ the vertical grip

Yes and the bolster in the barrel channel is not a bad thing. Some people think its mandatory it free floats all the way to the lug. The bolster acts similar to bedding in front of the lug on bedding jobs. I have gotten exceptional accuracy from the factory stock, plus its light and there is some modularity.

I sold my KRG Bravo I had on my CTR and went back to the factory stock. For hunting purposes, the OEM is lighter and has better ergonomics for me.

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder and all that, but I like the look of these.

I'm actually shopping for another big game rifle. My issue is this, I like a nice(er) rifle, but I don't want too nice of a rifle. The original RAs are just too ugly, too crude, too cheap for me. I know they're shooters, but if I had one, I'd immediately want to start upgrading/modding, and it just doesn't make sense on that low end of a rifle. Where as, other rifles I've considered like Tikkas and higher end Wby Vanguards, etc., are almost too nice.

I want a rifle that's nice enough that I can be proud of it and not immediately want to spend $500+ on mods, but also crappy enough that I can beat on it and put some character on it without crying about it. These new RAs, especially factoring in the likely street price, might be just the ticket for me.

Snailz

FNG
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder and all that, but I like the look of these.

I'm actually shopping for another big game rifle. My issue is this, I like a nice(er) rifle, but I don't want too nice of a rifle. The original RAs are just too ugly, too crude, too cheap for me. I know they're shooters, but if I had one, I'd immediately want to start upgrading/modding, and it just doesn't make sense on that low end of a rifle. Where as, other rifles I've considered like Tikkas and higher end Wby Vanguards, etc., are almost too nice.

I want a rifle that's nice enough that I can be proud of it and not immediately want to spend $500+ on mods, but also crappy enough that I can beat on it and put some character on it without crying about it. These new RAs, especially factoring in the likely street price, might be just the ticket for me.
CVA cascade is another option, but their price is steadily creeping up. The beauty with them is that there isn’t any aftermarket stuff yet so you just have to deal with the stock package.

bnewt3

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't touch the stock for youth, it's mostly an action preference. Admittedly I haven't dealt with the RA action a ton, but in limited handling liked the tikka and felt it would be a better choice for youth.
I love my Tikka. No argument here that it's a better platform to build.

But functionally speaking, the Tikka stock is just good enough and certainly only marginally better than the RA Gen I at best. So to get the same features in the TIkka you are talking a significant jump in price. I'm not sure how that's a comparison at all.

It also frustrates me when the answer is "just spend a bit more". Sometimes people have $xxx and no more. "Just spend more for the Tikka", not everyone has that. I'm thrilled if that's the life you(nameless you) have, I have also built that kind of life.....not everyone does. So if they come asking about a Axis II vs RAR vs Patriot etc because those fit the budget, shouting Tikka or Bergara, etc at them is not productive.
Some of this has nothing to do with you or even necessarily this post, just kinda me venting so sorry @MOVA

bnewt3

Lil-Rokslider
Looks to me that its a strong competitor to the 110 Tactical and a full 2lbs lighter, street price significantly lower. Assuming they are shooters, I say well played Ruger.

MOVA

FNG
I love my Tikka. No argument here that it's a better platform to build.

But functionally speaking, the Tikka stock is just good enough and certainly only marginally better than the RA Gen I at best. So to get the same features in the TIkka you are talking a significant jump in price. I'm not sure how that's a comparison at all.

It also frustrates me when the answer is "just spend a bit more". Sometimes people have $xxx and no more. "Just spend more for the Tikka", not everyone has that. I'm thrilled if that's the life you(nameless you) have, I have also built that kind of life.....not everyone does. So if they come asking about a Axis II vs RAR vs Patriot etc because those fit the budget, shouting Tikka or Bergara, etc at them is not productive.
Some of this has nothing to do with you or even necessarily this post, just kinda me venting so sorry @MOVA
All good! Funny enough just got the missus an axis II .223 compact. Small in stature so we looked a bunch of options, most felt awful for her.

We had a strict budget... when the pawn shops had nothing, limited inventory or no idea when production would resume, other compacts became too pricey, etc. We made the call for a savage at $375 vs the rest of the field. Tikkas were $400 more, or 500ish rounds of good practice ammo, more.

Instead of waiting (she wants to cow elk hunt this fall and has taken sub 7 rifle shots in her life) we got this and can get her up to speed in time and on budget. 1st choice was an xpr compact.

Now, I would like to not teach a kid on that action, but I'll cross that bridge down the line and probably trade up the savage for what i can get.

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
CVA cascade is another option, but their price is steadily creeping up. The beauty with them is that there isn’t any aftermarket stuff yet so you just have to deal with the stock package.
I have looked at those, but you're right. The price is getting up there. I'm also not a big fan of camo stocks. I've heard they're shooters though. I haven't ruled them out completely.

Every budget gun thread on Rokslide inevitably turns into “why not spend just a few hundred more for a Tikka”.

These things are going to sell like hotcakes. I will probably buy one (22 ARC/6ARC/6Creed).

When you consider the attractive features and chamberings offered, AND the low price point it’s kind of a no brainer. Sure for a 243/270/308 a Tikka is probably a better buy. But the price difference becomes staggering when you just buy a Tikka and then drop over the initial cost of the rifle to modify it to what you want. You can’t really compare a $1500+ semi custom to a $600 factory rifle.