New Rifle Build- Bullet and Caliber- Mono metal- Thoughts?

The heaviest .243 Hammer is a 104 tipped, and it shows you need a 1/7 twist.

At 18” I’d probably just start with standard powders. H4895 or H4350 are two listed. RL16 would probably be a great choice but its impossible to find.

Keep us posted. I have a Tikka 695 in a 30-06 they I’ve contemplated using for a 6CM build.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
3- using the suppressor above what is the lightest profile barrel I should use? I understand there is an issue with threading a suppressor onto to thin of a muzzle but don’t know the details or options out there.
Unless you want to use an adapter or flared end on the barrel the easy button is PBB or PVA both have a profile that drops down to .75” quickly and then is taperless so it has a good shoulder for 5/8-24 threads which are common. You could go smaller and save a few ounces but you’ll have to use an adapter or flare the contour at the end. Fluting might save you those same ounces if you’re chasing them.
Keep us posted. I have a Tikka 695 in a 30-06 they I’ve contemplated using for a 6CM build.
Imho get a T3/T3x for the 6cm build. The M695 is a bit heavier and you’d be wasting the 3.49” (iirc) mag length on the 6cm. Build a 6-06 on it or something that makes use of the extra length. ;)

OP
DagOtto

DagOtto

FNG
Reading this whole thread, I was thinking 6 creedmoor for sure. It meets you're requirements and you can get some damn good velocity if you step on it. Get it throated with your preferred bullet at the neck/shoulder junction and fill it full of n555.

I don't have a bunch of experience with monos because I don't use them. However sending some lighterweight monos out of my 6 creed has crossed my mind just to see what they do. I might do that next year. I have the 108eldm, 108 Berger elite hunter, and a 95gr BT to get data on this year.

You can get factory ammo, brass is super easy to come by, and it just makes the most sense to me.
Thanks for your thoughts and for the load info. This is going to be the gun build that makes me reload.. So I'm a newb when it comes to load development.

OP
DagOtto

DagOtto

FNG
The heaviest .243 Hammer is a 104 tipped, and it shows you need a 1/7 twist.

At 18” I’d probably just start with standard powders. H4895 or H4350 are two listed. RL16 would probably be a great choice but its impossible to find.

Thanks, I mistook that Hammer made a slightly heavier bullet. Wondering if the 1/7 twist instead of the 1/7.5 hurts performance with a lighter (95 gr.) bullet?

OP
DagOtto

DagOtto

FNG
Unless you want to use an adapter or flared end on the barrel the easy button is PBB or PVA both have a profile that drops down to .75” quickly and then is taperless so it has a good shoulder for 5/8-24 threads which are common. You could go smaller and save a few ounces but you’ll have to use an adapter or flare the contour at the end. Fluting might save you those same ounces if you’re chasing them.

Imho get a T3/T3x for the 6cm build. The M695 is a bit heavier and you’d be wasting the 3.49” (iirc) mag length on the 6cm. Build a 6-06 on it or something that makes use of the extra length. ;)
Great info on the barrel, I will lean this way for sure. And probably won't bother with fluting.. I am coming up with a rough initial weigh of 8.5 pounds (with scope and suppressor) which I do want to get down a bit. I'd go carbon as my other 2 builds have been proof carbon, but I want to use this gun as my 500+ round a year practice gun so hope to burn out barrels! Also kind of want to keep this towards the "budget" side since the action is a tikka and not Defiance etc.

I hear you on "wasting" the extra length of the action, and was leaning towards the 6-06 and others for that reason. But after reading input on this site and looking at ballistics comparison it doesn't seem to make sense. I guess you might get an extra cartridge in the magazine between 6-06 and 6cm but still......

That brings up another newbie question though: I've heard that Tikka magazines are generic and they use a spacer or filler in the back of the magazines to make them fit different cartridges. Is this true? And if so, where can I purchase fillers to change my mgs from 30-06 to 6 CM?

Appreciate all the help!

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That brings up another newbie question though: I've heard that Tikka magazines are generic and they use a spacer or filler in the back of the magazines to make them fit different cartridges. Is this true? And if so, where can I purchase fillers to change my mgs from 30-06 to 6 CM?

Appreciate all the help!
they are molded in, you just get the size you need. Off memory there are M (2.8something”) and M+ (2.9something”) which both use the short bolt stop. And L (3.3something”) which uses the long.

There also ones for 223 and WSM.

180ls1

WKR
Thanks, I mistook that Hammer made a slightly heavier bullet. Wondering if the 1/7 twist instead of the 1/7.5 hurts performance with a lighter (95 gr.) bullet?

For what its worth, Hammer load at 3400fps has dropped more animals (5 of 6) than any other load I have used.

I would be a speed freak with them even if you give up BC. Yes, go with the faster twist too.