New rifle dilemma

Badseed

WKR
Im in the market for a new hunting rifle and I think I have settled on a 6.5prc. Before anybody points out all the other calibers available, I already have a 6.5cm and a variety of 30cal boom sticks. I dont assumes the prc is the end all to everything else but I do think it fills a very small void in my lineup.

My goal is to build/buy a semi lightweight rifle that I can hunt mule deer and black bear with and in the meantime enjoy shooting targets. I reload so there are options to maximize the efficiency of the caliber.

To maximize the options of the prc, I would need to build off a medium action or buy a seekins with the extended mag to accept longer rounds. The seekins element has piqued my interest but Im questioning if its too light and the 21” barrel has me concerned about the velocity being almost in line with the CM. However, a 21” barrel
Would be nice when hunting in the thick stuff. I hunt mainly in California so Im stuck with using lead free ammo and the value of being able to hunt with the heavy bullets in a prc is minimized.

My dilemma is this, build or buy a custom rifle or get something like a seekins element, would a 21” or 22” barrel neuter the 6.5prc into 6.5cm territory and what weight rifle is too light for the prc to enjoyably shoot targets with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The PH2 isn't that much heavier IMO. Still right at 7 lbs. I like the element but just have a hard time ponying up the extra $1500 for a lb+ weight loss. Mine is a 300 WM so I wanted the extra weight anyway. Stopped using the brake on mine too. Very nearly went with the 300PRC but shooting super heavy bullets was not on my radar and Ammo availability is better around here for 300 win mag. I'd really like to look at the 7mm PRC though. Oh, just looked. Didn't realize the 6.5 PRC was on a short action so you are getting a 24" barrel in the PH2 versus 21 with the element. I think the short action PH2 is listed at 6.9 lbs.

Samson7x

WKR
You should have plenty of velocity with a 21" barrel. I'm getting 3000fps with 140vld on my 20" proof build.

OP
Badseed

Badseed

WKR
The PH2 isn't that much heavier IMO. Still right at 7 lbs. I like the element but just have a hard time ponying up the extra $1500 for a lb+ weight loss. Mine is a 300 WM so I wanted the extra weight anyway. Stopped using the brake on mine too. Very nearly went with the 300PRC but shooting super heavy bullets was not on my radar and Ammo availability is better around here for 300 win mag. I'd really like to look at the 7mm PRC though. Oh, just looked. Didn't realize the 6.5 PRC was on a short action so you are getting a 24" barrel in the PH2 versus 21 with the element. I think the short action PH2 is listed at 6.9 lbs.

My CM is a seekins ph1 and its one of the rifles that I would never sell because it shoots so damn good. Thats kind of why I am leaning towards the seekins options especially since seekins allows for a COAL of just over 3” which covers almost all bullets for the 6.5prc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk