New rifle recs?

swampy14

FNG
I currently have a savage axis 2 in 6.5CM (shown below) that has a custom paintjob, bedded the action and a new bolt body, handle and bolt lift kit.
ZJwdRjk.jpg

Its been a decent rifle and I really like the way it looks now and it fairly handy and light weight. But i am looking for a nicer-ish rifle for myself and keep this one in case buddies want to use it.
Few things Im looking for are a threaded muzzle (for eventual suppressor), detachable mag box, and under 9.5lbs scoped.
Some of the rifles Im Interested in:
- weatherby model 307 (meat eater edition/hush edition)
-savage 110 trail hunter
-savage axis 2 pro
-Ruger amercian gen 2 (standard/predator)

I would like to stay around $1500-1700 for rifle, stock (if I change) , and optic.

Im leaning towards the weatherby just cause that is the one I keep coming back too, but Im not opposed to a semi custom build with the savage 110.
Also caliber recommendations? I would use this rifle predominately for whitetails/pigs/coyotes in East texas shots ranging from under 100yds to as far as 300ish-yds, and steel targets out to 1000+ yds. I wouldnt mind another 6.5CM (number 1 choice) , was considering 6.5PRC, 308 or 6.8 western

OP
S

swampy14

FNG
I also forgot to mention elk as potential game harvested but that will most likely be archery.

I will have to give tikka a look. Just the t3x doesn’t come with a threaded barrel

Lando

WKR
I'd look at the Sako S20 in 6.5 PRC or CM or the 6mm Creed in the Ruger American gen 2. Out to 300 yards max, I'd try to find a Trijicon on a deal or keep your eye out for a 6x42 SWFA scope.

Matt5266

WKR
My recommendation is still the same. Yes but having it done is fairly inexpensive..... my .223 tikka t3x

Attachments

• 20240830_190632.jpg
    20240830_190632.jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 20
I highly recommend the Weatherby. I have 2 307's, a mark V, and multiple vanguard's and all are tack drivers. I know a lot of guys love the tikkas but I have never shot one so I don't have an opinion on them. For what you have listed, I would get a 6.5CM or PRC.

OP
S

swampy14

FNG
I highly recommend the Weatherby. I have 2 307's, a mark V, and multiple vanguard's and all are tack drivers. I know a lot of guys love the tikkas but I have never shot one so I don't have an opinion on them. For what you have listed, I would get a 6.5CM or PRC.
I like that the tikkas have such a strong following but that 307 has just all the things I’m looking for

nobody

WKR
Tikka T3X. Only other option is a Sako, but probably out of your price range. Spend the $120 to get it threaded and you’ll be light years ahead from a functionality and reliability standpoint.

If you want your rifle to just work, no funny business and no BS, tikka or Sako. If you love question marks and unknowns (or more like known issues and shortcomings), buy something else.

You could buy a stainless Tikka from UM and have them cut and thread before shipping to your ffl. OEM Stock is fine with something to raise the comb and a vertical grip. X bolt 2 suppressor ready version also maybe worth a look vs the 307. https://www.guns.com/firearms/p/browning-x-bolt-2-speed-spr?i=381462

Personally I'd struggle to support anything hush or meateater so ive never considered a weatherby. Everything else you listed is just kind of a same version of what you already have